Does the stock android browser reformat text?

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Like the sense browser so that if you zoom in it creates all the text to be in a column so you only have to scroll up and fown, notvside to side?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. This is yet another good example of something skins (Sense, Touchwiz) do that is highly functional and stock android still doesn't. So many around here prefer the stock experience which apparently still lacks some seemingly obvious features, like this auto text wrapping on pinch zoom, widgets in the notification area, etc, etc ..

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Interesting. This is yet another good example of something skins (Sense, Touchwiz) do that is highly functional and stock android still doesn't. So many around here prefer the stock experience which apparently still lacks some seemingly obvious features, like this auto text wrapping on pinch zoom, widgets in the notification area, etc, etc ..

I don't think that's a feature. I absolutely despise when that happens; I think that the way the iPhone (and a few other third party Android browsers) just zoom in to the text, without reformatting it, is the better way. Something about the text constantly changing just makes me? I don't know, hate browsing on any Android device.

So opinions. They differ.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that's a feature. I absolutely despise when that happens; I think that the way the iPhone (and a few other third party Android browsers) just zoom in to the text, without reformatting it, is the better way. Something about the text constantly changing just makes me? I don't know, hate browsing on any Android device.

I actually love that about sense and hate that about the iphone/safari. For me it is much easier tonscroll up/down then left and right as well. Interesting thatbapple is now doing something similar with ios5 and the reader function.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
absolutely functional piece of sense as well as the dialer.

im trying to understand why you wouldnt want the text to be sized within limits of width of screen? why would you want to scroll up down left and right? i mean i understand different strokes/folks but, why?

left/ right, left/right, left/right, down, left/right, left/right, left/right, down........

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

im trying to understand why you wouldnt want the text to be sized within limits of width of screen? why would you want to scroll up down left and right? i mean i understand different strokes/folks but, why?

left/ right, left/right, left/right, down, left/right, left/right, left/right, down........

Exactly, also the dialer too. I much more efficient than stock. Is there a dialer app like HTCs for people without sense?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I realize opinions vary, and I would would wager you are in the very very minute minority if you are saying that people would rather pinch zoom, , read some, scroll right, scroll down, scroll left, read, scroll right... Makes zero sense to me, and this is about as frustrating as anything on Android for me.

The MUCH better, and seemingly obvious, solution is to automatically re-flow the text as you zoom in so that you don't have to pan left and right every few lines.

My only point, though slightly OT for this topic on this thread is that the skins that are so unpopular here (Sense, Touchwiz) can offer many benefits over stock android. Most on these forums feel stock Android is the holy grail, I was just pointing out that there is room for improvement ..

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site

Everyone is different. I think ideally, they should have modes for you to choose from. Those features should be built in at the base level of the OS.

Personally, I like scrolling
up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, b... wait, sorry. Wrong platform. :)

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I realize opinions vary, and I would would wager you are in the very very minute minority if you are saying that people would rather pinch zoom, , read some, scroll right, scroll down, scroll left, read, scroll right... Makes zero sense to me, and this is about as frustrating as anything on Android for me.

The MUCH better, and seemingly obvious, solution is to automatically re-flow the text as you zoom in so that you don't have to pan left and right every few lines.

My only point, though slightly OT for this topic on this thread is that the skins that are so unpopular here (Sense, Touchwiz) can offer many benefits over stock android. Most on these forums feel stock Android is the holy grail, I was just pointing out that there is room for improvement ..

No, I'm not saying that "people would rather pinch zoom, , read some, scroll right, scroll down, scroll left, read, scroll right?"

Have you used an iPhone? Are you aware of the double-tap thing? Nobody uses pinch-to-zoom daily, but you can easily double-tap a column of text and it will zoom in to where all you have to do is scroll up or down to read it.

Yeah, same as Android. But I find it to be? better. It's hard to explain in any good way, I give you that, but I doubt that I'm in the minority of preferring the situation I just described.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
No, I'm not saying that "people would rather pinch zoom, , read some, scroll right, scroll down, scroll left, read, scroll right?"

Have you used an iPhone? Are you aware of the double-tap thing? Nobody uses pinch-to-zoom daily, but you can easily double-tap a column of text and it will zoom in to where all you have to do is scroll up or down to read it.

Yeah, same as Android. But I find it to be? better. It's hard to explain in any good way, I give you that, but I doubt that I'm in the minority of preferring the situation I just described.

Not quite, because the iphone zooms in to a predetermined size, which on the 3.5" screen can still be to small in a text heavy website. If you want it to be larger, you still have to zoom in more which then requires you to scroll left and right.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Not quite, because the iphone zooms in to a predetermined size, which on the 3.5" screen can still be to small in a text heavy website. If you want it to be larger, you still have to zoom in more which then requires you to scroll left and right.

Yeah, of course. That's the only time that method doesn't work.

I'm sure I sound like a rabid Apple fanboy (hint: I'm not ;)) but I prefer the way Apple does it. I also feel like it works better, and is a smoother (that's the keyword; it might not be inherently better in any way that you can gain data from, which is why Google doesn't use it) way to browse the web on a constrained size.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No, I'm not saying that "people would rather pinch zoom, , read some, scroll right, scroll down, scroll left, read, scroll right…"

Yeah, same as Android. But I find it to be… better. It's hard to explain in any good way, I give you that, but I doubt that I'm in the minority of preferring the situation I just described.

I have used and iPhone and the double-tap to zoom to me seems about the same as on every Android device I used. However, my comments are addressing not the double tap zooming, but the automatic reflowing of text when one pinch zooms to a certain level. I don't think were are really in disagreement here (except maybe about better double tap zoom on the iPhone)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance