Is the Nexus Prime suppose to be better than the Bionic?

rockstar323

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure why people are so in love with Samsung.

We have around 50 Android phones at work through Verizon and the ones we've had the most issues with are the Samsung's. We had 3 guys with Fascinates, one had to switch phones 3 times the other 2 switched them twice. When the Charge came out Verizon upgraded the Fascinates to Charges at no cost. Well now we have around 10 Charge's. All but 3 have been switched out because of issues at least once. Verizon is switching all the Charge's out for Bionic's for free.

Before anyone says that we are picky and returning them because of little stuff you need to know that pretty much everyone that carriers an Android phone at work came from another Android phone. If you combine all the non-Samsung Android phones we've had/have, OG Droids, DINCs, DXs, D2s, Thunderbolts, Incredible 2s, Bionics, and Commandos it totals close to 150. Out of that 150 maybe 10 of those were switched out for issues.

What good is bleeding edge technology in a phone if you can't use it as a phone? If I want a high end phone that has trouble making and receiving calls I'll buy an iPhone from at&t.

loooney2ns

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Everything is a tradeoff. The PenTile screen is designed to use less power. The increase in battery life is the benefit. It's also the best screen in sunlight. I have an upgrade as of today. I'm really considering the Bionic, especially since Amazon is selling it for $150.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Maybe because VZW loves quality?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

~Call quality (good)
~Best battery in the android world of 4g (tested epic touch and bionic, bionic wins)
~Speaker sound (could never here notifications on my Sammy's sg1 and 2)
~Updates, ICS built around omap, and Google owns Moto in a year! Moto take CARE of us.
~Enterprise, the Bionic has every security feature needed in the mobile world.
~Versatile, while webtop is okay, it offers us options in presenting media and presentations. For an extrat 30 bucks, turning your dlp 1080HD 65 inch Sammy (I have two Sammy tv's, love em:) into a Computer.
~reliability, when I head out for trips, I know I can count on being connected. Other networks and devices have let me down. Motorola redesigned the Bionic to give us a good LTE experience and a good radio. Props, and thank god there are no Tegra chips in here.
~Build quality. Other high end phones sometimes fall short, and are priced cheaply (you do get what you pay for) the Latest Motor has top notch build quality, and the display is my favorite current android offering. You can actually read in in direct sun. Try that on a Sammy.
~DDR2 Ram. That is first class
~Do you tether? Hook a peripheral on a sub-par 4g network and see how much time you spend trying to get work done?
~Travel, again, coverage and Moto reliability. And data security. Hey BB guys, this is the one to get!
~Push services, moto gives you a ton
~Camera, while not the best, I applaud Motorola for giving us great hardware, because there is several software options in the market that fix that.
~1080 video. Nuff said, the rest can't do that.
~Can hear and use my device at soccer games! Speaking of which I must get going.
~I love my phone.

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Can we please stop making the inference that the Fascinate didn't get updates so therefore Google's next flagship phone won't be supported. That is comparing apples to oranges. The Fascinate was supported by Verizon or Samsung but to say that the Nexus won't get updates from Google is simply insane. Please quit spamming this idea in this forum.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Everything is a tradeoff. The PenTile screen is designed to use less power. The increase in battery life is the benefit. It's also the best screen in sunlight. I have an upgrade as of today. I'm really considering the Bionic, especially since Amazon is selling it for $150.
That is for new contracts only on tiered LTE. If you have unlimited data, or are already with Verizon it is 216.00 plus tax. Still a helluva deal!

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that when you press the screen on the Bionic a bit hard it appears that the glass touches the screen? I haven't been able to reproduce the same effect on any other android phone I've held.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Also, since you have said that the poster you quoted and I are biased because we own bionics... perhaps you are biased because you returned your's to wait for the prime.

I actually am still using it and will be giving it to my wife when the Prime comes out. It's a nice device, but I some of its shortcomings made it a phone I didn't want to use for a long term period. I'm not going to get into an online argument over this, but I think any Bionic owner coming in here to make claims the Nexus will be worse than the Bionic in this area or that is a little premature. And I'm saying this as a Bionic owner.

NeoLogic

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone noticed that when you press the screen on the Bionic a bit hard it appears that the glass touches the screen? I haven't been able to reproduce the same effect on any other android phone I've held.

I just tried it... didn't notice. The Bionic requires such a light touch I don't see why one would have to press hard anyway

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
have all of you Sammy slammers just decided not to read the reviews of the SGS2? It is pretty much heralded as the best phone out in every review i have read. Engadget went as far to say as the best Smart Phone out. They have just recently hit the Android world hard and i think their numbers and wild popularity has shown them the light. It seems they are the most aggressive phone manufacturer out right now.

Reactions: Nirvana328

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Still Samsung no matter how good reviews are. They have to flood market with new phones they don't support the American versions.
have all of you Sammy slammers just decided not to read the reviews of the SGS2? It is pretty much heralded as the best phone out in every review i have read. Engadget went as far to say as the best Smart Phone out. They have just recently hit the Android world hard and i think their numbers and wild popularity has shown them the light. It seems they are the most aggressive phone manufacturer out right now.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Still Samsung no matter how good reviews are. They have to flood market with new phones they don't support the American versions.

It may be produced by Samsung, but I still think of the Nexus as Google's phone. And I'm eager to see if the rumors about a metal chassis pan out.

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I had the bionic for two weeks it was a great but the major problems i had with it brot me back to my og droid.here is a list of my problems

1.Black screen of death(screen goes black and you need to do a battery pull causes your alarm to not go off)
2.High pitch squeal when listening through headphones on any app or program.
3.Very bad camera (1080p video is amazing)
4.Price $399.99 on contract ?

This guy never had a bionic. He obviously combed the forums for any possible issues and then claimed them all as his own. Add that to the fact that he got the published price incorrect and the only reasonable conclusion is that we have a troll.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I have a DROIDX. If my contract was up then I would get the bionic in a second. Motorola's call quality is great, I get pretty good battery life and they have always upgraded my phone to the latest software. Now that google owns Motorola I only expect this process to get faster. Also, if I waited for the Prime then by the time it came out there would be another phone on the horizon that I would be tempted to hold out for. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make a decision.

Kettle

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
One other thing. I played with a live Droid Bionic in Costco the other day and I quite liked the screen. That being said I really like the Samsung screens as well. I would be happy with either one.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

um, ok ... ;) . I don't know why there has to be such fanboy-ism all the time. The SGS2 is pretty awesome, period. If you like your Bionic, then great. I happen to love Samsung phones. I have a Fascinate that I love. Different strokes are what makes Android so great, everyone has a choice.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Infact, due to the screen, the Bionic has the best battery life to any other Android device I've owned.... which is 5 others, OG, DX, Continuum, Xperia Play, and Charge.

OK I have to call you on this one, if your Bionic has better battery life than your DX, how are you accomplishing this? At present my DX is at 50% and was unplugged 8 hours 42 minutes ago display is 56% (display on two hours 9 min), Voice calls 25%, phone idle 9%,cell standby 8% etc. I went from a DX to the Bionic and back to the DX because of the battery only. Not a big fan of the extended battery I bought and used for one day. With 4G Lte on the Bionic I was getting about 5 hours and with it Lte off the best I could do was almost 10 hours. I am also on call and must have phone on at all times, receive push email at all times so I am not sure if Juice Defender would work for me. I also hear it causes lag when starting apps.

Back on topic, I am here because I am looking for a phone that is more powerful than my DX. If the Nexus can't manage the battery any better then the Bionic it wont be for me either. I realize that phones will consume more power as we add features but for my taste I can get by and make trade offs for the battery life I need. One example is the Bionic screen, it worked for me, I could see it outside and it required less power. Still waiting for Nexus specs but I do hope when they arrive that someone doesn't refer to 6 hours on a charge as phenomenal battery life.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This guy never had a bionic. He obviously combed the forums for any possible issues and then claimed them all as his own. Add that to the fact that he got the published price incorrect and the only reasonable conclusion is that we have a troll.

Maybe he has so much money that he can't remember what he paid for the Bionic. After all there was a question mark at the end of that sentence.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae