What kind of processing power can we expect?

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been kind of slow around here so I thought I drum up a discussion on this supposed power house of a phone.

So we know that ICS wanted to be pushed by a TI OMAP processor. It's the processor of choice for ICS. Here is a source for that: Android Ice-Cream Sandwich Coming Late October. OMAP 4 Devices to Get It First?

However, as we all know, rumors have been circulating that a Exynos 1.5Ghz processor may actually be in this new phone (Gaxlaxy Nexus...Droid Prime....whatever...)

I use to think that the TI OMAP was the processor to get, OMAP I think it was....but now there are some major delays with this OMAP chip.

What kind of processing power would a 1.5Ghz Exynos Provide?

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Where are you seeing issues with the OMAP?

Here's a quote from the article: "According to ARCHOS' Facebook page, "there have been some delays" with TI's OMAP 4 processor."

Source: ARCHOS G9 Tablets Delayed Until The 'Start of 2012'... Sort Of

There was also another article that actually mentioned the delay. I'm trying to find it, but the above article also mentions the delay.

EDIT: Found it. http://androidandme.com/2011/09/new...-1-5-ghz-omap4-affect-the-nexus-prime-launch/

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I believe that the new OMAP processor (Can someone get the exact model for me) is said to be delayed on Archos's tablet, yes, nut it might be due to short supplies or simply an issue simply with the hardware of their specific device. We're too far ahead to backpedal on this device with a different processor. Worse case scenario, you'll see the current OMAP processor that's seen in phones like the DROID Bionic and DROID 3 instead.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I believe that the new OMAP processor (Can someone get the exact model for me) is said to be delayed on Archos's tablet, yes, nut it might be due to short supplies or simply an issue simply with the hardware of their specific device. We're too far ahead to backpedal on this device with a different processor. Worse case scenario, you'll see the current OMAP processor that's seen in phones like the DROID Bionic and DROID 3 instead.

I see. Well that kind of begs the question, would you guys prefer there was an Exynos chip inside instead of the OMAP?

huskerkate

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
yeah, the delays have to do with the OMAP 4460, which was intended to be in the new ICS phones. the thought is that these phones coming out might just use the current OMAP 4430 (like in the Bionic), but that it will be "turbo charged" to get more processing speed out of them.

i don't understand all the technical workings of the chips, so i can't give a "preference." but, i would think that Google chose the OMAP 4460 for ICS for a reason. that being said, the Krait Snapdragon is supposed to be better than both the OMAP and Exynos...

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
yeah, the delays have to do with the OMAP 4460, which was intended to be in the new ICS phones. the thought is that these phones coming out might just use the current OMAP 4430 (like in the Bionic), but that it will be "turbo charged" to get more processing speed out of them.

Can you emphasize on the "Turbo Charged" portion here? Are we talking just a chip that is overclocked rather than a chip that we can later overclock through root access?

Also, I can understand computing power is important, but I'd imagine that with a mobile device and it's GUI, the graphics chip would be a bit more important. Am I wrong in this thinking?

MetalPhoenix79

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The OMAP that is rumored to be used is the 4460.

I believe that the shortage or whatever it is will not affect the Nexus production. My reasoning is that TI has known that the Nexus would be using the 4460 for roughly a year (since Google starts shopping for the following Nexus about a year in advance). It may be that TI can not fill Archo's request and therefore it will be delayed. Those are my thoughts.

Bobrowe78

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I think this is gonna be the main deference between the Verizon version and the GSM one. The Verizon one i believe will have a 1.5 exynos and the GSM will use the omap 4460. I know the current exynos doesn't support lte but they have had enough time to rework it which I think is happening with the 2 phones they announced yesterday.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I think this is gonna be the main deference between the Verizon version and the GSM one. The Verizon one i believe will have a 1.5 exynos and the GSM will use the omap 4460. I know the current exynos doesn't support lte but they have had enough time to rework it which I think is happening with the 2 phones they announced yesterday.

I doubt that would be the case. Regardless if Google let Samsung/Verizon rework the phone, I would think it would still have to meet a certain set of specifications to ensure a positive experience. Similar to how Google did with it's partners with Honeycomb tablets.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

Interesting. So you're saying the new Samsung devices have a new version of Exynos and support LTE?

Well...Google wants OMAP to push ICS. And that Exynos chip looks like one mean beast of a chip, even compared to OMAP. So I'd say there IS a small chance that Exynos may show up in this new Nexus.

However, as mentioned, Google wants OMAP to deal with ICS so if it's a Google Experience phone we are getting, then chances are strong that we will see an OMAP.

Still though, I have to ask:
Would you rather have an Exynos in this new Nexus?

or

Have an older version of the OMAP4?

I'd rather have an Exynos, only because if there is indeed a new version which supports LTE, then that's all next gen stuff and should be in this new next gen Nexus device. I don't like the idea of an older not so next gen tech. being in this new Nexus device.

Know what I mean?

Bobrowe78

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
They didn't say for sure what chips are in them but I'm thinking its a reworked exynos. It seems like to me that both the verizon version and the GSM version are going to be very similar if not exact copies appearance wise so there has to be something internal that separates the 2 and I believe it will be the chips.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I have to disagree. Why on earth would Google/Samsung use two different chips? And if we're going to assume they would, why would they put the chip that doesn't support LTE into the phone going to the network with the largest and most advanced LTE network in the country?

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I have to disagree. Why on earth would Google/Samsung use two different chips? And if we're going to assume they would, why would they put the chip that doesn't support LTE into the phone going to the network with the largest and most advanced LTE network in the country?

Well someone on here mentioned that a new Exyeno chip is out and in the latest Samsung devices that support LTE. So its a possibility.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Well someone on here mentioned that a new Exyeno chip is out and in the latest Samsung devices that support LTE. So its a possibility.

Sure it's a possibility. It's also technically a possibility that they'll house the device in a hot pink aluminum chassis. My question is why would they possibly fragment the chips like that, and if they would, why would they give the LTE network the chip more likely to be incompatible.

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Sure it's a possibility. It's also technically a possibility that they'll house the device in a hot pink aluminum chassis. My question is why would they possibly fragment the chips like that, and if they would, why would they give the LTE network the chip more likely to be incompatible.

Well I'm not sure about fragmenting chips....but when it comes to a chip supporting LTE, it either does or doesn't. It's yes or no. So there really isn't a "more likely to be incompatible," but rather it works and has LTE or it doesn't.

I think it's pretty safe to say that this device will have LTE. If it didn't then it would be one of the biggest flops/disappointments ever. Samsung is no sloucher, for obvious reasons. So, either it has OMAP/LTE or it has a new revision of Exyenos which supports LTE.

Exyenos is a Samsung product....everyone knows that LTE is the way to go. If they don't revise Exyenos to support LTE then they are losing out on market share and customers. If Samsung is smart, and for the most part they probably are, then they will indeed develop an LTE based Exyenos to meet the demand/future.

A company doesn't spend money and resources on a processor of all things, only to make one revision. I'm sure there is a roadmap of sorts and future possibilities that Samsung plans on incorporating in to Exyenos.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

That makes no sense. Why would google use 2 different chipsets for the Nexus. Isn't that the whole point of the Nexus? Unity?

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Yeah except those Exynos chips only support LTE at their frequencies which differs from verizon's. So it isn't compatible. The exynos is capable of connecting to LTE, its just that it doesn't operate on verizons frequency

pmugghc

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung already fragmented the SGS2, the Tmob version uses Qualcom so they could get the faster HSDPA+ radio.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87