What kind of processing power can we expect?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's been kind of slow around here so I thought I drum up a discussion on this supposed power house of a phone.

So we know that ICS wanted to be pushed by a TI OMAP processor. It's the processor of choice for ICS. Here is a source for that: Android Ice-Cream Sandwich Coming Late October. OMAP 4 Devices to Get It First?

However, as we all know, rumors have been circulating that a Exynos 1.5Ghz processor may actually be in this new phone (Gaxlaxy Nexus...Droid Prime....whatever...)

I use to think that the TI OMAP was the processor to get, OMAP I think it was....but now there are some major delays with this OMAP chip.

What kind of processing power would a 1.5Ghz Exynos Provide?

At 1.2Ghz the Exynos chips flY. I can only relate it to the Bionic Omap (which was also fast, but graphic rendering was to be desired) unlike the Exynos. I am not sure the chip will matter so much as graphic acceleration and the proper use of RAM (cache.) The Galaxy II is so smooth, and scrolling through webpages is iOS smooth, exept unlike iPhone, flash rolls while scrolling without stuttering.

Expect great thing is the GPU is rendered BETTER like the GSII.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I'm not sure about fragmenting chips....but when it comes to a chip supporting LTE, it either does or doesn't. It's yes or no. So there really isn't a "more likely to be incompatible," but rather it works and has LTE or it doesn't.

I think it's pretty safe to say that this device will have LTE. If it didn't then it would be one of the biggest flops/disappointments ever. Samsung is no sloucher, for obvious reasons. So, either it has OMAP/LTE or it has a new revision of Exyenos which supports LTE.

Exyenos is a Samsung product....everyone knows that LTE is the way to go. If they don't revise Exyenos to support LTE then they are losing out on market share and customers. If Samsung is smart, and for the most part they probably are, then they will indeed develop an LTE based Exyenos to meet the demand/future.

A company doesn't spend money and resources on a processor of all things, only to make one revision. I'm sure there is a roadmap of sorts and future possibilities that Samsung plans on incorporating in to Exyenos.

Alright...you're really not addressing what I'm saying...which is why. It makes no sense for Samsung/Google to do this.

BoostHungry

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well Samsung just announced their next gen Exynos SoCs. I personally would rather see this in the phones as opposed to the TI OMAP 4400. I'm also dieing to know what GPU will be paired with this new Exynos 4212, I would love to see it out spec the dual-core gpu on the A5 that the new iPhone will have.

The article states the availability will be Q4 of this year, does that mean available for phones Q4 this year or available to manufactures to think about in Q4?

Also note the 16 MP camera sensor Samsung announced for mobile devices. Imagine having that pegged on the back of the Prime. I know it's overkill but reviewers will run wild with the numbers.

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Well Samsung just announced their next gen Exynos SoCs. I personally would rather see this in the phones as opposed to the TI OMAP 4400. I'm also dieing to know what GPU will be paired with this new Exynos 4212, I would love to see it out spec the dual-core gpu on the A5 that the new iPhone will have.

The article states the availability will be Q4 of this year, does that mean available for phones Q4 this year or available to manufactures to think about in Q4?

Also note the 16 MP camera sensor Samsung announced for mobile devices. Imagine having that pegged on the back of the Prime. I know it's overkill but reviewers will run wild with the numbers.

Probably means availability to manufs for developement in Q4..

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Probably means availability to manufs for developement in Q4..
So that's this quarter and if Samsung is making this next phone and this is their chip why couldn't they put their new chip in their new phone? They must have tested the chip using some phone. They developed it, and know all about it all ready.

Last edited:

Bearly

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
So that's this quarter and if Samsung is making this next phone and this is their chip why couldn't they put their new chip in their new phone? They must have tested the chip using some phone. They developed it, and know all about it all ready.

Because the Google devs wouldn't have had enough time (I think) to optimize a brand new OS (ICS) for them. And Nexus is supposed to debut with ICS.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
slimjamm, slim chance! although i would love nothing more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE