09-30-2011 03:16 AM
316 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I am waiting for the nexus. The Bionic just didn't do it for me. I HAD to get something now though, because my OG is dying. Power button only works intermittently, and the earpiece speaker is partially blown. I always use speakerphone when making calls... not the best option for privacy.

I bought a Droid X off contract on eBay. That will hold me for however long it takes for the Nexus to drop. This way I can play with it in the store before commiting to a purchase. I bought the Bionic sight unseen, and wish I wouldn't have.

If we don't get the Nexus on VZW, then I guess I'll look at the Vigor. Or at least check out the Prime, if indeed it does turn out to be a droid branded variety of the Nexus. I hope not.

Who knows? There's really nothing concrete at this point anyway, so my plans may change when official announcements drop.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    ManBearPig618 and Bearly like this.
    09-20-2011 07:48 AM
    Ice Cream Sandwich vs iPhone 4S
    Jelly Bean vs iPhone 5

I have a "feeling" that Ice Cream Sandwich is not going to be all that great, as it was supposed to be. Google doesn't want to blow it's wad on an updated iPhone 4. It will hold back the goo for the iPhone 5 which will probably be happening around the summer of next year.
    09-20-2011 11:49 AM
    Ice Cream Sandwich vs iPhone 4S
    Jelly Bean vs iPhone 5

I have a "feeling" that Ice Cream Sandwich is not going to be all that great, as it was supposed to be. Google doesn't want to blow it's wad on an updated iPhone 4. It will hold back the goo for the iPhone 5 which will probably be happening around the summer of next year.
    Wow... almost incomprehensible.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    09-20-2011 12:37 PM
    I agree. Why hold back when you can steal customers? Attack when defense is low.....

Now is actually a better time IF no iPhone 5. IF.

Google wont hold back all that much, if anything
    09-20-2011 01:46 PM
    There is always a market for phones with keyboards. One of the advantages that the Android platform has over the iOS platform is that it offer many more options, one of which is a slide-out keyboard. It wouldn't make sense to simply ignore the market for keyboard-endowed phones when people still buy them. To argue that manufacturers/carriers should only offer keyboard-less phones is like trying to argue that manufacturers/carriers should offer only high-end smartphones and ignore the market for mid-tier or low-end smartphones; it's quite silly imo.

Imo, a slider-keyboard on an Android phone screams the word "option." You have the "option" to play an video game emulator using the keyboard rather than obscuring important parts of the screen with your fingers. You have the "option" to use apps that require hard keyboards. You have the "option" to type in landscape mode without having to keep closing the browser to see what field you're in thus confining you to portrait mode when doing an online application or signup page on your phone. You have the "option" to type more accurately when you're tired. Etc...

There are those who have mastered the art of Swyping, and/or are as good at using a virtual kb as a physical one. There are also those who buy into the form factor aspect of the phone. These are of whom I cannot understand. I mean, if I wanted a phone simply for the form factor, I'd pick up an iPhlop lol.

The Droid 3 on Verizon has a hard kb and it has only been out for a couple of weeks, but yet it is backordered virtually everywhere, thus a phone having a hard keyboard has to account for something. And what about economics? The original Droid ushered Android into the mainstream and it has a keyboard.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    09-20-2011 02:39 PM
    Announced in October Released in Novemeber. We've already come to this conclusion based on the poem. January? No way. Unless VZ pull another Thunderbolt. But i doubt it, I'm sure google wants these androids out to compete with the iPhone.
    Why does VZ get blamed for the tunderbolt, and the bionic being late?
    09-20-2011 03:42 PM
    Very very unlikely. The poem was about the Nexus phones.
    Did the phone say anything about the Nexus? The poem was about an ICS phone.
    09-20-2011 03:43 PM
    There is always a market for phones with keyboards. One of the advantages that the Android platform has over the iOS platform is that it offer many more options, one of which is a slide-out keyboard. It wouldn't make sense to simply ignore the market for keyboard-endowed phones when people still buy them. To argue that manufacturers/carriers should only offer keyboard-less phones is like trying to argue that manufacturers/carriers should offer only high-end smartphones and ignore the market for mid-tier or low-end smartphones; it's quite silly imo.

Imo, a slider-keyboard on an Android phone screams the word "option." You have the "option" to play an video game emulator using the keyboard rather than obscuring important parts of the screen with your fingers. You have the "option" to use apps that require hard keyboards. You have the "option" to type in landscape mode without having to keep closing the browser to see what field you're in thus confining you to portrait mode when doing an online application or signup page on your phone. You have the "option" to type more accurately when you're tired. Etc...

There are those who have mastered the art of Swyping, and/or are as good at using a virtual kb as a physical one. There are also those who buy into the form factor aspect of the phone. These are of whom I cannot understand. I mean, if I wanted a phone simply for the form factor, I'd pick up an iPhlop lol.

The Droid 3 on Verizon has a hard kb and it has only been out for a couple of weeks, but yet it is backordered virtually everywhere, thus a phone having a hard keyboard has to account for something. And what about economics? The original Droid ushered Android into the mainstream and it has a keyboard.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk
    No one's arguing there shouldn't be options with keyboards. Clearly, there is a group of people that prefers them, and that's why we see devices like the 3 and the Stratosphere. Manufacturers want to make sure that base is covered.

But I don't think it's a stretch to say that in terms of high end "flagship" devices, physical keyboards aren't really a part of the equation.
    09-20-2011 04:14 PM
    oh of course. i forgot that skins can be developed for a whole new android version in a couple weeks

oh wait.
    Alucardsyco and ManBearPig618 like this.
    09-20-2011 05:29 PM
    Yes, about 10 words before mentioning the keyboard:

"Be it a Droid or Nexus branded new toy, with dual cores “hd” screens, fancy new widgets and more.... The one with the keyboard is what I enjoy”"

Did you read the poem?
    09-20-2011 06:02 PM
    Im gonna say the Droid Prime has a keyboard and the Galaxy Nexus does not. I want the Prime.
    09-20-2011 06:04 PM
    Im gonna say the Droid Prime has a keyboard and the Galaxy Nexus does not. I want the Prime.
    Sure as heck hope your wrong :-)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    th0r615 likes this.
    09-20-2011 07:12 PM
    Yeah I'm with you on that. The rumors are that one of them will be 8.8mm thin, and since the Verizon one is almost certain to have LTE, keyboard or not I can't imagine them fitting an LTE radio in an 8.8mm thin phone. Although now that I think of it, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 with LTE is 8.6mm, so maybe there's extra room due to the larger screen.
    09-20-2011 07:29 PM
    Why cant Verizon get both? lol i think the droid prime will be a VZ exclusive while the galaxy nexus will not.
    09-20-2011 07:59 PM
    Why cant Verizon get both? lol i think the droid prime will be a VZ exclusive while the galaxy nexus will not.
    Interesting idea...

I think exclusivity is LTE. Just to hammer it home that the Nexus on Veriozn will be the only LTE version. ATT is getting LTE but not the approporiate nexus, maybe...
    09-20-2011 08:03 PM
    i think the prime is exclusive because its a droid. Droids are always exclusive. Both will have LTE while other carriers will have their form of 4G on them.
    09-20-2011 08:26 PM
    oh of course. i forgot that skins can be developed for a whole new android version in a couple weeks

oh wait.
    What does that have to do with what I said. I was trying to make the point that we all need to stop drawing our own conclusions and making the whole thing even more muddy and confusing. Yeah I was mistaken about "Nexus" being mentioned and I owned up to that. My overall point though doesn't change

Yes, about 10 words before mentioning the keyboard:

"Be it a Droid or Nexus branded new toy, with dual cores hd screens, fancy new widgets and more.... The one with the keyboard is what I enjoy"

Did you read the poem?
    Yeah I did that's my bad I forgot about that part. I just think some folks are going over board. I just wish folks would stop making up their on theories. Someone says one thing, then a day later it has branched off into 18 different versions of what was actually said.
    09-20-2011 08:59 PM
    I just wish folks would stop making up their on theories. Someone says one thing, then a day later it has branched off into 18 different versions of what was actually said.
    You probably shouldn't be reading a "rumored devices" thread if you don't like rumors and theories.
    09-20-2011 09:01 PM
    You probably shouldn't be reading a "rumored devices" thread if you don't like rumors and theories.
    its a rumor forum, not a theory forum.
    09-20-2011 09:44 PM
    if the people dont want keyboards on their phones why do they make these?

Sliding Bluetooth Keyboard+Hardshell Case for Iphone 4 ~ White or Black Color | eBay
    09-20-2011 11:26 PM
    Because people with i*hones either love their phone to much to get rid of it even though it doesn't have a keyboard, or because they are in contract. Regardless they shouldn't have an i*hone.
    09-20-2011 11:31 PM
    If the VZW version is a Droid, that must mean it's not stock...which I would hate; bloatware galore.

I also think the Droid Prime (if that's what it'll be called) will have a keyboard and the Galaxy Nexus will note. I don't think it will be the Nexus Prime and Droid Prime, both on VZW--that's too confusing marketing-wise. Corp marketing would have an aneurysm.
    09-21-2011 01:04 AM
    Alot of people seemed to be worried about it being stock or not. I just want the most powerful phone. Im just gonna root the damn thing anyways.
    RMT2142 likes this.
    09-21-2011 01:22 AM
    Alot of people seemed to be worried about it being stock or not. I just want the most powerful phone. Im just gonna root the damn thing anyways.
    Okay so set me straight. If it comes out bloated with TouchWiz, that is a UI that is laid over top of the stock UI. Right? So if you download and use ADW EX instead of TouchWiz, you are laying another UI over Stock so you are running 3 UI's at the same time, TouchWiz on top of stock and ADW EX on top of TouchWiz.

If you root the phone then you are wiping TouchWiz and going back to the stock browser.

Sounds like the right way to go to me as well, if I am correct about how it works. I do not understand why HTC and Samsung and Motorola do not allow for their phones to have an option of Stock browser or their own home baked goodness.
    09-21-2011 05:16 AM
    Okay so set me straight. If it comes out bloated with TouchWiz, that is a UI that is laid over top of the stock UI. Right? So if you download and use ADW EX instead of TouchWiz, you are laying another UI over Stock so you are running 3 UI's at the same time, TouchWiz on top of stock and ADW EX on top of TouchWiz.

If you root the phone then you are wiping TouchWiz and going back to the stock browser.

Sounds like the right way to go to me as well, if I am correct about how it works. I do not understand why HTC and Samsung and Motorola do not allow for their phones to have an option of Stock browser or their own home baked goodness.
    You mean launcher, but here's my take on it...

When manufacturers first started laying their own UI's over Android on their phones, it was a selling point. This UI has these widgets, that UI allows resizing of photos on your homescreens, etc., etc..

The hardware on a lot of phones (albeit different manufacturers) was very similar. The different UI's set the phones apart.

Technology in smartphone hardware is advancing more rapidly now, and while the UI's still set each manufacturers phones apart, the REAL distinguishing factor is.... hardware.

The smart consumer bases their purchase based on hardware, and longevity of device. UI's have no place for us, we will most likely remove them anyway.

The general public? They are more likely to base their purchase on the interface. They don't know any better.

So what is my point? I don't know.... I kind of went off on a tangent.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    09-21-2011 06:55 AM
316 ... 89101112 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD