Is the Nexus Prime suppose to be better than the Bionic?

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I wasn't going to even comment on this, but i seriously cant believe that there is any debate over this. and seriously not a 10 page debate to boot!

There is really no comparison between the bionic and the Prime. If the rumored prime is the next nexus, there is NO DOUBT that it will be the best phone out (at least for a month or so haha). Being that it is the Nexus means that it has to set the bar for the next round of devices. If this thing comes out with anything less than OMG specs and not to mention ICS, i will be utterly shocked.

OP, do youself a fave and just wait for the nexus. The Bionic will still be there if you choose that, but i promise you will kick yourself in the head if you buy the Bionic once you see the Nexus.

Reactions: Nirvana328

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
no such thing is a "best phone" that is reserved for lifeless robots lost in a matrix. Here in the real world (Alan Jackson) the best phone is the one that let's people call you, and lets you stay connected to your people and performs what you need it to do. You can kick your self over phone vanity all you want, and if it makes going through life easier to log in and tell everyone one else how bad their crap stinks because they don't think your phone is the Jessica Jesus. Then do so, because I know it can Hurt to live life with unresolved crisis. There is nothing to compare but ones own consolability with life. Words here are a direct extension of your mind. Promising people they will kick themselves in the head? Oh dude.... Just get the prime and come up in here and say bad the bionic ducks because of your experience with it. It will be tremendously helpful.

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Just worried about Nexus battery life with LTE and phone size with that screen. Wish they used Exynos. Ah well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

frettfreak

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
no such thing is a "best phone" that is reserved for lifeless robots lost in a matrix. Here in the real world (Alan Jackson) the best phone is the one that let's people call you, and lets you stay connected to your people and performs what you need it to do. You can kick your self over phone vanity all you want, and if it makes going through life easier to log in and tell everyone one else how bad their crap stinks because they don't think your phone is the Jessica Jesus. Then do so, because I know it can Hurt to live life with unresolved crisis. There is nothing to compare but ones own consolability with life. Words here are a direct extension of your mind. Promising people they will kick themselves in the head? Oh dude.... Just get the prime and come up in here and say bad the bionic ducks because of your experience with it. It will be tremendously helpful.

lmao... seriously your gonna talk all this **** on a forum dedicated to android fanatics? eat my ass ***** face :eek: then go punch yourself in the face cause you sound like a total douche bag... probably got 2 polo's on (one pink of course) and both collars popped right now.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
lmao... seriously your gonna talk all this **** on a forum dedicated to android fanatics? eat my ass ***** face :eek: then go punch yourself in the face cause you sound like a total douche bag... probably got 2 polo's on (one pink of course) and both collars popped right now.

relax...........

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

You forgot to add "and your father smells of elderberries"

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm guessing, whatever you think of the Bionic's battery life, it will get better with ICS. Since ICS is designed for multi-core phones. How much better obviously remains to be seen. I'm guessing the Samsung Galaxy Nexus will have battery life on par with the Bionics'.

I too believe the Nexus will be a better phone because of the rumored specs. I would wait for the Nexus simply because you could compare the phones head to head and then make an informed decision. Not to mention the Vigor is coming as well.

Last edited:

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
People are killing me with this horrible screen talk. I just same from an iPhone 4 to the DROID bionic. And the iPhone has the best screen on the market and although this isn't the iPhone the bionic screen is not HORRIBLE. I think people are heavily exaggerating in this forum thread.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
People are killing me with this horrible screen talk. I just same from an iPhone 4 to the DROID bionic. And the iPhone has the best screen on the market and although this isn't the iPhone the bionic screen is not HORRIBLE. I think people are heavily exaggerating in this forum thread.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

+1. There are unfortunately too few "considered" or measured opinions here. Too many descriptions are nothing more than hyperbole. "Awful, BEST!, terrible, Awesome !" On the 0 to 10 meter, way too many people describe things in terms of 0 or 10, than in terms of 4 or 7 or something which is probably closer to reality. Nothing new though, that is for sure.

Reactions: phonejunky

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
+1. There are unfortunately too few "considered" or measured opinions here. Too many descriptions are nothing more than hyperbole. "Awful, BEST!, terrible, Awesome !" On the 0 to 10 meter, way too many people describe things in terms of 0 or 10, than in terms of 4 or 7 or something which is probably closer to reality. Nothing new though, that is for sure.
Nail hit. Objective data. Brilliant.

NeoLogic

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
OK I have to call you on this one, if your Bionic has better battery life than your DX, how are you accomplishing this? At present my DX is at 50% and was unplugged 8 hours 42 minutes ago display is 56% (display on two hours 9 min), Voice calls 25%, phone idle 9%,cell standby 8% etc. I went from a DX to the Bionic and back to the DX because of the battery only. Not a big fan of the extended battery I bought and used for one day. With 4G Lte on the Bionic I was getting about 5 hours and with it Lte off the best I could do was almost 10 hours. I am also on call and must have phone on at all times, receive push email at all times so I am not sure if Juice Defender would work for me. I also hear it causes lag when starting apps.

Back on topic, I am here because I am looking for a phone that is more powerful than my DX. If the Nexus can't manage the battery any better then the Bionic it wont be for me either. I realize that phones will consume more power as we add features but for my taste I can get by and make trade offs for the battery life I need. One example is the Bionic screen, it worked for me, I could see it outside and it required less power. Still waiting for Nexus specs but I do hope when they arrive that someone doesn't refer to 6 hours on a charge as phenomenal battery life.

I'm rooted and debloated, ditched Blur for Go Launcher. I run 4g at work and 3g else where. Comparing the two, battery life is about the same regardless of what network I'm on. (I think its odd too.)

So at idle with the phone in my pocket I'm looking at 1% drain every two hours. Under heavy use like Dungeon Defenders multiplayer, 20% an hour.
Moderate use, which would be phone calls, web browsing, email txt, and less intense gaming, 5%-10%.

With stock battery I can easily hit 15 hour with light use. 8hr for a good day at work with no time for gaming.

My DX running DarkSlide would be thirsty at 7hrs too with same usage.
I have to say the DX and Bionic both have very similar battery life. I think the Bionics efficient screen makes up for the radios. However when pushed hard, like GPS, gaming, 100% brightness, the DX's battery would get destroyed where the Bionic kinda just sips electrons.

I certainly dont think the Bionic isn't without fault. My beef isn't the battery life. Infact I'm still debating returning this thing because its really pissing me off. The ******* freaking way Moto decided to mount the internal storage as /sdcard is about the most dumb and absurd thing an intelligent entity could possibly do. It renders my 32gb sdcard useless as ANY music app I'm willing to use will not save to the SDCard. It saves to the internal storage. There are a small percentage of apps like Tibackup that can have save locations changed, but now I have to use my stupid ass iPod for music. ******ed...
Other thing is the ridiculous performance of the camera both stills and video.
Anyway... that's my opinion of the Bionic which I've owned since 9-11.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I actually am still using it and will be giving it to my wife when the Prime comes out. It's a nice device, but I some of its shortcomings made it a phone I didn't want to use for a long term period. I'm not going to get into an online argument over this, but I think any Bionic owner coming in here to make claims the Nexus will be worse than the Bionic in this area or that is a little premature. And I'm saying this as a Bionic owner.

You called me biased and I clearly stated the nexus would be better.

I just disputed what people were saYing that we have no proof of.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
You called me biased and I clearly stated the nexus would be better.

I just disputed what people were saYing that we have no proof of.

I responded to a post that asserted the Bionic would have a much better battery life than the Nexus...based on no evidence. I never called you biased...I wasn't responding to your statement.

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm a phone noob with a Droid 1 and been wanting to upgrade my phone. The Bionic looks impressive but I'm willing to wait for a better device. Your thoughts?

Wow there is so much FUD and pointless spec debates it's not even answering his question. Anyone who says one device is clearly better than the other is either biased or a fool. No one can decide which device is better except for you. Each device has its merits. And just to be upfront, I own a Nexus One and am waiting for the Nexus Prime to be released.

The Bionic is the top of the line device available right now. Dual core, 4G, large screen and rugged industrial style design from Moto (if you like that sort of thing).

The Nexus Prime really has no known specs other than it will be Vanilla Android, it will have software support directly from Google instead of Verizon or Samsung, and most likely it will be competitively spec'd with current high end devices (dual core, large screen, lots of ram and internal storage, and possibly other specs like 4G or NFC).

Having support from Google has several obvious and less obvious advantages. First it will ship with the latest software and have no skins to add bugs or ruin compatibility with other apps. Second it will also get updates SIGNIFICANTLY faster and for a longer period than the Bionic (or any device).

That second point is key because as someone mentioned software is the most important part of a phone. My Nexus One is almost 2 years old but is still an excellent device and has all the best features because it has one of the latest versions of Android available. Netflix, HBO Go, high end games, the latest Google app features (technically if I had a front facing camera I could use Google Talk to video chat) etc, everything works for my phone because of the updated software (with no manufacturer skins to slow it down or create bugs). So even with my old dated hardware my phone is still competitive to many phones released today and has a much better shelf life than newer phones that had their updates abandoned by the carriers and manufacturers.

So really you have to weigh the pros and cons of each phone against what is most important to you. Some say the Bionic has a poor screen, but maybe you won't notice. The Nexus Prime may be from Samsung which people criticize for having a cheap plasticy feeling case, but maybe you like the idea of a thin and light device. Maybe you don't care about the latest and greatest software or updates, or maybe you need a new phone ASAP and can't wait until the end of Oct for them to announce the Nexus Prime. It really depends on what you want. But personally I would wait until they announce the Prime and see for yourself what the specs will be and then you can make an informed decision.

milkshed27

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I just tried it... didn't notice. The Bionic requires such a light touch I don't see why one would have to press hard anyway

You're absolutely right, there really is no need to press hard but it is something that i noticed for the first time when long pressing on the screen to add a widget. Maybe I have heavy fingers, I don't know. This was on 3 different Bionics that I had and 2 more at Verizon. I just found it to be pretty weird considering Motorola's rep for having such great build quality.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i find it astounding that so many people on these forums go through so many phones!!!!! i mean people keep posting "after my second phone, or my third, etc. i have been a geek for a long time, i have had dozens of smart phones since before the old htc 6900, treo 600/650/700, 6 different BB, OGD, D1, fascinate, D2 and yes i have had an iphone as well. i have never had a problem, my friends have had the same phones. my family has had the same. what issues could possibly lead to 3-5 returns. and in the case of the bionic, it has been out 15 days!!! i had a D1 and beat the **** out of it and had it until i shattered the screen a month ago.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
You're absolutely right, there really is no need to press hard but it is something that i noticed for the first time when long pressing on the screen to add a widget. Maybe I have heavy fingers, I don't know. This was on 3 different Bionics that I had and 2 more at Verizon. I just found it to be pretty weird considering Motorola's rep for having such great build quality.

you dont have to press harder for long vs short presses. these are capacitive touch screens, they actually dont require pressing, just touching works. long touch to add widget. touch swipe, etc. on most modern multipoint TOUCH screens they are sensitive enough to were you should just have to literally lay your finger on screen for a few seconds to bring up widget menu.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
i find it astounding that so many people on these forums go through so many phones!!!!! i mean people keep posting "after my second phone, or my third, etc. i have been a geek for a long time, i have had dozens of smart phones since before the old htc 6900, treo 600/650/700, 6 different BB, OGD, D1, fascinate, D2 and yes i have had an iphone as well. i have never had a problem, my friends have had the same phones. my family has had the same. what issues could possibly lead to 3-5 returns. and in the case of the bionic, it has been out 15 days!!! i had a D1 and beat the **** out of it and had it until i shattered the screen a month ago.

Great post and point. I have not taking my Bionic back or my wife. I believe the main reason the people on this site complain about taking them back so much (weather it is the truth or not) is because simple put they are geeks. The smallest problem and they go running back to the store yelling defect. They notice things the regular consumer approach doesn't give two.....'s about if you get my lack of a better word. most people I would say 95% aren't returning these phones like the people on this site are.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Great post and point. I have not taking my Bionic back or my wife. I believe the main reason the people on this site complain about taking them back so much (weather it is the truth or not) is because simple put they are geeks. The smallest problem and they go running back to the store yelling defect. They notice things the regular consumer approach doesn't give two.....'s about if you get my lack of a better word. most people I would say 95% aren't returning these phones like the people on this site are.

A geek would either try to fix the problem or find a work around for the problem. A whiner takes it back at the first issue and cries defect!