Theory on why you won't see a GS2 on Verizon

anon(392870)

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I know everyone has seen the most recent theory of why there won't be a GS2 on Verizon but have you read this yet?

Read here: Our Theory On Why Verizon Skipped Over The Samsung Galaxy S II ? Android Phones, Android Tablets, News, Tech, Gadgets And More, Thedroidguy

Take the time to read it and it actually makes a lot of since if you see it logically.

Would love for this to be the case, but it's wishful thinking. Why would they be announcing an LTE phone for United States VZW in Berlin? Different parts of the spectrum are used for LTE in Europe and LTE in United States (even for VZW and ATT in the US).

Also, you're talking about a GSM GS2 if it's going to have LTE in Europe, not a CDMA.

They would be completely different phones with completely different radios. I wish it were the case, but it seems like a very long shot at this point.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason behind Verizon not offering the GS2 is that they want to be able to charge a premium for their top-tier phones. I mean, come on, they are selling the Charge for $299 and the specs for that phone come nowhere near that of the GS2. OK, the Charge has LTE, but is that worth a $100 premium to most people?

Sprint is offering the GS2 for $199 on contract. Verizon would never offer their version of the GS2 for that low price.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I think the reason behind Verizon not offering the GS2 is that they want to be able to charge a premium for their top-tier phones. I mean, come on, they are selling the Charge for $299 and the specs for that phone come nowhere near that of the GS2. OK, the Charge has LTE, but is that worth a $100 premium to most people?

Sprint is offering the GS2 for $199 on contract. Verizon would never offer their version of the GS2 for that low price.

Verizon has never shied away from charging what they want. They've put a premium on all of the LTE phones, regardless of what other carriers are charging for similar phones (and even their "4G" phones). So, I don't think they'd have any problem at all slapping a $299 price tag on a Verizon-branded GSII even when Sprint is putting a $199 price tag on theirs.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has never shied away from charging what they want.

Hence one of my reasons for ditching Verizon and going someplace else. With the new tiered data plans and the premium pricing they put on their top-tier phones, Verizon literally defines the phrase "corporate greed".

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Hence one of my reasons for ditching Verizon and going someplace else. With the new tiered data plans and the premium pricing they put on their top-tier phones, Verizon literally defines the phrase "corporate greed".

I admit that I'm entertaining the thought of moving to Sprint. But, if I do, my overall bill will be more. So, for me at least, while their prices are unarguably high, it would still be higher for me to go elsewhere.

blaqbird

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
In a way the article I linked makes a little sense from a business stand point. Who wants to be the business selling a 3G GS2 when everyone esle is selling a *4G device? That opens up a lot of anti verizon marketing with "we have 4g versions and you don't".

*AT&T / T-Mobile being an advanced 3G with sprint being the only real 4G in a sense*

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Don't forget that even though the phone is 100 bucks more, Sprint charges an extra 10 bucks a month for 4g service, so essentially Sprint is getting more from you on the 4g side. The plans themselves are a little lower though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol