The iphone 4S is a big opportunity for Samsung and Android

rrhartjr

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I think the screen size is the big deal breaker.. even a bump to 3.7" or 4" would have been really nice..

No matter how fast the CPU or GPU, or how good the clarity is.. the 3.5" screen is just limp in 2011.

I wonder if Apple's falling out with Samsung and most of the other screen manufacturers building their own high end Android lines that they're having trouble finding a replacement for the Retina Display.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Some will but, I have a Iphone 4 and I won't. I probably shouldn't count myself because - while I like the Iphone - I've never been what you would call a fanboy (me being here is evidence of that LOL!!!). I'm seriously thinking about the Bionic now and, the Nexus Prime. This announcement make things a lot easier now.

Glad to hear :). Come back to the light :). Yeah, I meant for the normal iOS users, non-geeks (people not on phone forums :) ), none of that matters. I will be shocked if the iPhone 4S doesn't sell 100 million devices.

flashpiti

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear :). Come back to the light :). Yeah, I meant for the normal iOS users, non-geeks (people not on phone forums :) ), none of that matters. I will be shocked if the iPhone 4S doesn't sell 100 million devices.

I'm sure it will sell a ton, I just think that Google needs to make a compelling argument through smart marketing why Android is a viable alternative to ios in terms of user experience, and hopefully ICS will provide that experience. ios is still much more polished (imo) than android.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't know. With Apple and the iPhone, even a smaller type upgrade, like this one should be plenty for them to sell all that they can make. There weren't too many surprises I think. Most of us figured they wouldn't have any LTE. About the only "surprise" was that they stayed with the 3.5" screen. Even that isn't too surprising. Meanwhile, they added:
- a faster processor
- much faster GPU
- better and faster camera
- fairly cool interactive speech assistant

Add in iOS 5 and other fixes (antenna, etc), and trust me, this will still sell like wildfire. So to me the "opportunity" may only be that Apple didn't introduce some crazy new hardware spec (like last year's retina display) that Android devices would then race to meet.

As has been said by some, current iOS users will probably get the 4S I would bet. Just remember it's almost NEVER about specs with Apple and iphone users. It's the user experience that keeps the customers and gets new ones....

The dual core processor is like putting a 350 HP V8 on a VW. The platform is an app launcher and all that power is gonna do is soak the battery.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think the screen size is the big deal breaker.. even a bump to 3.7" or 4" would have been really nice..

No matter how fast the CPU or GPU, or how good the clarity is.. the 3.5" screen is just limp in 2011.

Screen size was the big deal to me, as well as 4G.

I think it will still sell a lot, their are a lot of people who still don't have iphones or still have the 3GS models. Sprint users are probably happy also.

burwil

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure it will sell a ton, I just think that Google needs to make a compelling argument through smart marketing why Android is a viable alternative to ios in terms of user experience, and hopefully ICS will provide that experience. ios is still much more polished (imo) than android.

My iPad 1 has plenty of problems. Like losing it's lease on my Wi-Fi and apps crashing. And the memory getting filled up with apps that need to be closed manually. IMO, the 'polish' angle is overblown. BTW, I have a Droid X, Xoom and iPad 1. I use the iPad 1 as much as the Xoom but only because of the apps. Personnally, I prefer Honeycomb over iOS. YMMV.

rion_j

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
yup, i agree with you all. being a current iphone 4 user, the announcement today IMO was a colossal fail!! I'm real anxious to see if the nexus prime is announced next week and if it lives up to the rumors. if so, i'm jumping back in the android ship. ios was a nice change, but i'm feeling the nexus prime and ive got an upgrade burning in my pocket since August! :)

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if they did this to try to lure some of the spec-junkies away from Android? More than likely I'm wrong, but it's something to chew on.

I can't imagine - you think Android spec junkies will be impressed by a phone design that's 1.5 years old? No, they just couldn't execute on the iPhone 5 in time and are now forced to ship a smaller refresh, which is why so much of today's iPhone coverage was on software (especially Siri).

I think they were genuinely caught having to wait for manufacturing of new technology to mature, and now Android has a golden opportunity. This isn't really surprising; what shocks me is that they let expectations get so blown out of proportion the last several weeks rather than tamp it down with their usual WSJ leaks.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Apple will still sell a buttload of this incremental update. Then when they release the iPhone 5 with very similar internal hardware as the 4S, but with a redesigned form factor and a bigger screen, the Apple drones will wet themselves as they reach for their wallets once again. If a company knows how to dazzle the average consumer while milking their bank accounts behind their backs, it's Apple. These guys know what they're doing and have the marketing muscle to back it up.

Lucki

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
So will the nexus prime have something like siri? or do android phones already have it? I have a palm pre so yeah, just wondering :D.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I can see the voice recognition being very handy when driving in the car (I have a long commute). Otherwise, this is a rather "meh" type of an announcement.

By all accounts, the Nexus Prime may very well gain traction with the masses...if they market it heavily (and if Apple doesn't manage to get it banned through the courts). Anyone know if they manage to get a preliminary injunction against Samsung this month could that potentially include the Prime?

JoJoCal19

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Why would a satisfied iPhone user switch phones? I don't see it happening. Nothing to see here, move on.

Wrong pal. I'm a satisfied iPhone 4 user but I also see what has been coming out as far as Android phones and I'm jealous and PISSED at Apple. My iPhone 4 honestly is not much different than the original iPhone I have sitting in my nightstand drawer. Sure its much improved but the experience is largely the same. Same stale OS other than stuff that was recently added that should have been there since the beginning (MMS, custom tones, custom wallpaper, copy & paste, etc etc etc).

I love my iPhone 4 but I have to watch all of these big screened, LTE running, super phones coming out. The Prime sounds like a dream device. If it has all of the things that I am hoping for then I will be moving on. The camera really has been my sticking point with the iPhone 4 but a couple of weeks ago I picked up a Canon ELPH 300 HS and it's so small I carry it around everywhere and forget I have it. I can now choose a phone without having to make sure the camera is the best. SGS II cameras are amazing and I expect nothing less from the Prime.

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site
lemmings, here is the new phone. this will be the screen size. this will be the feature set and you will like it. period.

lol!! what a joke.

yankdez

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
the rumor mill hyped this announcement up. apple could've built off this opportunity that was freely handed to it by the media, but instead they took the opposite route and dropped the ball. fanboys are going to say that apple never promised us anything, and that the ip5 was all rumors created by anonymous sources. doesnt matter because if apple can't innovate after 1.5 years of working on your top cash cow, and the competition is innovating monthly, apple is to blame, not the media.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Here's the problem though: Apple is like the Chicago Cubs. No matter what product they put out, they have a disgustingly hypnotized fan base that will willingly hand over their money because that is just what they do. They'll buy the 4S in record amounts, and when the iPhone 5 comes out sometime next year, they'll buy that just as quickly.

Go poke around any site with Apple users - their rabid defense of today's release is amazing. It's like they're incapable of expressing disappointment with Apple. Some of the excuses floating around are just ridiculous - I read one poster that was making the point that this is basically exactly what Apple fan's wanted (except for, I guess, a redesign, bigger screen, LTE, etc.), so there is no need for disappointment.

I know there will be iPhone users who choose to defect, but I just don't see it happening in mass amounts. There are definitely a lot of pissed off Apple fans after today's announcement, but wait and see how many go ahead and preorder later tonight when the adrenaline dies down.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish