Is anyone concerned about performance with 720p?

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought - it seems like the galaxy s 2 is in a good spot for performance on the "desktop", but what about that huge resolution bump. Certainly that will demand a much faster cpu for the same smoothness and speed. Also, games might be in the correct ratio, but wouldn't be native res. Do these things concern anyone considering the cpu isn't a huge jump over the current crop?

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Definitely that's why a lot of us don't mind the 800 400 resolution. I think its possible but I feel like the demand on gpu and battery outweigh the benefits. Like a sports car beautiful but not as good on gas as a hybrid.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I would say it would perform similar to a tablet because the phone and the tablet have the same specs in terms of CPU and Screen. But the battery life will probably be like 10 hours like any other tablet :). I'm just speculating. Your guess is as good as mine.

BringItSon

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I would say it would perform similar to a tablet because the phone and the tablet have the same specs in terms of CPU and Screen. But the battery life will probably be like 10 hours like any other tablet :). I'm just speculating. Your guess is as good as mine.

tablet has far bigger batteries though.... if it performs same like tablet, but has 1/4 of battery, that would leave us with 1/4th of battery life. that would be 2.5 hours.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
But tablets also have a much larger screen. Don't worry, the battery life and performance of the nexus prime will be good.

sent from my Droid X, which also eats iPhones.

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm not that concerned about battery life. It's not related to resolution, it's related to brightness, back lighting, and size of the display. Because of the much smaller display and AMOLED which doesn't have a backlight on all the time, I'm not concerned that it'll be much worse than it is with today's phones.

However, the sheer number of pixels that the CPU/GPU has to push will go up by almost a factor of 3, requiring a LOT more "horsepower" to get the job done. Someone compared it to modern tablets, and that's exactly what worries me. Android tablets (thus far) have not thrilled me with their speed or responsiveness at all. Especially in windows with flash running. I feel like the latest generation of flagship smartphones have finally gotten to the point where they're smooth as glass to operate, but that took a 1.2GHz dual core CPU and it's only at 800x480 res.

I'm definitely eager for that ultra sharp 720p resolution, but to be honest, as I'm accustomed to using an ipad for an ereader, and my current Epic 4G Touch PPI is far better than that anyway, the lower res isn't something I can't live with.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
Just a thought - it seems like the galaxy s 2 is in a good spot for performance on the "desktop", but what about that huge resolution bump. Certainly that will demand a much faster cpu for the same smoothness and speed. Also, games might be in the correct ratio, but wouldn't be native res. Do these things concern anyone considering the cpu isn't a huge jump over the current crop?

GPU not CPU

Neon01

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
GPU not CPU

Most phones use the CPU for the UI. But yes, the latest phones do have GPU acceleration to assist there. But the question is, so what? It's not like the Prime will make a quantum leap improvement in GPU or CPU over the current top dogs like the SGII. Unless it uses some radical new way to implement the GPU in the UI that the SGII and other phones don't use, the UI performance should scale with the current phones. And with 3 times the pixels, that means performance (in this case, responsiveness) goes down.

Sorry, I'm still excited for the phone, but these things have me concerned. Still, I'm glad we're making the switch to 720p. It had to be done sometime for the industry standard to evolve. I'm just thinking that it may take the CPU/GPU world some time to "catch up".

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
i dont think it is going to affect it in the slightest, at least not noticebly. are there any new qHD phones with non qHD siblings to compare?

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
i dont think it is going to affect it in the slightest, at least not noticebly. are there any new qHD phones with non qHD siblings to compare?

It will most certainly affect it.. because you're pushing more pixels through the GPU..

AnandTech - HTC Sensation 4G Review - A Sensational Smartphone

Look at the GLBenchmarks about halfway down.. you can compare the LG Optimus 3D (WVGA SGX540) to the Motorola Droid 3 (qHD SGX540). They are identical except for the screen resolution (1GHz OMAP4, 512MB RAM)

You'll see a performance penalty basically equivalent to the increase in screen pixels. qHD is 518k pixels, WVGA is 384k.. that's 34% more.

So it really comes down to what SOC the Nexus ends up on. The SGX540 in the OMAP4460, as it is rumored to be using, is clocked 30% higher (384MHz) than the one in the 4430 (300MHz). Throw in a 50% boost in CPU, double the RAM and I think its up to the task..

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
that is absolutely not a fair assumption to compare the D3 to LG. there are dozens of issues that could affect that number, just because they use the same processor doesnt mean much. obviously it will affect the performance but i can almost promise you that it wont be noticable. you are basically saying it would be 33% slower than SGS2, no way jose. as more material, apps, games come with native 720p support it will become even less of an issue. it is easier for any video device to display native content vs scaling to native. ive used an iphone4 if that piece of * can push the retina display i am completely confident in the capability of my next HD phone.

Last edited by a moderator:

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
It should perform fine, the processors of today can handle them. It probably will drain the battery though. I do hope Saksung/Google find a way to ,Mage that or put a much bigger battery.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Look at the GLBenchmarks about halfway down.. you can compare the LG Optimus 3D (WVGA SGX540) to the Motorola Droid 3 (qHD SGX540). They are identical except for the screen resolution (1GHz OMAP4, 512MB RAM)

You'll see a performance penalty basically equivalent to the increase in screen pixels. qHD is 518k pixels, WVGA is 384k.. that's 34% more.

That is not necessarily true. As eDizzle points out, there are many factors that go into performance, including hardware acceleration and optimized software. I don't think we can say with any confidence exactly how much effect the higher res screen will affect performance.

that is absolutely not a fair assumption to compare the D3 to LG. there are dozens of issues that could affect that number, just because they use the same processor doesnt mean dick. obviously it will affect the performance but i can almost promise you that it wont be noticable. ...

I think it is a pretty fair basis of comparison actually. Clearly there are other factors involved. But also, clearly, increasing resolution on any device increases the draw on the GPU/CPU and can affect performance. Try lowering the screen resolution on your PC some for 5 minutes, and surf around the net or open and close browsers and see how much faster your PC performs. Screen resolution is not a small factor, but I don't think we can know how well the new software and H/W handle it until we see it firsthand.

whitecomet

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
This phone will be the first ics phone. The hardware may be built around that fact and therfore hold a advanage over a brute like the vigor. We will see I just hope it does not have pentile it's gonna be a tough decision for this or the vigor both seem to be so impressive.

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
That is not necessarily true. As eDizzle points out, there are many factors that go into performance, including hardware acceleration and optimized software. I don't think we can say with any confidence exactly how much effect the higher res screen will affect performance.

I answered the question of whether there were qHD and non-qHD siblings to compare to each other.

The original question is whether screen resolution affects performance. It does. Yea, it's not the ONLY thing.. but to say it doesn't matter is just wrong.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I answered the question of whether there were qHD and non-qHD siblings to compare to each other.

The original question is whether screen resolution affects performance. It does. Yea, it's not the ONLY thing.. but to say it doesn't matter is just wrong.
Yes I agree with that part, as the rest of my post (that you didn't quote) said.

I was just pointing out that we can't say with certainty that 34 % more pixels means a 34 % performance hit, other factors exist.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
More optimization in ICS should make up for the resolution bump.

Honestly, I couldn't care. Once you get up to the larger screen sizes (4 inches +) with just 480x800, I can easily see pixels. Which is annoying.

So I'll take it.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Most phones use the CPU for the UI. But yes, the latest phones do have GPU acceleration to assist there. But the question is, so what? It's not like the Prime will make a quantum leap improvement in GPU or CPU over the current top dogs like the SGII. Unless it uses some radical new way to implement the GPU in the UI that the SGII and other phones don't use, the UI performance should scale with the current phones. And with 3 times the pixels, that means performance (in this case, responsiveness) goes down.

Sorry, I'm still excited for the phone, but these things have me concerned. Still, I'm glad we're making the switch to 720p. It had to be done sometime for the industry standard to evolve. I'm just thinking that it may take the CPU/GPU world some time to "catch up".
I'm pretty sure with the latest phones that are starting to touch on hardware acceleration, I don't think they are touching the surface to the system level hardware acceleration that I think Ice Cream Sandwich will bring. If apple can make a smoother experience than any android device existing, with a 960 x640 screen and a single core processor by using that deep graphics accerleration, Google should be able to make it work on 1280x720 with dual cores and modern gpu's no problem. I think we will see an even smoother OS than ever before even given the higher demand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo