09-26-2011 08:34 AM
148 123 ...
tools
    Excuse my ignorance. I'm a phone noob with a Droid 1 and been wanting to upgrade my phone. The Bionic looks impressive but I'm willing to wait for a better device. Your thoughts?
    09-21-2011 08:03 PM
    I would wait until there is more info on the specs. Right now everything about the Prime is guesswork and rumor.

The bionic has nice specs, but the screen is horrible. If that matters to you, go into Verizon and put the screen of the Charge up against the Bionic and see how bad the Bionic is.

If you go by the specs rumored, the Prime will have either comparable or better specs.
    ejaymd11 and wburney2 like this.
    09-21-2011 08:11 PM
    I compared the Droid 3 screen to the bionic and the Droid blew it out of the water.
    piranha477 likes this.
    09-21-2011 08:18 PM
    Whenever I see posts like this, I'm tempted to tell people "buy now" just so I have less competition for when the Nexus comes out... Joking aside, I also have the original Droid, and my coworker got a Bionic last week that I was playing with. If you are absolutely dying for a new phone... then it's a fast phone, display didn't seem too bad (mind you comparing to the original Droid), and of course has LTE. Personally I'm going to keep my original Droid safe for a few more weeks and see what happens with the all the Nexus rumors. As much as I badly want a faster phone with LTE, the OG Droid, though often sluggish with bloat needing a reset... works fine right now to get me a few more weeks.

-Mike
    09-21-2011 08:36 PM
    Excuse my ignorance. I'm a phone noob with a Droid 1 and been wanting to upgrade my phone. The Bionic looks impressive but I'm willing to wait for a better device. Your thoughts?
    surely you jest The samsung droid galaxy nexus prime will be levels above the bionic, not just perfermance, overall. fit, finish, DISPLAY, OS, OS updates, etc
    Bobrowe78 likes this.
    09-21-2011 09:27 PM
    The only thing i hesitate to agree with you on is performance. The bionic is dual core. If the prime is then i agree with you all the way. If not, then maybe the bionic will have a slight edge in that one category. But it will be very slight and the scree alone will more than make up for the very small gain

Charged up post!
    mbsweb likes this.
    09-21-2011 10:58 PM
    I doubt the nexus wont be dual core. Im almost willing to guarantee it will have dual core.

The big thing to me is while it will have a better screen than the bionic, it will also be better on battery life. Plus that coupled with ice cream sandwich should give us awesome battery life.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    09-22-2011 12:18 AM
    I agree, at this stage of the game anything " high end" is dual core
    09-22-2011 03:00 AM
    The main selling points of the Nexus over any currently available Android phone.

1. It will have the latest version of Android (though we don't know at present how much better ICS is then Gingerbread, but it's not going to be worse)
    2.It will be stock Android without bloatware or proprietary launchers.(Though some people like then)
    3. It will receive software updates faster then non-nexus phones.
    4. If will (most likely) receive more support from Rom Chefs and hackers (if you are into that sort of thing)
    5. It will (possibly) be NFC equipped. This may mean nothing to you now, but if you have the phone on a 2 year contract will certainly become more important.

As you can see I've had to add qualifiers to most of my comments, this is simply because we don't know anything much about it. In fact there is still AFAIK no actual confirmation this phone exists.
    Piquedram likes this.
    09-22-2011 04:48 AM
    The only thing i hesitate to agree with you on is performance. The bionic is dual core. If the prime is then i agree with you all the way. If not, then maybe the bionic will have a slight edge in that one category. But it will be very slight and the scree alone will more than make up for the very small gain

Charged up post!
    there's almost 0 chance that the prime won't have dual core, it was first rumored to have Kal El - first mobile quad core, but now it's most likely going to be TI OMAP4460, which is *only* a fast dual core, in fact if you're taking account into benchmark, OMAP4430 which is supposed to be slower than 4460 has blown Tegra 2 (Bionic) out of the water, so you can only imagine how much better 4460 is going to be.
    09-22-2011 05:16 AM
    there's almost 0 chance that the prime won't have dual core, it was first rumored to have Kal El - first mobile quad core, but now it's most likely going to be TI OMAP4460, which is *only* a fast dual core, in fact if you're taking account into benchmark, OMAP4430 which is supposed to be slower than 4460 has blown Tegra 2 (Bionic) out of the water, so you can only imagine how much better 4460 is going to be.
    bionic has a 4430 not a tegra 2
    09-22-2011 06:55 AM
    bionic has a 4430 not a tegra 2
    hmm, ok, did a quick search before some says tegra 2 some says 4430, turns out 4430 is the one in Bionic, I stand corrected, thanks for the heads up. Needless to say, I'm not very into Bionic anyway.
    But my point still stands, Prime's spec will be better ultimately.
    09-22-2011 07:05 AM
    Yeah he's correct the Bionic does not run the Tegra 2 chipset. I am pretty sure it did at first but Verizon told Motorola to go back to the drawing boards to make a better device and they switched to OMAP.
    09-22-2011 07:51 AM
    Well, not just from a benchmarking standpoint, also consider the development side. The Nexus line is still for developers, and right now, there are no dual-core Nexus phones. And one of the advancements that ICS is supposed to provide is enhanced support for multiple core devices. So, purely from a developer's standpoint, the Nexus will have to be a dual-core phone.
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    09-22-2011 08:16 AM
    Here's an interesting question/statement thing... They are saying 1 gb ram, better be ddr2. That or bust. Bionic has it. Good chance the bionic has a samsung ram module even
    09-22-2011 09:22 AM
    Short answer to thread question: yes.
    DolfanCole and jxbravo like this.
    09-22-2011 09:42 AM
    Here's an interesting question/statement thing... They are saying 1 gb ram, better be ddr2. That or bust. Bionic has it. Good chance the bionic has a samsung ram module even
    The RAM is part of the TI OMAP SoC.. I think its made by Elpida, fwiw.. and OMAP4 only has a LPDDR2 controller, so there you go... Nexus is supposed to be based on OMAP4
    delco714 likes this.
    09-22-2011 01:34 PM
    It will be sexier hardware for sure and running stock android. I don't think the battery life can be known at this point, that's just wishful thinking that it will be better.

A lot of phone buying comes down to personal preference. I don't have an interest in a 4.6" screen on a phone, I was hesitant about the bionic due to size too. That said, you need to go and fondle the phones to really know if you will be happy with them. Reviews and spec sheets can only tell you so much about how much you will like it.
    09-22-2011 01:54 PM
    sorry, but bionic dont have Tegra 2 which kinda makes me question if your whole claim is even true...
    psolis likes this.
    09-23-2011 06:10 AM
    sorry, but bionic dont have Tegra 2 which kinda makes me question if your whole claim is even true...
    dude did you read the rest of the thread or did you jumped straight to replying?
    09-23-2011 07:01 AM
    Waiting in line ducks and is boring. If it makes economical sense, then wait. Is there a definite on what phone is better? I think that is relative. I passed on the SG2 because it does not suit my needs. The Bionic was offered to me by Verizon with unlimited LTE data And unlimited LTE hotspot. I have Always had good experiences with motorola and the call quality is top notch (phone first.) For my needs and budget, the Bionic smoked the Vapor prime every day of the week. I can always get the prime, but unlimited LTE? Get what suits Your needs, and if you need to wait, wait. Remember, just because it is read on the Internet doesn't make it true. When the prime gets here, go check it out! Good luck. The Bionic is a beast, and ICS being built around the omap will bring this phone great things to come to compete with the prime and iphone 4S. There will NEVER be a "best" device, just a device that is Best for you.

I recommend reading the Bionic section here. You can compare that to rumors and decide for yourself! Best advice I have given all day.
    Nirvana328 likes this.
    09-23-2011 07:14 AM
    The fact that bionic owners are sniffing around in the prime thread may be the answer to the OP's question... jkjk I keed I keed..
    09-23-2011 04:54 PM
    Wait. Resolutions will be higher, soft capactive keys will be removed for bigger screens. Higher specs. Better software. These are all guaranteed. The actual specs are up in the air but we know where the trends are leading us.
    09-23-2011 05:24 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, It's very pixie-lated
    09-23-2011 05:25 PM
    It will be better than the Bionic but not by as much as people are claiming. If you can hold out, do it, if not, pick up the Bionic, you won't be disappointed. And the screen is not horrible by the way. I was disappointed in the screen at first but now I don't see the flaws I use to and have come to love the screen! Both will be great devices!
    BarneyDroid likes this.
    09-23-2011 05:29 PM
148 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD