Nexus Galaxy Droid Prime and Iphone 5 Announcement

mrmurdstone

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Speculation, but here goes my logic...

Iphone 5 is due to be announced Oct 4.

Iphone will be sold on all major carriers with the exception of T-mo. That being the case, the ubiquitous availability of the Iphone on the carriers will mean it no longer represents a carrier-specific differentiation factor to entice someone to change carriers in order to purchase the Iphone. Furthermore, the Iphone advertising scheme isn't geared toward favoring a specific carrier, just the availability of the Iphone 5 itself. Apple doesn't care who you buy it from, as long as you buy it.

Therefore, Verizon needs a super-phone to lure new customers to its service.

Enter the Galaxy Nexus Droid Prime Whatever. It will be the flagship device Verizon uses as a springboard to generate new customers. Google will use it as the springboard to introduce the world to ICS and steal thunder from Apple.

Since the Iphone 5 will be announced Oct 4, I expect Google to announce ICS within 1 week before or after. Everything I've seen indicates ICS is ready to go now. You can't demo ICS as the unifying Android os without at least one phone to show its features. TA-DA here comes the Samsung super phone.

Verizon's conspicuous absence from the vendors of the Samsung Galaxy S2 seems to confirm the rumor that Verizon will be the first carrier for next iteration of the Nexus. I fully expect to see it in the hands of one of the presenters at the Google ICS announcement event and would anticipate that we will get concrete announcement of the phone from Verizon a few days afterwards.

Nov 3 seems like the premier date for the new Nexus at Verizon. This will give Verizon ample opportunity to stoke the holiday shopping fires with marketing hype.

So, sounds logical to me...opinions!

TheDave

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon carries the iPhone. Therefore, none of this makes sense. Verizon wants to sell the iPhone.

GOOGLE needs these things for the nexus.

Verizon will give its iPhone time to sell. It will be a few weeks. Late Oct.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I've said it before but this whole Android vs. iPhone is just fanboy stuff. Verizon could care less about their phone selection. They've proven it time and time again. They turned down Apple in the first place. Verizon's biggest draw is their network.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

pmugghc

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think ICS will be unveiled by Andy Rubin at AsiaD 19-21 Oct in Hong Kong. That's the Walt Mossberg event.?

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Alucardsyco

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I've said it before but this whole Android vs. iPhone is just fanboy stuff. Verizon could care less about their phone selection. They've proven it time and time again. They turned down Apple in the first place. Verizon's biggest draw is their network.

I have to argue just a little bit. Verizon got rid of it's unlimited data plans because of Apple. Sprint is doing the exact same thing. I would say that the companies want the i*hone to generate customers, not necessarily because it's the i*hone.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Verizon carries the iPhone. Therefore, none of this makes sense. Verizon wants to sell the iPhone.

GOOGLE needs these things for the nexus.

Verizon will give its iPhone time to sell. It will be a few weeks. Late Oct.

No Verizon needs this too. You do not want to rely on only one phone to bring you new customers. You thin Verizon wants Apple or any manufacture to have them by the testicles? Contrary to what some may believe NOT everyone likes Apple, or even wants an Iphone. Verizon wants to sell ANY phone that will bring them lots and lots of costumers. One phone does not do that.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
No Verizon needs this too. You do not want to rely on only one phone to bring you new customers. You thin Verizon wants Apple or any manufacture to have them by the testicles? Contrary to what some may believe NOT everyone likes Apple, or even wants an Iphone. Verizon wants to sell ANY phone that will bring them lots and lots of costumers. One phone does not do that.

I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say Verizon needs this. They have the iPhone and a selection of Android devices. We may all want the Nexus, but there isn't a massive nationwide obsession with it. Sure, an announcement of it around the iPhone 5 would be beneficial for Google, but it's nothing VZW is going to get worked up about. For them, it comes out when it comes out.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

This.

One of the biggest faults in logic on boards like this or tipb, or what have you is that posters feel like they have a stake in the matter for who "wins" the smartphone wars (what does winning mean anyway, but that's another issue). To carriers, these phones are just commodities that allow consumers to purchase what really makes the carriers money -- their services. VZW doesn't care if you buy an iPhone or an Android device, they just want you to purchase the most expensive services that you can from them. Apple and Google cares when each release phones, and it doesn't make good business sense to have two major phone releases within a week of each other because it cannibalizes sales. I would guess that a major Android release will happen about 3 weeks after the iphone hits, but this has nothing to do with Google or Apple dictating what VZW, it just makes more business sense.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Alucardsyco;1282081[B said:
]I have to argue just a little bit. Verizon got rid of it's unlimited data plans because of Apple.[/B] Sprint is doing the exact same thing. I would say that the companies want the i*hone to generate customers, not necessarily because it's the i*hone.

I disagree if you think Apple made them get rid of the plans. They used the iPhone as an excuse to get rid of unlimited data plans because they thought a slew of new customers would be joining and wouldn't miss what they never had. Why give something away for 'free" when you can charge for it? I may have misunderstood your statement.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say Verizon needs this. They have the iPhone and a selection of Android devices. We may all want the Nexus, but there isn't a massive nationwide obsession with it. Sure, an announcement of it around the iPhone 5 would be beneficial for Google, but it's nothing VZW is going to get worked up about. For them, it comes out when it comes out.

For the gabillionth time. There is not an obsession with the Nexus because most people have no idea what a Nexus is. It has never been marketed, the benefits of a Nexus device has never been brought to the attention of the average consumer. If they had that mentality "it comes out when it comes out" they would be a horrible company, and they are far from that.

mrmurdstone

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think people might be missing the significance of the Iphone being offered on all but one of the carriers. It's commonality as a phone offering on most of the carriers makes it a far less catalyzing factor in attracting new and keeping old customers.

Furthermore, and in my opinion, from a purely practical standpoint, the Iphone's form factor and spec's are not that much different from myriad other Android phones on the market today.

That being the case, a non-Iphone with significantly different specs and form factor becomes the de-facto marketing point for one carrier over another.

That is why the proposed Nexus will be hyped by Verizon. They know Apple devotees will purchase the next Iphone regardless of carrier. Verizon will have it as a selection as well as all the other carriers. The new dog and pony show for Verizon will be the non-Iphone competitor, the Nexus.

It will supposedly offer bigger and brighter screen, new operating system and NFC. All selling points to attract new buyers and keep old customers from switching to other carriers.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
For the gabillionth time. There is not an obsession with the Nexus because most people have no idea what a Nexus is. It has never been marketed, the benefits of a Nexus device has never been brought to the attention of the average consumer. If they had that mentality "it comes out when it comes out" they would be a horrible company, and they are far from that.

You're making my point for me. Most people have no idea what a Nexus is. Thus, Verizon doesn't need this to come out ASAP. Yes, there will be interest from people like us. But there isn't suddenly going to be a national exodus of customers to VZW because of a Nexus. Nothing is going to change that for the foreseeable future.

Thunder82

May 23, 2011
Visit site

I could not agree more. Verizon's chokehold on devices is always the one thing that makes me want to switch carriers. I want a GS2 with a release schedule like the rest of the US. To be completely honest, I could care less about ICS and honestly would prefer the WVGA screen on the Sprint Epic 4G Touch. Being a test subject for a new screen resolution does not seem like fun (relive initial Honeycomb days.. no thanks) and I like to download/convert movies to watch on my phone. Having to find HD movies for proper viewing sounds like a PITA.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
You're making my point for me. Most people have no idea what a Nexus is. Thus, Verizon doesn't need this to come out ASAP. Yes, there will be interest from people like us. But there isn't suddenly going to be a national exodus of customers to VZW because of a Nexus. Nothing is going to change that for the foreseeable future.

No sorry but you missed the point.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
No sorry but you missed the point.

If I missed the point, then please explain/summarize to me what your point is. I'm really not trying to be combative - I'm just trying to get across that I don't think VZW needs this phone to come out as soon as possible. The people who are going to buy the Nexus aren't a demographic that will be swayed to the iPhone 5/4S. Sure, it would be great for Google to get it out ASAP and market the crap out of it, but that's important for Google to a much greater extent than it is for Verizon. Verizon maintains/acquires customers because of the dominance of its network, period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21