Panda Poem through Tom @tfleming223

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
i think the prime is exclusive because its a droid. Droids are always exclusive. Both will have LTE while other carriers will have their form of 4G on them.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
oh of course. i forgot that skins can be developed for a whole new android version in a couple weeks

oh wait.

What does that have to do with what I said. I was trying to make the point that we all need to stop drawing our own conclusions and making the whole thing even more muddy and confusing. Yeah I was mistaken about "Nexus" being mentioned and I owned up to that. My overall point though doesn't change

Yes, about 10 words before mentioning the keyboard:

"Be it a Droid or Nexus branded new toy, with dual cores ?hd? screens, fancy new widgets and more.... The one with the keyboard is what I enjoy?"

Did you read the poem?

Yeah I did that's my bad I forgot about that part. I just think some folks are going over board. I just wish folks would stop making up their on theories. Someone says one thing, then a day later it has branched off into 18 different versions of what was actually said.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I just wish folks would stop making up their on theories. Someone says one thing, then a day later it has branched off into 18 different versions of what was actually said.

You probably shouldn't be reading a "rumored devices" thread if you don't like rumors and theories.

Alucardsyco

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Because people with i*hones either love their phone to much to get rid of it even though it doesn't have a keyboard, or because they are in contract. Regardless they shouldn't have an i*hone.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If the VZW version is a Droid, that must mean it's not stock...which I would hate; bloatware galore.

I also think the Droid Prime (if that's what it'll be called) will have a keyboard and the Galaxy Nexus will note. I don't think it will be the Nexus Prime and Droid Prime, both on VZW--that's too confusing marketing-wise. Corp marketing would have an aneurysm.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Alot of people seemed to be worried about it being stock or not. I just want the most powerful phone. Im just gonna root the damn thing anyways.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Alot of people seemed to be worried about it being stock or not. I just want the most powerful phone. Im just gonna root the damn thing anyways.

Okay so set me straight. If it comes out bloated with TouchWiz, that is a UI that is laid over top of the stock UI. Right? So if you download and use ADW EX instead of TouchWiz, you are laying another UI over Stock so you are running 3 UI's at the same time, TouchWiz on top of stock and ADW EX on top of TouchWiz.

If you root the phone then you are wiping TouchWiz and going back to the stock browser.

Sounds like the right way to go to me as well, if I am correct about how it works. I do not understand why HTC and Samsung and Motorola do not allow for their phones to have an option of Stock browser or their own home baked goodness.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay so set me straight. If it comes out bloated with TouchWiz, that is a UI that is laid over top of the stock UI. Right? So if you download and use ADW EX instead of TouchWiz, you are laying another UI over Stock so you are running 3 UI's at the same time, TouchWiz on top of stock and ADW EX on top of TouchWiz.

If you root the phone then you are wiping TouchWiz and going back to the stock browser.

Sounds like the right way to go to me as well, if I am correct about how it works. I do not understand why HTC and Samsung and Motorola do not allow for their phones to have an option of Stock browser or their own home baked goodness.

You mean launcher, but here's my take on it...

When manufacturers first started laying their own UI's over Android on their phones, it was a selling point. This UI has these widgets, that UI allows resizing of photos on your homescreens, etc., etc..

The hardware on a lot of phones (albeit different manufacturers) was very similar. The different UI's set the phones apart.

Technology in smartphone hardware is advancing more rapidly now, and while the UI's still set each manufacturers phones apart, the REAL distinguishing factor is.... hardware.

The smart consumer bases their purchase based on hardware, and longevity of device. UI's have no place for us, we will most likely remove them anyway.

The general public? They are more likely to base their purchase on the interface. They don't know any better.

So what is my point? I don't know.... I kind of went off on a tangent.

*customized tapatalk signature*

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Technology in smartphone hardware is advancing more rapidly now, and while the UI's still set each manufacturers phones apart, the REAL distinguishing factor is.... hardware. ...

The smart consumer bases their purchase based on hardware, and longevity of device. UI's have no place for us, we will most likely remove them anyway.

Not for me. I think you made 2 opposite points in a way as well. Your name"oxymoron" might apply ! I am kidding of course, you have good points.

However, I read that you said (1) The hardware is very very good on many new phones now (which I happen to agree completely with). and (2)You also say the UIs don't matter then (not sure why).

Most people ("smart" or not) do not root their phones and flash ROMs. Many on these forums do of course, but many many "smart" buyers still do not. Like me, they may not want or need the fuss of having to flash ROMs, they want a good user experience out of the box.

I think the UI is very very important, and at this point a good deal more important than many hardware aspects, given that so many new phones all ship with great specs now ..

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning more and more towards believing Verizon's device will be pure stock ICS. Kellex from Droid-life has acknowledged knowing for a fact that this device is out in the wild with ICS and heard nothing about a skin being on top of it (as always take with a grain of salt!).

I'm also inclined to believe reports of TouchWiz possibly being on early versions of the device as a temporary placeholder till Google was ready to release a workable build of ICS to OEMs. It makes sense to me. Aren't these phones in the planning and development stages of the hardware way ahead of Android releases?

I also agree with the notion that if Verizon is going to be exclusive to the first ICS device for a time then it would be pertinent to have it stay a stock experience. The Droid moniker is irrelevant to it having a custom UI overlay like TouchWiz. Exclusivity is in of itself a differentiating factor if that were Samsung's or Verizon's concern. It could most definitely still have bloatware on it, however.

Now that's not to say Samsung won't push out a later update with TouchWiz just like the Galaxy Tab 10.1 Nor does it mean Google hasn't already given some of the OEMs, like Samsung, ICS in parallel to them developing a custom UI for it. It's already a known fact that Google likes to work closely with certain OEMs.

Last edited:

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not for me. I think you made 2 opposite points in a way as well. Your name"oxymoron" might apply ! I am kidding of course, you have good points.

However, I read that you said (1) The hardware is very very good on many new phones now (which I happen to agree completely with). and (2)You also say the UIs don't matter then (not sure why).

Most people ("smart" or not) do not root their phones and flash ROMs. Many on these forums do of course, but many many "smart" buyers still do not. Like me, they may not want or need the fuss of having to flash ROMs, they want a good user experience out of the box.

I think the UI is very very important, and at this point a good deal more important than many hardware aspects, given that so many new phones all ship with great specs now ..

I agree. When I look at phones, I look at how well the hardware and software work together. Software was a major factor in my decision to consider Samsung devices because *shocker* I actually like TouchWiz and the enhancement's that are made. I'm rooted and on a custom ROM now so I wouldn't equate a desire for manufacturer enhancements with "newbieness." :p

Everyone's different though, so to a lot of people, a stock "just the basics-I'll customise by DL my favorite apps" experience is mighty appealing as well. If you swear by stock, then obviously software is playing a major role in your buying decision.

I also agree with the other poster: its always smart to buy the highest end phone one can afford comfortably-more futureproof that way.

Reactions: oxymoron

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I agree "smart" was not the best term to use. What I meant was, well informed, tech savvy, and has a hunkerin' for some tinkerin'. I think "most" people on tech forums modify their devices in some way for performance.

I think that to those people, the manufacturers UI is "less" important than hardware. I certainly have preferences for certain UI's over others, but it doesn't affect my decision to purchase or not to purchase. For me (and I think for most "techies"), the hardware is what sells the device. I try to ignore slick marketing, and get down to performance, or "ability" to perform outstanding after being tweaked. Even how "tweakable" a device is. Let's face it..... myself and most of the other users here are geeks! :-D

The reason I said that the UI's don't matter to us, is simply because most of us here will not use it. We will use an alternative launcher/home replacement, and may also completely remove the manufacturers UI if possible.

I know not everyone is into flashing ROM's and kernels. That's obvious by what percentage of the consumer base the development community makes up. But, that percentage is much higher on forums such as these. "We", is to whom I'm referring.

You are correct, oxymoron I am. My name is based on the fact that people tell me, "For an intelligent guy, you sure do make some stupid decisions."

Example.... I run the automation department at work. Do all the electrical design/programming of new equipment. I also knocked out one of my front teeth, and broke the other in half while riding a bicycle..... riding down a steep grade at approximately 30mph the front wheel began to wobble. I thought "That seems loose", at which point I lifted up on the handlebars. Yes, you know what happened.... the front wheel dropped out of the forks, and I used my face as an emergency brake on the asphalt.

Sorry.... WAY off topic now.

My next reply will be back on topic, promise ;-)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree "smart" was not the best term to use. What I meant was, well informed, tech savvy, and has a hunkerin' for some tinkerin'. I think "most" people on tech forums modify their devices in some way for performance.

I think that to those people, the manufacturers UI is "less" important than hardware. I certainly have preferences for certain UI's over others, but it doesn't affect my decision to purchase or not to purchase. For me (and I think for most "techies"), the hardware is what sells the device. I try to ignore slick marketing, and get down to performance, or "ability" to perform outstanding after being tweaked. Even how "tweakable" a device is. Let's face it..... myself and most of the other users here are geeks! :-D

The reason I said that the UI's don't matter to us, is simply because most of us here will not use it. We will use an alternative launcher/home replacement, and may also completely remove the manufacturers UI if possible.

I know not everyone is into flashing ROM's and kernels. That's obvious by what percentage of the consumer base the development community makes up. But, that percentage is much higher on forums such as these. "We", is to whom I'm referring.

You are correct, oxymoron I am. My name is based on the fact that people tell me, "For an intelligent guy, you sure do make some stupid decisions."

Example.... I run the automation department at work. Do all the electrical design/programming of new equipment. I also knocked out one of my front teeth, and broke the other in half while riding a bicycle..... riding down a steep grade at approximately 30mph the front wheel began to wobble. I thought "That seems loose", at which point I lifted up on the handlebars. Yes, you know what happened.... the front wheel dropped out of the forks, and I used my face as an emergency brake on the asphalt.

Sorry.... WAY off topic now.

My next reply will be back on topic, promise ;-)

Thanks for the anecdote, that was funny. I see your point. If you are referring to people in these forums then much of what you originally mentioned does seem to apply.

That said, I consider myself tech savvy as well, and I have zero desire to flash ROMs. I actually happen to like Touch Wiz enhancements too,just as another recent poster does.

I guess my overall point is that, over time, I think the UI is what really leads to my satisfaction of a device. I do however appreciate the "'tweaking" ability of Android very much so if I don't like a UI , I at least have options.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I guess the point I was trying to make was that t a phone with a launcher over top of a stock browser seems like that would have to hamper the system in some way even if it is very minor. Like wearing two rain coats if its raining outside. Then adding a 3rd rain coat would be downloading and using a launcher from the market.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the anecdote, that was funny. I see your point. If you are referring to people in these forums then much of what you originally mentioned does seem to apply.

That said, I consider myself tech savvy as well, and I have zero desire to flash ROMs. I actually happen to like Touch Wiz enhancements too,just as another recent poster does.

I guess my overall point is that, over time, I think the UI is what really leads to my satisfaction of a device. I do however appreciate the "'tweaking" ability of Android very much so if I don't like a UI , I at least have options.

Oh I completely agree, "the" UI is definitely very important indeed. It is how we navigate, what we look at, and interact with most often. I almost always end up using a home replacement for that very reason. ADW EX is my launcher of choice. I like the customization options, animations, choices of themes/icon packs, etc..

I always try out the manufacturers stock UI for a while. I like a lot of the widgets that manufacturers come up with. The contacts widget on Moto's newest "non-blur" is pretty awesome for example.

At this point, it just boils down to taste. And there's no debating that, we all have different ones. I hate mushrooms, some people love them. To his/her own, eh?

I think we pretty much agree (I believe so anyway) on the main points, but differ in our tastes. Nothing wrong with that! An element of diversity :)

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I guess the point I was trying to make was that t a phone with a launcher over top of a stock browser seems like that would have to hamper the system in some way even if it is very minor. Like wearing two rain coats if its raining outside. Then adding a 3rd rain coat would be downloading and using a launcher from the market.

Yep, I agree. That's why I flash ROM's :)