October Dreaming

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone really think this phone is going to arrive in October? I would be amazed. My guess it's closer to December than to October.

The whole "it's coming in October" was Samsung throwing a bone to the Verizon users disappointed that the GS2 wasn't coming to Big Red.

Sprint's version of the GS2 passed through wifi certification in June and and it doesn't arrive until mid-September. Using the same timeline we're looking at December.

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised if it came out in October.

I dont think Verizon would pass on the GSII if the Nexus was still 3-ish months away.

Plus I'm sure Google wants to get this out sooner then the other Nexuses (Nexi?) to better take advantage of the holiday season.

And then theres the iPhone which of rumored to come out October 21st and Im sure Google wants this to be on the market around the same time.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I suppose I'm too under the belief (and hope) that it does come out in October. I also don't think that Verizon would pass up on the GSII for a device that would come out months later, especially during a time when the other carriers are releasing their versions. The bluetooth and WiFi certifications certainly don't preclude it from being released in October.

Maybe the bigger thing is the potential release of the Vigor and iPhone in October. Typically Verizon doesn't release devices to compete with each other, and with other devices rumored for release in October, that'll be hard to do.

holysnikey

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that they will get the Nexus Prime out by October to compete with the iPhone and push back the Vigor to November. Although we have already seen photos of the Vigor it makes more sense to put a brand new Android OS out to compete on a Google brand phone with the iPhone with the possibly new OS on it. I heard the iPhone might not ship with iOS 5 though so that would be the perfect time for Google to take the holiday season upper hand by being more prepared.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint had so many things going on that a Sept release was most likely to happen being the Epic was released at the end of August last year... I too am hoping for October release but on Sprint i would guess a bit later. Definitely on 1 if not all carriers i would bet on October for an Announcement and release day..

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Im starting to not believe Verizon is NOT getting a Nexus. All this hype, not much proof thats its a nexus. Just like what happened to the gs2.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Im starting to not believe Verizon is NOT getting a Nexus. All this hype, not much proof thats its a nexus. Just like what happened to the gs2.

Honestly, there's not much proof that it's not a Nexus either. There's only the BGR article claiming the "Droid Prime" name and everyone else has run with it.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
i've predicted all along that it would be announced in Oct, but wouldn't release until Nov (probably around Black Friday). nothing to back that up, just my WAG...

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

There never was a GS2 model number for VZW. The SCH-i515 is a Verizon model number and the phone exists. Now we just have to wait to learn what it's called, what it looks like, and when it will be available.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
There never was a GS2 model number for VZW. The SCH-i515 is a Verizon model number and the phone exists. Now we just have to wait to learn what it's called, what it looks like, and when it will be available.

But i515 is no where near nexus model number. I feel it will just be another Verizon bloatware full touchwiz phone. I want a nexus with Google updates.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
But i515 is no where near nexus model number. I feel it will just be another Verizon bloatware full touchwiz phone. I want a nexus with Google updates.

Correct, it's a Verizon-specific model number. But I think they do that with all of their phones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm getting at though is that I don't think it means anything or gives any inclination one way or the other on whether the SCH-i515 is a Nexus phone or not -- I think it just means that it's a Verizon phone.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Correct, it's a Verizon-specific model number. But I think they do that with all of their phones. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm getting at though is that I don't think it means anything or gives any inclination one way or the other on whether the SCH-i515 is a Nexus phone or not -- I think it just means that it's a Verizon phone.

true story.

xcalibur1011

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I feel this "prime" will turn into another thunderbolt/bionic you will be waiting and waiting then guess what? it's January 2012. Verizon is always behind on getting current phones and everyone of you know it. That's why I'm getting the bionic and not waiting a phone which in my opinion is a pipe dream as far as it being released between october-November.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I feel this "prime" will turn into another thunderbolt/bionic you will be waiting and waiting then guess what? it's January 2012. Verizon is always behind on getting current phones and everyone of you know it. That's why I'm getting the bionic and not waiting a phone which in my opinion is a pipe dream as far as it being released between october-November.

you may be right. personally, i think we will definitely have the Prime before the end of the year, but maybe not. regardless, i'm willing to gamble with 2-3 months in the hopes that the Prime comes out. if not, then all i've lost is 2-3 months. but if i get the Bionic now, i've just gambled and lost 20-24 months. even if i could later sell the Bionic, i would still probably take a $150+ hit on the price. so, i would essentially have paid 150 bucks to rent a phone for 3 months - no thanks.

other people may be in a position such that they can't wait another 2-3 months, or can afford to get both. i'm not in either position, so it makes sense for me to wait it out a couple more months.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
you may be right. personally, i think we will definitely have the Prime before the end of the year, but maybe not. regardless, i'm willing to gamble with 2-3 months in the hopes that the Prime comes out. if not, then all i've lost is 2-3 months. but if i get the Bionic now, i've just gambled and lost 20-24 months. even if i could later sell the Bionic, i would still probably take a $150+ hit on the price. so, i would essentially have paid 150 bucks to rent a phone for 3 months - no thanks.

other people may be in a position such that they can't wait another 2-3 months, or can afford to get both. i'm not in either position, so it makes sense for me to wait it out a couple more months.

I really need to upgrade soon. My plan (all subject to change as I've become accustomed to) is that I'll probably wait until the first of October. And depending on what we know then will determine which way I go. If there's more news on the Prime that indicates an imminent or "coming soon" release, then I'll wait. Otherwise, I'll probably go ahead and grab the Bionic.

I'm one who doesn't really care whether the SCH-i515 is a Nexus or not though. If it has the internals of the GS2 or better, then I'll get it. I'll also probably check out the Bionic tomorrow or soon to see if that really is an option for me as well.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

If Google does a ICS announcement in late October they will likely have a prototype of the phone whatever it's called. That phone would likely be released a few weeks from the announcement.

Google will not allow a lengthy delay if they plan an announcement.

xcalibur1011

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site

I fall into to group of has an OG Droid on it's last leg, waited for the thunderbolt since last year only for it to disappoint, then caught wind of the bionic only for that to get kicked back, then came the mighty SG2 guess what? No F'ing SG2. But wait here the Comes the Prime xcalibur even though it's speculation about it's release date. One year of waiting for "the phone". I throw in the towel my fellow android fans.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie