09-30-2011 03:16 AM
316 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Im hoping for 2 options on every carrier, one with and without keyboard.

Verizon obviously Droid branded it, and the others will call it a nexus.
    09-19-2011 11:04 AM
    Its not a keyboard that makes it not a Nexus. It would be Verizons insistence on having their bloatware on it. Also why did you mention your droid in relation to this since your droid is not a Nexus?
    I think he was saying that because next to the original G1, the OG Droid was notable for being pretty much co-developed with Google. They had a say in much of the decisions that were made with it from a software (only the Amazon MP3 store was on there out of the box...probably a decision to fight iOS which had a built in music store) and hardware perspective.

While it's not "really" a Nexus by today's standards, It came pretty damn close in terms of spirit IMO.

As far as using the keyboard goes, I use the one (2nd version so it has bubbly keys instead of being all flat) on my OG Droid pretty much 90% of the time. I just hate the compromises that come with using on screen...I feel slower typing stuff out, the auto correct is still iffy, plus I hate that it takes up my viewable screen real estate, especially in landscape.
    09-19-2011 11:06 AM
    Heathatvoiceagain makes a good point. If Verizon gets the prime and brands it a droid instead of a Nexus, then they can put there bloatware on it. Compared to the Nexus that, like the iPhone, would be untouched.
    rickhamilton620 likes this.
    09-19-2011 11:10 AM
    I have an OG. I had the Bionic for a week, and I didn't miss the keyboard... except for using the game-gripper to play Nesoid.

I don't want a keyboard on my next phone. Too bulky, and I hate how it slides open partially in the pocket. Ocassionally I turn off my screen timeout, and it seems like it's these times that the keyboard slides open a little in my pocket... and I my phone is on 50% battery the next time I pull it out.

If it does have a keyboard, I'll have to play with it in the store first before committing to buying it. I would just rather it didn't have one at all, however. As long as I can use Wiimote to play my emulators.

Sigh.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    09-19-2011 11:12 AM
    I dont care what its called... Droid Prime, Nexus Prime, iPhone Prime, Samsung Galaxy Nexus Prime... name is just a name. All I care is if its a halo device with the latest software and (hopfully) a unlockable bootloader.
    09-19-2011 11:15 AM
    Heathatvoiceagain makes a good point. If Verizon gets the prime and brands it a droid instead of a Nexus, then they can put there bloatware on it. Compared to the Nexus that, like the iPhone, would be untouched.
    True and I hope it's not much given this phone's somewhat special status. Verizon technically "got" the Nexus One w/ the Incredible and it came lousy with bloatware. Kinda wish that they would have kept that limited to no bloatware philosophy that Google forced them to have with the OG Droid.

At least make some of it uninstallable (I think they let you remove Let's Golf 2 now...but why not the rest?)
    09-19-2011 11:17 AM
    I really hope there is a keyboard n this thing.
    09-19-2011 11:22 AM
    I hope Verizon doesn't do this crap. No bulky ugly keyboard.
    MetalPhoenix79 and EggoEspada like this.
    09-19-2011 11:24 AM
    Let the VZW users have the keyboard version, I'll take a GSM radio'ed version, compatible with UMTS 850mhz 3G, thanks.

09-19-2011 11:29 AM
    Ugh, first thing I did this morning was read the new twitter update. I just about crapped my pants full of disappointment. I seriously hope this phone does not have a physical keyboard. Buying this phone with a physical keyboard would be like marrying a super model with incredibly screwed up teeth. I want something slick, not old-school like. If this thing turns out to be 4.65 inches like some rumors say it is, then I just couldn't imagine a physical slide out keyboard on it. It for sure would take away from the flagship status of this phone. Aren't we suppose to be moving forward with technology? To me, adding a keyboard to such a device is a step backwards. Im still on the OG, been on it since its release. In all the years I've had it, I think I've used the keyboard maybe twice.

I hope there is no keyboard. I've waited this long to upgrade and if this thing comes with keys then maybe I can wait just a bit more.
    nemov and EggoEspada like this.
    09-19-2011 11:35 AM
    A point that might be worth noting. If verizon do release a droided and crapware stuffed version of the prime while everyone else goes with pure nexus you will see loads of pure custom roms for the verizon version very quickly.
    09-19-2011 11:39 AM
    Physical pull out keyboard is old and dated design. No true smartphone uses them. And none of the Nexus phones had them.

If the Verizon version does have a pullout keyboard, then we know for sure it will just be a true next gen successor to the ogDroid, and NOT a new Nexus.

Now we need news on the Nexus-Three, have not heard a peep about that device.
    09-19-2011 11:41 AM
    Touchscreen keyboards are still very hit or miss, with physical keyboard, which tons of people still like, you get a working method without any issues. Ill take it.
    09-19-2011 11:42 AM
    Touchscreen keyboards are still very hit or miss, with physical keyboard, which tons of people still like, you get a working method without any issues. Ill take it.
    More moving parts (sliding mechanism and keys) means more likely to have something break.
    ManBearPig618 likes this.
    09-19-2011 11:47 AM
    i hope by GSM he means t-mobile support
    09-19-2011 11:51 AM
    Physical pull out keyboard is old and dated design. No true smartphone uses them. And none of the Nexus phones had them.

If the Verizon version does have a pullout keyboard, then we know for sure it will just be a true next gen successor to the ogDroid, and NOT a new Nexus.

No true smartphones use them? Did you forget that the smartphone started with a keyboard??? And why can't a Nexus have a keyboard? Sorry I missed the rule where Google said that their Nexus devices cannot have a keyboard.

No not true. If Verizon gets a Nexus and brands it a Droid then they can market the hell out of it. Lets face it folks Droids sell better than Nexuses. Because it's branded a Droid for marketing which is very smart does NOT mean it can't be a Nexus!

I don't know if I believe this poem now that he has finished. Before I was but I thought the entire purpose of ICS was to move towards a button less phone... even though a keyboard doesn't count as buttons, one would guess there will be some shortcuts on the keyboard for use on the phone... just doesn't add up to me..
    Yeah sorry but you made no sense there. The "Speculation" is that ICS will not have buttons on the screen. What does that have to do with a keyboard? Your logic is very flawed. People have you forgotten what Android is all about? Since when has Android only been a concept that stays within the "box" like the iphone? People look at all the variations in Android!!! That's what Android is all about! Now their are two model numbers to the phone. Everyone ASSumed that one was GSM and one was for Verizon. What if their are actually two version of the phone to be launched with and without a keyboard? Of course that is speculation also but think about this. Why would their only be a version with a keyboard on Verizon? The keyboard smartphone to me has very much become a niche product, not everyone wants a keyboard, and not everyone wants a phone without one. Think about how amazing Google and the Nexus line would be if the actually catered to EVERYONE!! Folks isn't that what Android is about? Everyone needs to chill.
    09-19-2011 11:56 AM
    We haven't heard a peep? You're hilarious.

What if their are actually two version of the phone to be launched with and without a keyboard? Of course that is speculation also but think about this. Why would their only be a version with a keyboard on Verizon? The keyboard smartphone to me has very much become a niche product, not everyone wants a keyboard, and not everyone wants a phone without one. Think about how amazing Google and the Nexus line would be if the actually catered to EVERYONE!! Folks isn't that what Android is about? Everyone needs to chill.
    This is all well and good if Verizon offers both, but I'm a Verizon customer and I'm not used to choice. There are certainly many people who wouldn't mind a keyboard, but I think it's obvious that most people don't want it. That's not a slight against those with different tastes. It's just the way the market is at the moment.
    09-19-2011 12:20 PM
    Keyboard or not it wouldn't be a successor. It is a samsung not a motorola, ergo not by a long shot a successor to og. I'm against a key board due to excessive weight and likely bulk fwiw.
    09-19-2011 12:26 PM
    It makes sense to me that VZW version won't have a keyboard (stratosphere) and the gsm model will (ATT already has galaxys2) without. Samsung makes all 3. Does the fcc docs specify what the school515 and the gt have?
    09-19-2011 12:36 PM
    It makes sense to me that VZW version won't have a keyboard (stratosphere) and the gsm model will (ATT already has galaxys2) without. Samsung makes all 3. Does the fcc docs specify what the school515 and the gt have?
    The SCH-i515 and GT-i9250 haven't passed through the FCC.

Here's where we stand so far...

- November 3 release date
    - It is a Nexus device, but might be Droid on Verizon
    - Exclusive to Verizon, but then the rest of the carriers will have it.
    - A keyboard version exists.

This is the first we've heard about keyboard version.
    09-19-2011 12:43 PM
    I kind of find the idea of this phone being a replacement for the OG a little hard to swallow. Verizon already has the Droid 3. And like someone mentioned, the phone is being made by Samsung, not Motorola. This should be an entirely new phone that has no ties to the OG.
    09-19-2011 12:44 PM
    I do not consider Blackberry a pull out keyboard. The keys are still on the main face of the phone just like iPhone except they are hard physical keys.

Point being you can still text one handed with thumb. A pull keyboard completely changes a good smartphone into a two hander. Making it more cumbersome and not as fast and easy to pull out to do easy tasks.

Plus they make phone thicker. I prefer razor thin
    09-19-2011 12:45 PM
    I do not consider Blackberry a pull out keyboard. The keys are still on the main face of the phone just like iPhone except they are hard physical keys.

Point being you can still text one handed with thumb. A pull keyboard completely changes a good smartphone into a two hander. Making it more cumbersome and not as fast and easy to pull out to do easy tasks.

Plus they make phone thicker. I prefer razor thin
    I'm glad you have your preferences. I have enjoyed my slide out keyboard fully. While I would rather it not have a keyboard, it's not a deal breaker for me.
    09-19-2011 01:03 PM
    There are certainly preferences both ways regarding having a keyboard. I think it's fair to say that either way (having, or note having a keyboard) may drive some folks away form the device, but here is how I see it:
    • On a large device like this HAVING a keyboard may actually drive a substantial amount of people from this device, in part due to its inevitable increased bulk. This isn't the only reason that a keyboard may drive some away however.
    • NOT HAVING a keyboard will drive far fewer folks away. Some may only want a keyboard, but most people will not be driven away from the device because it doesn't have one.

IMO if VZW has only 1 of these (and I absolutely think VZW will sell only 1), they will make more money and sell more if it does NOT have a keyboard.
    nemov and scotty_pimmpen like this.
    09-19-2011 01:16 PM
    I don't see why Verizon would release a keyboard version. There already is the droid 3 and the soon to be released Samsung.....

I wish Tom would just straight up tell us if the Verizon version has a keyboard or not.
    09-19-2011 01:25 PM
316 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD