Is the Nexus Prime suppose to be better than the Bionic?

BlackBarryNewb

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance. I'm a phone noob with a Droid 1 and been wanting to upgrade my phone. The Bionic looks impressive but I'm willing to wait for a better device. Your thoughts?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I would wait until there is more info on the specs. Right now everything about the Prime is guesswork and rumor.

The bionic has nice specs, but the screen is horrible. If that matters to you, go into Verizon and put the screen of the Charge up against the Bionic and see how bad the Bionic is.

If you go by the specs rumored, the Prime will have either comparable or better specs.

Last edited:

mloebl

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Whenever I see posts like this, I'm tempted to tell people "buy now" just so I have less competition for when the Nexus comes out... ;) Joking aside, I also have the original Droid, and my coworker got a Bionic last week that I was playing with. If you are absolutely dying for a new phone... then it's a fast phone, display didn't seem too bad (mind you comparing to the original Droid), and of course has LTE. Personally I'm going to keep my original Droid safe for a few more weeks and see what happens with the all the Nexus rumors. As much as I badly want a faster phone with LTE, the OG Droid, though often sluggish with bloat needing a reset... works fine right now to get me a few more weeks.

-Mike

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Excuse my ignorance. I'm a phone noob with a Droid 1 and been wanting to upgrade my phone. The Bionic looks impressive but I'm willing to wait for a better device. Your thoughts?

surely you jest :) The samsung droid galaxy nexus prime will be levels above the bionic, not just perfermance, overall. fit, finish, DISPLAY, OS, OS updates, etc

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
The only thing i hesitate to agree with you on is performance. The bionic is dual core. If the prime is then i agree with you all the way. If not, then maybe the bionic will have a slight edge in that one category. But it will be very slight and the scree alone will more than make up for the very small gain

Charged up post!

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I doubt the nexus wont be dual core. Im almost willing to guarantee it will have dual core.

The big thing to me is while it will have a better screen than the bionic, it will also be better on battery life. Plus that coupled with ice cream sandwich should give us awesome battery life.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The main selling points of the Nexus over any currently available Android phone.

1. It will have the latest version of Android (though we don't know at present how much better ICS is then Gingerbread, but it's not going to be worse)
2.It will be stock Android without bloatware or proprietary launchers.(Though some people like then)
3. It will receive software updates faster then non-nexus phones.
4. If will (most likely) receive more support from Rom Chefs and hackers (if you are into that sort of thing)
5. It will (possibly) be NFC equipped. This may mean nothing to you now, but if you have the phone on a 2 year contract will certainly become more important.

As you can see I've had to add qualifiers to most of my comments, this is simply because we don't know anything much about it. In fact there is still AFAIK no actual confirmation this phone exists.

Reactions: Piquedram

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The only thing i hesitate to agree with you on is performance. The bionic is dual core. If the prime is then i agree with you all the way. If not, then maybe the bionic will have a slight edge in that one category. But it will be very slight and the scree alone will more than make up for the very small gain

Charged up post!

there's almost 0 chance that the prime won't have dual core, it was first rumored to have Kal El - first mobile quad core, but now it's most likely going to be TI OMAP4460, which is *only* a fast dual core, in fact if you're taking account into benchmark, OMAP4430 which is supposed to be slower than 4460 has blown Tegra 2 (Bionic) out of the water, so you can only imagine how much better 4460 is going to be. :p

Last edited:

ppeklak

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
there's almost 0 chance that the prime won't have dual core, it was first rumored to have Kal El - first mobile quad core, but now it's most likely going to be TI OMAP4460, which is *only* a fast dual core, in fact if you're taking account into benchmark, OMAP4430 which is supposed to be slower than 4460 has blown Tegra 2 (Bionic) out of the water, so you can only imagine how much better 4460 is going to be. :p

bionic has a 4430 not a tegra 2

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
bionic has a 4430 not a tegra 2

hmm, ok, did a quick search before some says tegra 2 some says 4430, turns out 4430 is the one in Bionic, I stand corrected, thanks for the heads up. Needless to say, I'm not very into Bionic anyway.
But my point still stands, Prime's spec will be better ultimately.

borgey420

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yeah he's correct the Bionic does not run the Tegra 2 chipset. I am pretty sure it did at first but Verizon told Motorola to go back to the drawing boards to make a better device and they switched to OMAP.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Well, not just from a benchmarking standpoint, also consider the development side. The Nexus line is still for developers, and right now, there are no dual-core Nexus phones. And one of the advancements that ICS is supposed to provide is enhanced support for multiple core devices. So, purely from a developer's standpoint, the Nexus will have to be a dual-core phone.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

delco714

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's an interesting question/statement thing... They are saying 1 gb ram, better be ddr2. That or bust. Bionic has it. Good chance the bionic has a samsung ram module even

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Here's an interesting question/statement thing... They are saying 1 gb ram, better be ddr2. That or bust. Bionic has it. Good chance the bionic has a samsung ram module even

The RAM is part of the TI OMAP SoC.. I think its made by Elpida, fwiw.. and OMAP4 only has a LPDDR2 controller, so there you go... Nexus is supposed to be based on OMAP4

Reactions: delco714

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
It will be sexier hardware for sure and running stock android. I don't think the battery life can be known at this point, that's just wishful thinking that it will be better.

A lot of phone buying comes down to personal preference. I don't have an interest in a 4.6" screen on a phone, I was hesitant about the bionic due to size too. That said, you need to go and fondle the phones to really know if you will be happy with them. Reviews and spec sheets can only tell you so much about how much you will like it.

BringItSon

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site

sorry, but bionic dont have Tegra 2 which kinda makes me question if your whole claim is even true...