10-05-2011 11:50 AM
59 123
tools
    I'm sure it will sell a ton, I just think that Google needs to make a compelling argument through smart marketing why Android is a viable alternative to ios in terms of user experience, and hopefully ICS will provide that experience. ios is still much more polished (imo) than android.
    My iPad 1 has plenty of problems. Like losing it's lease on my Wi-Fi and apps crashing. And the memory getting filled up with apps that need to be closed manually. IMO, the 'polish' angle is overblown. BTW, I have a Droid X, Xoom and iPad 1. I use the iPad 1 as much as the Xoom but only because of the apps. Personnally, I prefer Honeycomb over iOS. YMMV.
    10-04-2011 02:24 PM
    it took a year and a half for that!!!!! wtf? fit different parts into the same chassis, major, major, fail.
    10-04-2011 03:00 PM
    Android is already ceazing the opportunity lol.
    10-04-2011 03:04 PM
    yup, i agree with you all. being a current iphone 4 user, the announcement today IMO was a colossal fail!! I'm real anxious to see if the nexus prime is announced next week and if it lives up to the rumors. if so, i'm jumping back in the android ship. ios was a nice change, but i'm feeling the nexus prime and ive got an upgrade burning in my pocket since August!
    10-04-2011 03:31 PM
    I wonder if they did this to try to lure some of the spec-junkies away from Android? More than likely I'm wrong, but it's something to chew on.
    I can't imagine - you think Android spec junkies will be impressed by a phone design that's 1.5 years old? No, they just couldn't execute on the iPhone 5 in time and are now forced to ship a smaller refresh, which is why so much of today's iPhone coverage was on software (especially Siri).

I think they were genuinely caught having to wait for manufacturing of new technology to mature, and now Android has a golden opportunity. This isn't really surprising; what shocks me is that they let expectations get so blown out of proportion the last several weeks rather than tamp it down with their usual WSJ leaks.
    10-04-2011 03:32 PM
    Apple will still sell a buttload of this incremental update. Then when they release the iPhone 5 with very similar internal hardware as the 4S, but with a redesigned form factor and a bigger screen, the Apple drones will wet themselves as they reach for their wallets once again. If a company knows how to dazzle the average consumer while milking their bank accounts behind their backs, it's Apple. These guys know what they're doing and have the marketing muscle to back it up.
    drbugsmn likes this.
    10-04-2011 03:43 PM
    So will the nexus prime have something like siri? or do android phones already have it? I have a palm pre so yeah, just wondering .
    10-04-2011 03:52 PM
    So will the nexus prime have something like siri? or do android phones already have it? I have a palm pre so yeah, just wondering .
    there's vlingo and google voice action commands(Voice Actions for Android), but if you are lookin for something more integrated into android with more options: If you think Apple’s Siri assistant is cool, wait till you see what Google has been working on | Android and Me
    Lucki and drbugsmn like this.
    10-04-2011 04:05 PM
    there's vlingo and google voice action commands(Voice Actions for Android), but if you are lookin for something more integrated into android with more options: If you think Apples Siri assistant is cool, wait till you see what Google has been working on | Android and Me
    Wow sounds awesome! and facial recoginition !! Thanks for the link. I shall wait haha
    10-04-2011 04:11 PM
    Siri will be the feature that all the iPhone fans trump and almost nobody uses outside of showing it off or the first week.
    BrianTufo likes this.
    10-04-2011 04:38 PM
    I can see the voice recognition being very handy when driving in the car (I have a long commute). Otherwise, this is a rather "meh" type of an announcement.

By all accounts, the Nexus Prime may very well gain traction with the masses...if they market it heavily (and if Apple doesn't manage to get it banned through the courts). Anyone know if they manage to get a preliminary injunction against Samsung this month could that potentially include the Prime?
    10-04-2011 04:45 PM
    Why would a satisfied iPhone user switch phones? I don't see it happening. Nothing to see here, move on.
    Wrong pal. I'm a satisfied iPhone 4 user but I also see what has been coming out as far as Android phones and I'm jealous and PISSED at Apple. My iPhone 4 honestly is not much different than the original iPhone I have sitting in my nightstand drawer. Sure its much improved but the experience is largely the same. Same stale OS other than stuff that was recently added that should have been there since the beginning (MMS, custom tones, custom wallpaper, copy & paste, etc etc etc).

I love my iPhone 4 but I have to watch all of these big screened, LTE running, super phones coming out. The Prime sounds like a dream device. If it has all of the things that I am hoping for then I will be moving on. The camera really has been my sticking point with the iPhone 4 but a couple of weeks ago I picked up a Canon ELPH 300 HS and it's so small I carry it around everywhere and forget I have it. I can now choose a phone without having to make sure the camera is the best. SGS II cameras are amazing and I expect nothing less from the Prime.
    BrianTufo likes this.
    10-04-2011 04:53 PM
    lemmings, here is the new phone. this will be the screen size. this will be the feature set and you will like it. period.

lol!! what a joke.
    10-04-2011 04:56 PM
    the rumor mill hyped this announcement up. apple could've built off this opportunity that was freely handed to it by the media, but instead they took the opposite route and dropped the ball. fanboys are going to say that apple never promised us anything, and that the ip5 was all rumors created by anonymous sources. doesnt matter because if apple can't innovate after 1.5 years of working on your top cash cow, and the competition is innovating monthly, apple is to blame, not the media.
    10-04-2011 05:25 PM
    Here's the problem though: Apple is like the Chicago Cubs. No matter what product they put out, they have a disgustingly hypnotized fan base that will willingly hand over their money because that is just what they do. They'll buy the 4S in record amounts, and when the iPhone 5 comes out sometime next year, they'll buy that just as quickly.

Go poke around any site with Apple users - their rabid defense of today's release is amazing. It's like they're incapable of expressing disappointment with Apple. Some of the excuses floating around are just ridiculous - I read one poster that was making the point that this is basically exactly what Apple fan's wanted (except for, I guess, a redesign, bigger screen, LTE, etc.), so there is no need for disappointment.

I know there will be iPhone users who choose to defect, but I just don't see it happening in mass amounts. There are definitely a lot of pissed off Apple fans after today's announcement, but wait and see how many go ahead and preorder later tonight when the adrenaline dies down.
    BrianTufo likes this.
    10-04-2011 06:35 PM
    Here's the problem though: Apple is like the Chicago Cubs. No matter what product they put out, they have a disgustingly hypnotized fan base that will willingly hand over their money because that is just what they do. They'll buy the 4S in record amounts, and when the iPhone 5 comes out sometime next year, they'll buy that just as quickly.

Go poke around any site with Apple users - their rabid defense of today's release is amazing. It's like they're incapable of expressing disappointment with Apple. Some of the excuses floating around are just ridiculous - I read one poster that was making the point that this is basically exactly what Apple fan's wanted (except for, I guess, a redesign, bigger screen, LTE, etc.), so there is no need for disappointment.

I know there will be iPhone users who choose to defect, but I just don't see it happening in mass amounts. There are definitely a lot of pissed off Apple fans after today's announcement, but wait and see how many go ahead and preorder later tonight when the adrenaline dies down.
    Hey man to compare the Cubs to Apple is just a low blow man, low blow lol
    10-04-2011 06:59 PM
    No kidding......the various ways they defend or dismiss the lack of flash is hilarious.

Sent from my Xoom
    10-04-2011 07:14 PM
    I lot of people are pissed about the iphone 4s. some of my friends are die hard apple fans and they are really pissed. They are thinking about joining #teamandroid
    10-04-2011 07:59 PM
    No kidding......the various ways they defend or dismiss the lack of flash is hilarious.

Sent from my Xoom
    Yet apple continues to approve browser apps that have flash built in.
    10-04-2011 08:02 PM
    And Steve Bartman is?
    10-04-2011 08:03 PM
    I was just browsing the TIPB forum and I CAN'T believe how many people aren't getting the 4S and are seriously considering switching platforms and buy either S2 or Nexus Prime. They could just be mad but a blunder like Apple made today would drive me away too. People want choice and hardware that works with their needs Android IS poised to potentially really put a hurt on Apple over the next year. The Nexus Prime will be more important than Google thinks.
    10-04-2011 08:03 PM
    Current iPhone user waiting for the Prime to convert. Any estimates on when it'll be released for AT&T?
    10-04-2011 08:11 PM
    Current iPhone user waiting for the Prime to convert. Any estimates on when it'll be released for AT&T?
    Welcome to Android Central! The latest rumor is October 27th possibly for Verizon but At&t could get it too.
    10-04-2011 08:15 PM
    I was just browsing the TIPB forum and I CAN'T believe how many people aren't getting the 4S and are seriously considering switching platforms and buy either S2 or Nexus Prime. They could just be mad but a blunder like Apple made today would drive me away too. People want choice and hardware that works with their needs Android IS poised to potentially really put a hurt on Apple over the next year. The Nexus Prime will be more important than Google thinks.
    Believe it. My whole family is on Apple gear. I'm typing this from an iPad, use a MacBook pro, and have had every iPhone since launch. But this is pitiful, their idea of 'choice' is ONE model and leftovers. The prime can't come soon enough.
    10-04-2011 08:19 PM
    Yet apple continues to approve browser apps that have flash built in.
    Which fail on so many sites. Especially those like finance.yahoo.com, finance.google.com and just about any interactive financial sites you care to name. I know by experience. I own an ipad and tried everything under the sun.

Sent from my Xoom
    10-04-2011 08:25 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD