Nexus or Prime HD with pentile screen?

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Samsung returns to pentile screens and it?s not pretty ? thegadgetlife

I was holding out for this phone party because I wanted good performance, dual processor system... with a excellent HD screen ....now I read this..................

So IF this is true are you concerned about the screen display on this proposed new phone? Really not better than current Super Amoled Plus?

Should you switch from the Bionic or other pentile screen to this?

Should you wait until the middle of next year or beyond?

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Re: Nexus or Prime HD with pentil screen?

I'd have to see it first. If it's as annoying as described by others, the non-pentile samoled qHD screen on the rumored droid spyder/hd will be my choice.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

its pentile but its RGBG alignment instead of the RGBW alignment that many has complained on the Bionic. Consider this, the original Galaxy S and Nexus S are both pentile too, including many other AMOLED and SAMOLED devices are all pentile screen, do you see anyone complaining at all? If any, some people actually dissed HTC's move switching the AMOLED display to SLCD at that time. Plus when people are having hands on with the Galaxy Note which essentially is a HD SAMOLED display too, they never mentioned any problem with the screen, in fact it being crisp and detailed is the comment. With that said, I don't see a problem it being pentile, assuming they're not RGBW alignment that plagued the Bionic.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site

there is no question IMO that RGBG (nexus1/incredible) pentile is much nicer than RGBW (bionic). i had a Dinc since day 1 until about a month ago. i loved that display, if it is any better than that im good. i will probably jump even with a higher density RGBW display. the next phone sammy releases with HD screen will be non-pentile super amoled plus

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

We'll just have to wait and see how bad it is. I'm honestly not worried about it. The Galaxy Note apparently has the pentile arrangement with an HD display at 5.3" and have heard all good things about that display.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

It's definitely not going to bother me. I am super happy with my Samsung Fascinate's Pentile SAMOLD 800 x 480 screen. I have to imagine the higher res version will be even better. I am not worried in the least.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
At the resolution we're talking about, will this even matter? I claim ignorance on the technical aspects, and I admit the Bionic screen is a noticable annoyance for me, but it seems a higher resolution would make for a cleaner look regardless of the pentile. And where does it end? Are we going to be complaining about the "old 720p screens" and how bad they look in a couple years when every phone has a 1080p screen? My bet is, no one is going to be able to tell the difference. These aren't big screen TV's. Maybe this is an apples and oranges comparison, but my point is that I think this "problem" is a bit overblown. YMMV,

Bryan

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
At the resolution we're talking about, will this even matter? I claim ignorance on the technical aspects, and I admit the Bionic screen is a noticable annoyance for me, but it seems a higher resolution would make for a cleaner look regardless of the pentile. And where does it end? Are we going to be complaining about the "old 720p screens" and how bad they look in a couple years when every phone has a 1080p screen? My bet is, no one is going to be able to tell the difference. These aren't big screen TV's. Maybe this is an apples and oranges comparison, but my point is that I think this "problem" is a bit overblown. YMMV,

Bryan

That and the Bionic is a different type of Pentile, anyway. I personally don't mind its screen, but the masses seem to hate the RGBW arrangement much more than the RGBG. That white subpixel is what seems to really set people off. From my understanding, the Prime will be RGBG, so I don't think it's anything to worry about - especially considering the heightened resolution.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Compare pentile phone's battery usage statistics with amoled phones, 5-10% pentile, 40-70% amoled (all depending on user of course), typically.

The AMOLED and SAMOLED screens are both pentile while SAMOLED+ is the only AMOLED screen that has the regular RGB stripe sub pixel layout. The reason why they had to use pentile is because that was the only way they would be able to achieve that high of a resolution while keeping the screen in 'phone-sized'.

sblantipodi

Banned
Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of ignorance on pentile displays.
I'm pretty sure that Prime will be RGBG but sincerely I will be happier with RGBW.

In any case it will have a great display, I really like the improvements that pentile matrix has to offer.
If you are interested in what pentile is, what advantages has to offer there is a great blog on this good tech.
PenTile Blog

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
There is a lot of ignorance on pentile displays.
I'm pretty sure that Prime will be RGBG but sincerely I will be happier with RGBW.

In any case it will have a great display, I really like the improvements that pentile matrix has to offer.
If you are interested in what pentile is, what advantages has to offer there is a great blog on this good tech.
PenTile Blog

isn't one of main pros is the fact it has better battery life than a display with the traditional RGB?

ibejack96

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
doubt it will matter if it has a 720p res... samsung's pentile screens (original SGS) seem to not be as bad as the moto screens we've been seeing

EMM81

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am going to try to clear some things up for you guys.

RGBW pentile arrangements are ONLY used on LCD's. It results in brighter whites but weaker saturated colors. This is because a white pixel is made up of three colored pixels on an LCD each of which blocks at least 66% of the light from the back-light. So on an LCD you can never get more than a maximum 33% of the brightness produced by that back-light. The white pixel in the RGBW lets 100% of the light through and will reduce the power required only for white or non color saturated images.

RGBG pentile arrangements are used in camera sensors and OLED screens. The human eye is most sensitive to green and therefore one can create a screen using using this pentile arrangement that appears to have nearly the same resolution as an RGB stripe display. This is only true for pictures though. Text and images with straight lines especially vertical and horizontal will look fuzzy especially if they are composed of an individual color. Samsung used the pentile arrangement for their AMOLED's because they could not achieve the same resolution currently achievable with LCD's.

800x480= 768000 subpixels
(pentile)
800x480 = 1152000
960x540 = 1555200
1280x720= 1843200
(pentile)
1280x720 = 2764800

I would argue that for the screen sizes in question a 1280x720 pentile display will be amazing and at least clearer than non-pentile 540p displays!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I really think this Pentile worry will be for nothing. Most people LOVE the Galaxy S 1 phone displays. They had the same SAMOLED pentile display with a much lower resolution than this will have. As I stated before, I love the display on my Fascinate at 800 x 480. The same type of display at 1280 x 720 I expect to be tremendous. I don't doubt that we'll have a few who may knock it, but I bet 99.9% of people will LOVE the new screen if it has the specs rumored.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer