With all this talk about a nexus/droid prime, I'm wondering what Droid branding really is. Does it mean a phone is exclusive to VZW and carries VZW bloat? If so, why was the Fascinate not a Droid? If you're gonna say the Fascinate was not exclusive and was just a rehash of the Galaxy S, isn't the DROID Bionic also a rehash of the Atrix? Someone tell me what makes a Droid a Droid.
    08-30-2011 02:24 PM
    With all this talk about a nexus/droid prime, I'm wondering what Droid branding really is. Does it mean a phone is exclusive to VZW and carries VZW bloat? If so, why was the Fascinate not a Droid? If you're gonna say the Fascinate was not exclusive and was just a rehash of the Galaxy S, isn't the DROID Bionic also a rehash of the Atrix? Someone tell me what makes a Droid a Droid.
    It is when VZW decides its a Droid....Plain and simple...
    08-30-2011 02:33 PM
    It is when VZW decides its a Droid....Plain and simple...
    Pretty much, but to go into greater detail, its what Verizon chooses its best phones in their line up to get the DROID branding. Verizon pays Lucas Films INC. for the licensing of the name DROID. Get it? When people say I have a DROID 'blank' phone, that automatically suggests it's a Verizon phone and not another carriers.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    08-30-2011 03:40 PM
    What is a Droid phone?

NOT a Nexus
    08-30-2011 04:08 PM
    Clever troll is clever.
    TuxDotKing likes this.
    08-30-2011 04:23 PM
    Pretty much, but to go into greater detail, its what Verizon chooses its best phones in their line up to get the DROID branding. Verizon pays Lucas Films INC. for the licensing of the name DROID. Get it? When people say I have a DROID 'blank' phone, that automatically suggests it's a Verizon phone and not another carriers.

Fascinate was arguably the "best" phone on VZW when it came out....I guess what it comes down to is that VZW is paying tons of money to Lucas Films to cause confusion in their marketing of phones. Most non-nerds assume Droid = Android, and when I try to tell em they're wrong, all I give em is a confusing explanation.
    08-30-2011 06:04 PM
    Clever troll is clever.
    You know as per the forum rules calling someone a troll is trolling. Just report them and let us take care of them.

Verizon give the Droid name to their best phones. Some may say that's not true cause they have a good phone on Verizon that's not called Droid. But from what I can tell its limited to the phone they think are the best.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    08-30-2011 07:47 PM
    Fascinate was arguably the "best" phone on VZW when it came out....I guess what it comes down to is that VZW is paying tons of money to Lucas Films to cause confusion in their marketing of phones. Most non-nerds assume Droid = Android, and when I try to tell em they're wrong, all I give em is a confusing explanation.
    Yea well it is all up to Verizon to give a phone the branding.

And to ppl being confused, I get a lot of them too. They would be arguing a low end android phone from Cricket is a Droid... haha sometimes you just gotta let it go

08-30-2011 08:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD