The iphone 4S is a big opportunity for Samsung and Android

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
As the iphone 4S is just an incremental update, I think this represents a great opportunity for Samsung and Google to really show off their hardware and software, but only if the make a real effort to show what their OS can do, and not market it with a bunch of BS hollywood special effects. They should show what's different about the Android OS and the cutting edge 720p hardware and dump a lot of money into advertising. There's a lot of disappointed geeks out there today who would consider the Prime if they knew more about it.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I was already leaning toward the Prime anyway but, this news just seals it. I hope it doesn't disappoint.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
iPhone 4s=Motorola Droid X2. Nice phone, but nothing but a refresh. No 4G, same design. I mean there advertising the camera for goodness sake. It's a phone. iOS5 will be out on Oct 12 so i see alot of iPhone 4 users who will be just as happy. They have the same phone basically lol

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree, this is a golden opportunity for Android in general, and the Nexus brand in particular.

The funny thing is that the 4s is a pretty major upgrade...but since it looks the same it will be hard to market to the iPhone user base.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I think I heard a collective WTF after the announcement.

I agree. This is a great opportunity for Android, in general, to take even more of the marketshare. There will always be iPhone fanboys. But, to have such a small incremental update has to disappoint quite a few. Aside from the OS, I also think that the 4G, LTE, WiMax, etc. in other Android phones offer a much faster connection than the iPhone will/does. And they'll keep that market niche for a while now.

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
And I imagine their A5 is still only clocked at 900mhz-1ghz, so they're behind on that front. But regardless, Siri looked pretty god damned cool. If Android copies it, it should have a Cortana avatar.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Why would a satisfied iPhone user switch phones? I don't see it happening. Nothing to see here, move on.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
And I imagine their A5 is still only clocked at 900mhz-1ghz, so they're behind on that front. But regardless, Siri looked pretty god damned cool. If Android copies it, it should have a Cortana avatar.

That would be awesome.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Me too. I am looking forward to ios5 on my ipad and wife's iphone 4, and I actually like the new clock faces on the nano, but android is where it's at.

I'm in the same boat. I'm excited about all the fancy new features coming for my iPad that are already available on my android phone.

I still won't buy an android tablet, though. The OS and market need to mature a bit more. Very excited about the Nexus Prime, though.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Why would a satisfied iPhone user switch phones? I don't see it happening. Nothing to see here, move on.

It's the folks who aren't satisfied or who have never had a smartphone that I'm talking about. Also, you'd be surprised how many people on tipb are considering the prime.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. With Apple and the iPhone, even a smaller type upgrade, like this one should be plenty for them to sell all that they can make. There weren't too many surprises I think. Most of us figured they wouldn't have any LTE. About the only "surprise" was that they stayed with the 3.5" screen. Even that isn't too surprising. Meanwhile, they added:
- a faster processor
- much faster GPU
- better and faster camera
- fairly cool interactive speech assistant

Add in iOS 5 and other fixes (antenna, etc), and trust me, this will still sell like wildfire. So to me the "opportunity" may only be that Apple didn't introduce some crazy new hardware spec (like last year's retina display) that Android devices would then race to meet.

As has been said by some, current iOS users will probably get the 4S I would bet. Just remember it's almost NEVER about specs with Apple and iphone users. It's the user experience that keeps the customers and gets new ones....

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
The thing people forget is that we the geeks of tipb and androidcentral are the vast minority. Most people will buy the phone that has the best marketing, which at this point is the iPhone.

Even among the geeks of the world, many don't know the power of android. I work for a software company, and it blows me away how many tech savvy people have no idea what they are missing with iOS instead of Android. I talked to a couple of my coworkers the other day about Tasker (amazing app if you aren't familiar). They were absolutely floored by what it can do. But the fact remains, they had no idea.

Google/Verizon/Samsung need to generate hype with something other than technical specs. Apple does it right. What I would really like to see happen is for Google and Verizon to dump a ton of money into marketing the Prime, and focus on someone other than geeks. Probably won't happen, though.

I mean, look at the Droid Bionic commercials. It's like they're trying to market to Anime convention attendees.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
IJust remember it's almost NEVER about specs with Apple and iphone users. It's the user experience that keeps the customers and gets new ones....

That's actually going to be Apple's problem this time: this point upgrade appears to the average user to be just about specs (faster processor, faster graphics!). I'm sure they'll still sell a lot, but how much growth they have (i.e. how much market share they cede to Android) prior to the iPhone 5 is going to live and die on how much appeal Siri has.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't know. With Apple and the iPhone, even a smaller type upgrade, like this one should be plenty for them to sell all that they can make. There weren't too many surprises I think. Most of us figured they wouldn't have any LTE. About the only "surprise" was that they stayed with the 3.5" screen. Even that isn't too surprising. Meanwhile, they added:
- a faster processor
- much faster GPU
- better and faster camera
- fairly cool interactive speech assistant

Add in iOS 5 and other fixes (antenna, etc), and trust me, this will still sell like wildfire. So to me the "opportunity" may only be that Apple didn't introduce some crazy new hardware spec (like last year's retina display) that Android devices would then race to meet.

As has been said by some, current iOS users will probably get the 4S I would bet. Just remember it's almost NEVER about specs with Apple and iphone users. It's the user experience that keeps the customers and gets new ones....

Some will but, I have a Iphone 4 and I won't. I probably shouldn't count myself because - while I like the Iphone - I've never been what you would call a fanboy (me being here is evidence of that LOL!!!). I'm seriously thinking about the Bionic now and, the Nexus Prime. This announcement make things a lot easier now.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
That's actually going to be Apple's problem this time: this point upgrade appears to the average user to be just about specs (faster processor, faster graphics!). I'm sure they'll still sell a lot, but how much growth they have (i.e. how much market share they cede to Android) prior to the iPhone 5 is going to live and die on how much appeal Siri has.

I wonder if they did this to try to lure some of the spec-junkies away from Android? More than likely I'm wrong, but it's something to chew on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy