10-05-2011 05:42 PM
144 1234 ...
tools
    Here's a thought ... Could the large bezel actually include capacitive buttons, but are dimmed out/turned off and therefore not visible in the picture? Maybe there's an option in ICS to use/not use capacitive buttons in order to be compatible with phones released prior to ICS. Now, if this is the case, I'm definitely back on board.
    Perhaps, but that still sounds like a hell of a lot of space for capacitive buttons though. :/
    10-04-2011 09:33 AM
    Here's a thought ... Could the large bezel actually include capacitive buttons, but are dimmed out/turned off and therefore not visible in the picture? Maybe there's an option in ICS to use/not use capacitive buttons in order to be compatible with phones released prior to ICS. Now, if this is the case, I'm definitely back on board.
    It doesn't appear likely to me that they would do that since it would be rather redundant (even if it were an option) and the software buttons are going to be a highlighting feature. I was thinking they left a bit of space for sake of resting your thumb/fingers when holding the phone in landscape. I'd imagine it would be frustrating for some if they kept accidentally hitting the touch screen.
    10-04-2011 09:34 AM
    seems some ppl still say its 4.5

the screen is 4.56". it just looks and acts like a 4.3" because of the on-screen navigation buttons.

1184 x 720 = 322 dpi at 4.3"
    1280 x 720 = 322 dpi at 4.56"

the missing 96 pixels are the on screen buttons
    10-04-2011 09:38 AM
    seems like a giant waste. Obviously ICS will use capacitive buttons in older phones (see Nexus S leak) but why include that on the new Nexus?
    It's a long shot, I know. But, it seems like much more of a waste to have that large bezel with absolutely no functionality. If it's needed for the hardware inside, I'd actually prefer to make the device a little thicker to accommodate that rather than the large bezel.
    10-04-2011 09:40 AM
    I call shenanigans on this pic as the next iteration of the Nexus. May be an ICS ROM on a Nexus S though.
    wyseguy77 likes this.
    10-04-2011 09:54 AM
    It's a long shot, I know. But, it seems like much more of a waste to have that large bezel with absolutely no functionality. If it's needed for the hardware inside, I'd actually prefer to make the device a little thicker to accommodate that rather than the large bezel.
    Maybe someone could brighten the image in photoshop to see if we can see any physical buttons on the bottom.
    10-04-2011 09:55 AM
    Is it just me or do the software buttons look really big and ugly?

And with that much bezel and so much of the phone hidden, could easily be a photoshopped Nexus S
    Wiggy0211 likes this.
    10-04-2011 09:59 AM
    You guys are crazy. That's maybe 1cm of bezel. The fact that the contrast of the screen goes that black is awesome if it can fool this many people. Hold your phone sideways, why do you want your thumb blocking your screen? With a mic, antennas and ports behind that bezel it allows for a thinner profile. If this think pops out at 9mm with an LTE radio you're all going to stop complaining. This phone is going to be badass.
    Alucardsyco and oxymoron like this.
    10-04-2011 10:01 AM
    You guys are crazy. That's maybe 1cm of bezel. The fact that the contrast of the screen goes that black is awesome if it can fool this many people. Hold your phone sideways, why do you want your thumb blocking your screen? With a mic, antennas and ports behind that bezel it allows for a thinner profile. If this think pops out at 9mm with an LTE radio you're all going to stop complaining. This phone is going to be badass.
    On my OG Droid, there's only a teeeennny blank bezel space below the capacative buttons. Sure there's a small lip but that's so out of the way it doesn't even count IMO. I get along fine w/out a giant bezel now, why go to a gigantor (in comparsion) one?
    10-04-2011 10:09 AM
    On my OG Droid, there's only a teeeennny blank bezel space below the capacative buttons. Sure there's a small lip but that's so out of the way it doesn't even count IMO. I get along fine w/out a giant bezel now, why go to a gigantor (in comparsion) one?
    Lookign at my OGD right now, I see the bottom bezel on the Prime to be on par with the top of the OGD. It is far from anything to get bummed out about. Look at the iPhone's bezel, that thing is f'ing huge and nobody seems to give a crap.
    10-04-2011 10:13 AM
    Lookign at my OGD right now, I see the bottom bezel on the Prime to be on par with the top of the OGD. It is far from anything to get bummed out about. Look at the iPhone's bezel, that thing is f'ing huge and nobody seems to give a crap.
    looking at my nexus s.it more looks like a nexus S with the HW buttons turned OFF.

though id stil love to have that rom/ICS!! if it would look like that on a nexus s
    10-04-2011 10:19 AM
    Yep, I hope it's a fake. Too much wasted space of bottom bezel. I'm thinking it's ICS on a handset other than official Nexus.
    10-04-2011 10:20 AM
    Someone on phone arena did math with pixels...it's a 4.6" screen apparently. Original story on gsm arena updated to say 4.6" as well. This makes me feel much better about it.
    10-04-2011 10:23 AM
    I like it. Maybe it's just because I want a new phone so bad. My OG Droid is limping along.
    10-04-2011 10:23 AM
    Maybe someone could brighten the image in photoshop to see if we can see any physical buttons on the bottom.
    I checked it out, there was no evidence of physical buttons.
    10-04-2011 10:25 AM
    Upside-down photoshopped Nexus S displaying a picture?
    10-04-2011 10:29 AM
    the screen is 1280x720 the other 96 pixels are the buttons at the bottom.
    that would only make sense in landscape mode.

edit: nevermind, brain fart!!!
    10-04-2011 10:30 AM
    Wow, a 720p true HD resolution display, and people are complaining about the bezel. Seriously?
    10-04-2011 10:31 AM
    bottom bezel so large=gesture area, a la palm? it doesnt really make sense but, anything is possible.
    10-04-2011 10:38 AM
    Wow, a 720p true HD resolution display, and people are complaining about the bezel. Seriously?
    Yep. The fact that it's an HD display doesn't dismiss the large bezel. The Vigor doesn't have it and it's an HD display. Am I picky? Darn right. Especially if I'm gonna be living with it for the next two years.
    10-04-2011 10:43 AM
    Yep. The fact that it's an HD display doesn't dismiss the large bezel. The Vigor doesn't have it and it's an HD display. Am I picky? Darn right. Especially if I'm gonna be living with it for the next two years.
    I don't think the bezel is that big. That picture is taken at the perfect angle to maximize the perception of a large bezel. This is much ado about nothing.

My main question about the phone size seems to have been answered. Poor writing in the AC article.
    10-04-2011 10:51 AM
    I don't think the bezel is that big. That picture is taken at the perfect angle to maximize the perception of a large bezel. This is much ado about nothing.

My main question about the phone size seems to have been answered. Poor writing in the AC article.
    Obviously, to each his own on the bezel. And I will definitely check it out in person to see, if in fact this does end up being the Nexus.
    10-04-2011 10:54 AM
    will the bezel stop you guys that have a problem with it from buying the phone?
    10-04-2011 10:54 AM
    will the bezel stop you guys that have a problem with it from buying the phone?
    For me, it's just something else to throw into consideration. It's not the only thing I'll consider. And hopefully, with Verizon, there will finally be some great choices -- Nexus Prime, Vigor, Droid RAZR/HD.
    10-04-2011 10:55 AM
    Fake
    10-04-2011 10:56 AM
144 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD