Samsung Galaxy Nexus?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile phones do use bands that work with 3G overseas. They're just not compatible with the 3G that AT&T uses. But they both work with overseas 3G.

Sent from my SHIFTAO5P using Tapatalk

Okay... but that has nothing to do with the release politics in the United States.

phiish

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
I love my NS4G and my Droid X I would like to see Motorola build a Nexus device they may have crappy locked boot loaders but they have really nice build quality. I am just ready to see some FCC certifications leak or some pictures can only read about the phone so much.

Wicket

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
The first Nexus was released originally on T-mobile. I'm not sure where everyone is getting "Verizon would be limited" when releasing a phone exclusively on T-Mobile is as limited as you can get.

The only reason this phone could be the Droid Prime is because of Verizon not because of Google.

I was under the impression that eventually the N1 was released worldwide but it may have been just the fact that it did work overseas so everyone imported it across the pond.

yes the Droid Tag is limited to select Verizon devices, that's why a Verizon variant called the Droid Prime vs the Nexus Prime could make sense. same phone but maybe some tweaks to the software and some bloat and that's easy enough to take care of with root and a port of the Nexus Primes build for those of us that would actually care.. we have to remember what Phil and the gang always say.. "we are the minority".

bhop42

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that eventually the N1 was released worldwide but it may have been just the fact that it did work overseas so everyone imported it across the pond.

yes the Droid Tag is limited to select Verizon devices, that's why a Verizon variant called the Droid Prime vs the Nexus Prime could make sense. same phone but maybe some tweaks to the software and some bloat and that's easy enough to take care of with root and a port of the Nexus Primes build for those of us that would actually care.. we have to remember what Phil and the gang always say.. "we are the minority".

Exactly. Droid is to Verizon as Nexus is to Google. No other carrier has their own "elite" phone branding so it would make sense to call it the Droid Prime.

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Just had a thought....The source may have been eluding to the similarity of the device to the SGSII and have the name as a hint/joke....

Remember that SGSII with LTE? Could be remarkably similar

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
but i dont want a droid prime i want a nexus prime. I want updates.from google first. I dont want verizons crapware nor do i want touchwiz. I want a phone i can finally keep the stock rom. Only root for certain.apps. As much as I enjoy what the devs do, bugs are always found with custom roms.

snowglyder

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
but i dont want a droid prime i want a nexus prime. I want updates.from google first. I dont want verizons crapware nor do i want touchwiz. I want a phone i can finally keep the stock rom. Only root for certain.apps. As much as I enjoy what the devs do, bugs are always found with custom roms.

I concur.

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
as i've said before, even if they name it the Droid Prime, that doesn't necessarily mean it will have bloat and custom UI. they could use the "Droid" name just for marketing and name recognition, and it will still be a pure Nexus device, or maybe a Nexus-type device (like the OG). if they name it Droid Prime, the only thing that means for sure is that VZW will pay royalties to Lucas Films, Ltd for the devices sold - everything beyond that is conjecture.

now, as i've also said before, if they name it Droid Prime, and then add bloatware, custom UI, and lock the BL, then i wholeheartedly join in the objections.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Exactly. Droid is to Verizon as Nexus is to Google. No other carrier has their own "elite" phone branding so it would make sense to call it the Droid Prime.

Sprint has the EVO branding... With 4 devices with that name , I would say its an elite line for Sprint:O)
But i do get what you mean

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
as i've said before, even if they name it the Droid Prime, that doesn't necessarily mean it will have bloat and custom UI. they could use the "Droid" name just for marketing and name recognition, and it will still be a pure Nexus device, or maybe a Nexus-type device (like the OG). if they name it Droid Prime, the only thing that means for sure is that VZW will pay royalties to Lucas Films, Ltd for the devices sold - everything beyond that is conjecture.
now, as i've also said before, if they name it Droid Prime, and then add bloare, custom UI, and lock the BL, then i wholeheartedly join in the objections.

And how are the updates going for the OG droid? How late did they get gingerbread?

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
And how are the updates going for the OG droid? How late did they get gingerbread?

We never got Gingerbread due to hardware restrictions: without modification to how GB manages memory, you usually can't run more than 1 or 2 apps simultaneously.

When I ran it before devs made the mods, I couldn't say..run Trillian IM in the background and surf the web...eventually Trillian would end up quitting in the background.

He's right about it not necessarily having loads of crapware though if it's a Droid branded phone. The only extra app on my OG Droid was Amazon MP3. While the bootloader was locked (like nearly every Android phone) it wasn't encrypted IIRC.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Its also possible that Verizon would use the Droid name for their version of the Nexus to keep the "Droid" moniker going. It could be bloat free (or not) but the OG droid was their first and it was bloat free. Anything is possible and Eric Schmidt did say ICS in October/November so wanting the next Nexus phone in October isn't a guarantee unless ICS releases by then. Could very well be Black Friday release.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Its also possible that Verizon would use the Droid name for their version of the Nexus to keep the "Droid" moniker going. It could be bloat free (or not) but the OG droid was their first and it was bloat free. Anything is possible and Eric Schmidt did say ICS in October/November so wanting the next Nexus phone in October isn't a guarantee unless ICS releases by then. Could very well be Black Friday release.

Now that Verizon has the iPhone I don't understand why they keep up this Droid branding. I guess they want people to be attracted to their Droid branded exclusive phones. The problem is that there's nothing really cool about "Droid" anymore. The whole campaign is for people who don't know anything about phones (which I assume is the majority). Unfortunately for Verizon users this means we didn't get the Nexus and the GS2. It's becoming a frustrating exercise.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Verizon remained number one without the iphone. Why would they now kill the droid name? That makes zero sense to me.

Verizon remained number 1 before the Droid name. They'll remain number 1 as long has they have the best network. The Droid name could go away tomorrow and not effect their market share one bit.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am planning to buy a new phone. Could you please suggest which is better, Nokia C6 or Samsung Galaxy? Both are 5 MP already.:confused:
Depending where you live. There are lots of newer phones out there or coming very soon. Did the GS or Nc6 just come out where you are? I would go to my carrier, see what there newest phones are, then check the proper forum that matches those phones and see which one is best for you... PS I would go with the galaxy S :O)

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site

Rickhamilton is right. In fact, I got gb on my OG before just about every other phone, even tho it is a Droid device and even tho stock OG wasn't capable of having gb. That's because it is a Nexus-type device. Which merely highlights the point I was making.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol