09-19-2011 09:56 PM
142 12345 ...
tools
    as i've said before, even if they name it the Droid Prime, that doesn't necessarily mean it will have bloat and custom UI. they could use the "Droid" name just for marketing and name recognition, and it will still be a pure Nexus device, or maybe a Nexus-type device (like the OG). if they name it Droid Prime, the only thing that means for sure is that VZW will pay royalties to Lucas Films, Ltd for the devices sold - everything beyond that is conjecture.
    now, as i've also said before, if they name it Droid Prime, and then add bloare, custom UI, and lock the BL, then i wholeheartedly join in the objections.
    And how are the updates going for the OG droid? How late did they get gingerbread?
    09-09-2011 09:16 PM
    And how are the updates going for the OG droid? How late did they get gingerbread?
    We never got Gingerbread due to hardware restrictions: without modification to how GB manages memory, you usually can't run more than 1 or 2 apps simultaneously.

When I ran it before devs made the mods, I couldn't say..run Trillian IM in the background and surf the web...eventually Trillian would end up quitting in the background.

He's right about it not necessarily having loads of crapware though if it's a Droid branded phone. The only extra app on my OG Droid was Amazon MP3. While the bootloader was locked (like nearly every Android phone) it wasn't encrypted IIRC.
    09-09-2011 09:59 PM
    I am planning to buy a new phone. Could you please suggest which is better, Nokia C6 or Samsung Galaxy? Both are 5 MP already.
    09-10-2011 06:46 AM
    Its also possible that Verizon would use the Droid name for their version of the Nexus to keep the "Droid" moniker going. It could be bloat free (or not) but the OG droid was their first and it was bloat free. Anything is possible and Eric Schmidt did say ICS in October/November so wanting the next Nexus phone in October isn't a guarantee unless ICS releases by then. Could very well be Black Friday release.
    09-10-2011 07:52 AM
    Its also possible that Verizon would use the Droid name for their version of the Nexus to keep the "Droid" moniker going. It could be bloat free (or not) but the OG droid was their first and it was bloat free. Anything is possible and Eric Schmidt did say ICS in October/November so wanting the next Nexus phone in October isn't a guarantee unless ICS releases by then. Could very well be Black Friday release.
    Now that Verizon has the iPhone I don't understand why they keep up this Droid branding. I guess they want people to be attracted to their Droid branded exclusive phones. The problem is that there's nothing really cool about "Droid" anymore. The whole campaign is for people who don't know anything about phones (which I assume is the majority). Unfortunately for Verizon users this means we didn't get the Nexus and the GS2. It's becoming a frustrating exercise.
    dcvanderbush likes this.
    09-10-2011 07:56 AM
    Verizon remained number one without the iphone. Why would they now kill the droid name? That makes zero sense to me.
    crzycrkr likes this.
    09-10-2011 08:06 AM
    Verizon remained number one without the iphone. Why would they now kill the droid name? That makes zero sense to me.
    Verizon remained number 1 before the Droid name. They'll remain number 1 as long has they have the best network. The Droid name could go away tomorrow and not effect their market share one bit.
    09-10-2011 09:21 AM
    Verizon remained number 1 before the Droid name. They'll remain number 1 as long has they have the best network. The Droid name could go away tomorrow and not effect their market share one bit.
    so true. network is king, always.
    09-10-2011 09:33 AM
    I am planning to buy a new phone. Could you please suggest which is better, Nokia C6 or Samsung Galaxy? Both are 5 MP already.
    Depending where you live. There are lots of newer phones out there or coming very soon. Did the GS or Nc6 just come out where you are? I would go to my carrier, see what there newest phones are, then check the proper forum that matches those phones and see which one is best for you... PS I would go with the galaxy S :O)
    09-10-2011 09:46 AM
    Rickhamilton is right. In fact, I got gb on my OG before just about every other phone, even tho it is a Droid device and even tho stock OG wasn't capable of having gb. That's because it is a Nexus-type device. Which merely highlights the point I was making.
    09-10-2011 10:17 AM
    Maybe I am misunderstanding him, bit I don't think he's saying they stayed #1 because of the Droid brand. I think he's saying they stayed #1 without the iPhone. Then saying why kill the Droid brand. I also think it would be extremely silly to kill the brand that people know as well as Apple when it comes to phones. Why? All you're doing is losing potential Android sales

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk
    09-10-2011 10:50 AM
    Verizon just got too ridiculous with their prices and phones. I went to Sprint and couldn't be more happier. BRING ON MORE Google Nexus phones. I'm so hoping the Prime will be the next Google STOCK Android phone. No Verizon bloatware crap (i know there is rooting) but still...
    09-10-2011 01:41 PM
    I am a happy Sprint family plan customer. Like my Nexus-S 4G hate to switch to Verizon for the Nexus-Prime and pay those high prices. And next year with Sprint's new LTE network they will be getting the Motorola Nexus-Four.
    09-10-2011 02:28 PM
    I will get a Nexus Prime if it hits Verizon on time but if not I will seriously question the minds of Verizon
    hmackenz likes this.
    09-11-2011 07:35 PM
    Verizon would have to have serious reasons to kill the Droid brand name considering everyone outside of these forums thinks all Android phones are Droids.. it is what sent the OS to the top of the market share it is today. yes the commercials make me fear for my safety every moment wondering if the device is going to suddenly betray me and murder me in my sleep but it's the angle Android needed to bump it into the game. the G1 was great as well as the few others that were out there but you can't deny the the Motorola Droid and it's edgy marketing made it stand out enough above Apple to get Android the attention it needed and deserved.
    hmackenz, crzycrkr, jroc and 1 others like this.
    09-11-2011 08:13 PM
    True, but you can't necessarily say that the same marketing angle that got Android started is the same angle that will keep it going.

Demographics mature and broaden, devices become more complex and try to find new niches...I disagree that marketing won't have to change.

If design philosophy and device specs evolve, it's due to the market. To stay competitive, your marketing should generally evolve as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    kieelo likes this.
    09-12-2011 12:14 AM
    True, but you can't necessarily say that the same marketing angle that got Android started is the same angle that will keep it going.

Demographics mature and broaden, devices become more complex and try to find new niches...I disagree that marketing won't have to change.

If design philosophy and device specs evolve, it's due to the market. To stay competitive, your marketing should generally evolve as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    absolutely true and now that more carriers have Android devices and Android is so world wide popular different marketing strategies have and will evolve. Sony with the Play had the whole underground black market surgery giving Andy thumbs thing (creepy).
    For Verizon though as long as people are going nuts in these forums over what the next Droid phone is going to be they'll keep doing the Droid thing with their high-end devices..
    So, IF Verizon is getting this Nexus device and Verizon is as evil as everyone claims and they would NEVER allow a stock phone without bloatware on it then they will definitely slap the bloat and the Droid name on it and sell millions of them. of course who knows what kind of deal they have going with Lucas to use "Droid" so that may expire eventually or they may tire having to pay the bearded man who keeps ruining our childhoods royalties..
    09-12-2011 12:57 AM
    absolutely true and now that more carriers have Android devices and Android is so world wide popular different marketing strategies have and will evolve. Sony with the Play had the whole underground black market surgery giving Andy thumbs thing (creepy).
    For Verizon though as long as people are going nuts in these forums over what the next Droid phone is going to be they'll keep doing the Droid thing with their high-end devices..
    So, IF Verizon is getting this Nexus device and Verizon is as evil as everyone claims and they would NEVER allow a stock phone without bloatware on it then they will definitely slap the bloat and the Droid name on it and sell millions of them. of course who knows what kind of deal they have going with Lucas to use "Droid" so that may expire eventually or they may tire having to pay the bearded man who keeps ruining our childhoods royalties..
    You're over estimating the power of the Droid brand. Yes, it was important in the beginning, but "Android" is established now. Sprint runs ads all the time with the Android brand and logo. This is has been going on for almost two years.

I would assume more people now own Android devices that aren't "Droids" than at any other time.
    09-12-2011 06:58 AM
    The growth of Android woroldwide will be the reason Verizon sees the Nexus.

Verizon can no longer tell Google no. Simple as that.
    09-12-2011 07:19 AM
    You're over estimating the power of the Droid brand. Yes, it was important in the beginning, but "Android" is established now. Sprint runs ads all the time with the Android brand and logo. This is has been going on for almost two years.

I would assume more people now own Android devices that aren't "Droids" than at any other time.
    I still believe you are overestimating the tech intelligence of the average consumer. There are millions of people out there that only know them as Droid's. It would be completely insane for Verizon to give up that name recognition. Bottom line is the Droid branding isn't going anywhere any time soon.

cggeek911 likes this.
    09-12-2011 07:28 AM
    Not saying this isn't possible or isn't going to happen, but I think you are giving Verizon a bit too much credit, or Google not enough. I know Verizon wouldn't like it, but I would still be extremely surprised to see a phone with the Nexus name on Verizon with any bloat at all. That's why I put more faith in the Droid Prime rumors. It may be the same phone as the next Nexus, but it won't actually be a Nexus.

09-12-2011 07:29 AM
    I still beloved you are overestimating the tech intelligence of the average consumer. There are millions of people out there that only know them as Droid's. It would be completely insane for Verizon to give up that name recognition. Bottom line is the Droid branding isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Brand recognition has nothing to do with tech intelligence. Android as a brand is much larger than Droid at this point.
    wyseguy77 likes this.
    09-12-2011 07:49 AM
    Brand recognition has nothing to do with tech intelligence. Android as a brand is much larger than Droid at this point.
    Brand recognition absolutely has to do with tech intelligence. When it comes to tthe general public that has little or no tech intelligence, they look for what they've heard of and what they've seen advertised. There are Droid billboards, advertisements, and commercials everywhere. These people probably make up at least 90% of the market. People still walk into Sprint stores asking for a Droid. I have to disagree, Android as a brand is only much larger for people in the know. For a large portion of everyone else its still a Droid. Why would Verizon give that up?

ejaymd11 and Wicket like this.
    09-12-2011 08:11 AM
    Brand recognition absolutely has to do with tech intelligence. When it comes to tthe general public that has little or no tech intelligence, they look for what they've heard of and what they've seen advertised. There are Droid billboards, advertisements, and commercials everywhere. These people probably make up at least 90% of the market. People still walk into Sprint stores asking for a Droid. I have to disagree, Android as a brand is only much larger for people in the know. For a large portion of everyone else its still a Droid. Why would Verizon give that up?

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I have had more than a few coworkers approach me asking me what is wrong with their "Droids". When I take a look at their phones, they are the cheapest Android phones I have ever seen not Verizon DROID phones. I also get a lot of "I'm so jealous of the screen size of those Droids" as they take a look at my HTC Evo. So yeah, tech intelligence is little to non when it comes to people who are aren't following these things closely.
    09-12-2011 08:32 AM
    I agree with this statement wholeheartedly. I have had more than a few coworkers approach me asking me what is wrong with their "Droids". When I take a look at their phones, they are the cheapest Android phones I have ever seen not Verizon DROID phones. I also get a lot of "I'm so jealous of the screen size of those Droids" as they take a look at my HTC Evo. So yeah, tech intelligence is little to non when it comes to people who are aren't following these things closely.
    Exactly. And those people are the vast majority. If they weren't, there would be no need to advertise. Name recognition is everything.

09-12-2011 09:08 AM
142 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD