Panda Poem through Tom @tfleming223

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
A point that might be worth noting. If verizon do release a droided and crapware stuffed version of the prime while everyone else goes with pure nexus you will see loads of pure custom roms for the verizon version very quickly.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Physical pull out keyboard is old and dated design. No true smartphone uses them. And none of the Nexus phones had them.

If the Verizon version does have a pullout keyboard, then we know for sure it will just be a true next gen successor to the ogDroid, and NOT a new Nexus.

Now we need news on the Nexus-Three, have not heard a peep about that device.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Touchscreen keyboards are still very hit or miss, with physical keyboard, which tons of people still like, you get a working method without any issues. Ill take it.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Physical pull out keyboard is old and dated design. No true smartphone uses them. And none of the Nexus phones had them.

If the Verizon version does have a pullout keyboard, then we know for sure it will just be a true next gen successor to the ogDroid, and NOT a new Nexus.

No true smartphones use them? Did you forget that the smartphone started with a keyboard??? And why can't a Nexus have a keyboard? Sorry I missed the rule where Google said that their Nexus devices cannot have a keyboard.

Heathatvoiceagain makes a good point. If Verizon gets the prime and brands it a droid instead of a Nexus, then they can put there bloatware on it. Compared to the Nexus that, like the iPhone, would be untouched.

No not true. If Verizon gets a Nexus and brands it a Droid then they can market the hell out of it. Lets face it folks Droids sell better than Nexuses. Because it's branded a Droid for marketing which is very smart does NOT mean it can't be a Nexus!

I don't know if I believe this poem now that he has finished. Before I was but I thought the entire purpose of ICS was to move towards a button less phone... even though a keyboard doesn't count as buttons, one would guess there will be some shortcuts on the keyboard for use on the phone... just doesn't add up to me..

Yeah sorry but you made no sense there. The "Speculation" is that ICS will not have buttons on the screen. What does that have to do with a keyboard? Your logic is very flawed. People have you forgotten what Android is all about? Since when has Android only been a concept that stays within the "box" like the iphone? People look at all the variations in Android!!! That's what Android is all about! Now their are two model numbers to the phone. Everyone ASSumed that one was GSM and one was for Verizon. What if their are actually two version of the phone to be launched with and without a keyboard? Of course that is speculation also but think about this. Why would their only be a version with a keyboard on Verizon? The keyboard smartphone to me has very much become a niche product, not everyone wants a keyboard, and not everyone wants a phone without one. Think about how amazing Google and the Nexus line would be if the actually catered to EVERYONE!! Folks isn't that what Android is about? Everyone needs to chill.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

We haven't heard a peep? You're hilarious.

What if their are actually two version of the phone to be launched with and without a keyboard? Of course that is speculation also but think about this. Why would their only be a version with a keyboard on Verizon? The keyboard smartphone to me has very much become a niche product, not everyone wants a keyboard, and not everyone wants a phone without one. Think about how amazing Google and the Nexus line would be if the actually catered to EVERYONE!! Folks isn't that what Android is about? Everyone needs to chill.

This is all well and good if Verizon offers both, but I'm a Verizon customer and I'm not used to choice. There are certainly many people who wouldn't mind a keyboard, but I think it's obvious that most people don't want it. That's not a slight against those with different tastes. It's just the way the market is at the moment.

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Keyboard or not it wouldn't be a successor. It is a samsung not a motorola, ergo not by a long shot a successor to og. I'm against a key board due to excessive weight and likely bulk fwiw.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
It makes sense to me that VZW version won't have a keyboard (stratosphere) and the gsm model will (ATT already has galaxys2) without. Samsung makes all 3. Does the fcc docs specify what the school515 and the gt have?

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
It makes sense to me that VZW version won't have a keyboard (stratosphere) and the gsm model will (ATT already has galaxys2) without. Samsung makes all 3. Does the fcc docs specify what the school515 and the gt have?

The SCH-i515 and GT-i9250 haven't passed through the FCC.

Here's where we stand so far...

- November 3 release date
- It is a Nexus device, but might be Droid on Verizon
- Exclusive to Verizon, but then the rest of the carriers will have it.
- A keyboard version exists.

This is the first we've heard about keyboard version.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I kind of find the idea of this phone being a replacement for the OG a little hard to swallow. Verizon already has the Droid 3. And like someone mentioned, the phone is being made by Samsung, not Motorola. This should be an entirely new phone that has no ties to the OG.

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I do not consider Blackberry a pull out keyboard. The keys are still on the main face of the phone just like iPhone except they are hard physical keys.

Point being you can still text one handed with thumb. A pull keyboard completely changes a good smartphone into a two hander. Making it more cumbersome and not as fast and easy to pull out to do easy tasks.

Plus they make phone thicker. I prefer razor thin

scotty_pimmpen

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I do not consider Blackberry a pull out keyboard. The keys are still on the main face of the phone just like iPhone except they are hard physical keys.

Point being you can still text one handed with thumb. A pull keyboard completely changes a good smartphone into a two hander. Making it more cumbersome and not as fast and easy to pull out to do easy tasks.

Plus they make phone thicker. I prefer razor thin

I'm glad you have your preferences. I have enjoyed my slide out keyboard fully. While I would rather it not have a keyboard, it's not a deal breaker for me.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
There are certainly preferences both ways regarding having a keyboard. I think it's fair to say that either way (having, or note having a keyboard) may drive some folks away form the device, but here is how I see it:
  • On a large device like this HAVING a keyboard may actually drive a substantial amount of people from this device, in part due to its inevitable increased bulk. This isn't the only reason that a keyboard may drive some away however.
  • NOT HAVING a keyboard will drive far fewer folks away. Some may only want a keyboard, but most people will not be driven away from the device because it doesn't have one.

IMO if VZW has only 1 of these (and I absolutely think VZW will sell only 1), they will make more money and sell more if it does NOT have a keyboard.

turb0wned

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why Verizon would release a keyboard version. There already is the droid 3 and the soon to be released Samsung.....

I wish Tom would just straight up tell us if the Verizon version has a keyboard or not.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
NOT HAVING a keyboard will drive far fewer folks away. Some may only want a keyboard, but most people will not be driven away from the device because it doesn't have one.

IMO if VZW has only 1 of these (and I absolutely think VZW will sell only 1), they will make more money and sell more if it does NOT have a keyboard.

I agree with this 100%. Not that I care, since I am in the UK so wont be getting the VZW version anyway.

Incidentally given the alleged size of this thing I would think the screen keyboards keys will be pretty well spaced. I remember when I replaced my G1 with the Desire I was so worried that I wouldn't be able to get on with a screen keyboard, but now it's second nature.

Drosul

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My $0.02 for whatever it's worth...

I vastly preferred typing on my physical keyboard on my D1, and a physical keyboard is VASTLY preferable for phone gaming, than partially obstructing your view by having a GUI for in game controls.

That said, keyboards add a on alot of width, and the layout/design of a physical keyboard is a very personal preference in itself. Truth be told, Motorola is the only company I've seen successfully pull of a physical keyboard in the smartphone era.

Personally, a keyboard is a welcome addition, as I find myself often thinking that smartphones are TOO thin (like the Bionic, felt way to thin in my hands, and immediately decided the phone needed the extra heft of an extended battery).... But at the same time, a 4.65 screen could very well need an extended battery just to survive more than an hours worth of screen time....... and the prospect of a screen+physical keyboard+extended battery... might actually start looking like an ice cream sandwich.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Hate the idea of a keyboard, and the more I think about it, it can't be the ONLY option for any one carrier (VZW is all I care about). How many FLAGSHIP devices have come out in the past year with slide out keyboards? Anyone? If I had to guess, I would have to say it is close to zero. This is clearly going to be a high-end, flagship device, and as that it warrants the newest technology and cleanest features. No way it comes out keyboard equipped. Just my two cents.

ienjoysoup08

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
the keyboard won't be on a nexus device. a nexus device is a developer phone. if they are making apps for phones with keyboards then what about the phones that don't have keyboards(the majority of phones). I say there will be a nexus device for all carriers and a droid device with a keyboard for Verizon also

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
the keyboard won't be on a nexus device. a nexus device is a developer phone. if they are making apps for phones with keyboards then what about the phones that don't have keyboards(the majority of phones). I say there will be a nexus device for all carriers and a droid device with a keyboard for Verizon also

I think your logic would actually work the other way. I wouldn't see any necessary changes from a developer standpoint to develop for a phone without a keyboard, but would if it does. So, from a developer's standpoint, it would seem better to have a developer phone that does have a keyboard.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx