10-06-2011 05:39 AM
72 123
tools
    Why the hell would they stick an OMAP proc in there instead of the Exynos? That alone might make me forget about it. All I heard from reviewers was how awesome and blazing fast the E4GT was because of the Exynos.

Between the iFail 4S announcement today and you posting that, I don't know WTF to do.
    Yeah, a little disappointing for sure.
    10-04-2011 08:58 PM
    Why the hell would they stick an OMAP proc in there instead of the Exynos? That alone might make me forget about it. All I heard from reviewers was how awesome and blazing fast the E4GT was because of the Exynos.

Between the iFail 4S announcement today and you posting that, I don't know WTF to do.
    Because Google selected OMAP as the reference processor for ICS.
    bill.allrobots.org likes this.
    10-04-2011 09:01 PM
    I'm a VZ customer now but I'll wait for a true Nexus device. I'm sick of VZ's BS, they have to be the 2nd or 3rd most annoying company on the planet.
    I am a current VZW customer too, feeling this. I am sick of Verizon Binging, Bloating, and Slathering RED all over it with V this and V that. Yuck. I hope the dreamers are right, and this Samsung phone comes in under the radar fairly un touched.
    10-04-2011 09:01 PM
    Proves even Google makes mistakes.
    10-04-2011 09:02 PM
    That's what I heard as well.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    10-04-2011 09:03 PM
    Cool. If it releases this month as a hard launch then awesome.

Still I want a "NEXUS" device... it this Samsung Prime turns out to be a Nexus device in disguise then I'm okay with that.

I hope that recently leaked app list from the Prime doesn't change. I liked that there was no bloatwear and I hope that remains the same when it launches.

Anyone else a bit nervous now about this new phone? Samsung Prime eh.......hrm.......

EDIT: Also....it's a replacement for all things, the Samsung Charge? Is this a good thing? I'd like to think that if Verizon had the Galaxy S2, that this phone would be a replacement for that model instead.
    10-04-2011 09:06 PM
    Phil this is the second time you've done this to me, I report on something then a few days later you say it I have this in the thread " release date prediction ".
    You said you think that date cause of the cellebrite info. Phil said he saw a memo with a date. Two different things here.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    10-04-2011 09:07 PM
    Complaining about a 1.5 ghz OMAP 4460 selected by Google? I'm sure it will be fine. If that's enough to move anyone off this phone....damn....you're picky.
    10-04-2011 09:08 PM
    The processor is fine
    10-04-2011 09:10 PM
    Complaining about a 1.5 ghz OMAP 4460 selected by Google? I'm sure it will be fine. If that's enough to move anyone off this phone....damn....you're picky.
    Fine for you. Google is NOT my god, and I don't think they always take the BEST route. Of course the phone will be fine. It will be great! To see a Exynos in there would have just made my goosebumps bigger. Chill, there will never be a phone that has it ALL. Nature of technology.
    10-04-2011 09:15 PM
    Why yes...I am picky. There is plenty of competition out their for my dollars. Apple has let me down big time so the iFail 4S is not an option. I decided to pass on the Vigor due to the lame 16XX mah battery. Yes the battery was enough to pass. I was then looking to the Prime. Going with the OMAP over the Exynos "might" be a deal breaker. I will reserve judgement until I either try the phone or see benchmarks.

All I know is Google might have selected the OMAP proc as reference for ICS, but Samsung makes the Exynos and the Prime hardware so I'd rather go with that combo and know it will work perfect together, as has been seen in the other SGS II devices with the Exynos.

Does anyone have any benchmarks for the OMAP 4460?
    10-04-2011 09:23 PM
    My thoughts exactly. this is actually a good thing in my eyes. it shows that Google has pretty much all the say in the making of this phone. ala no VZ bloatware, and to be honest why would Google let their FIRST "ICS" phone not be a pure experience? Exactly, they wouldnt. . From what i understand Google wants the OMAP due to the 4G LTE. with that being said the rumors of the OMAP not being used due to availability issues could also mean Exynos will be upgraded to match Googles specifications. and with samsung and their Exynos it means game over.

With Apple flopping and going with the 4S, its time for Google and Samsung to slide right in, Advertise this thing to a whole new level.

All i know is that ill be eating an ice cream cone as i open this sucker. i am stoked beyond belief.

Fingers crossed for the announcement in 7 days!
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    10-04-2011 09:27 PM
    I think the OMAP will be fine. Coupled with 1 gig of RAM and a new OS (ICS) that takes advantage of such processing power will probably make for a great user experience.

I'm not worried so much about the processor. I just wan a Nexus device...this new Samsung Prime name has me nervous...and that it's a replacement for the Charge.
    10-04-2011 09:27 PM
    true. Exynos can't do lte. Omap can
    10-04-2011 09:32 PM
    Why yes...I am picky. There is plenty of competition out their for my dollars. Apple has let me down big time so the iFail 4S is not an option. I decided to pass on the Vigor due to the lame 16XX mah battery. Yes the battery was enough to pass. I was then looking to the Prime. Going with the OMAP over the Exynos "might" be a deal breaker. I will reserve judgement until I either try the phone or see benchmarks.

All I know is Google might have selected the OMAP proc as reference for ICS, but Samsung makes the Exynos and the Prime hardware so I'd rather go with that combo and know it will work perfect together, as has been seen in the other SGS II devices with the Exynos.

Does anyone have any benchmarks for the OMAP 4460?
    Everyone should be entitled to their opinion, but honestly I think the performance will be just fine with an OMAP processor, you shouldn't pay too much attention to benchmarks. I understand if you want the latest and greatest, but name something this phone won't be able to do with the OMAP, that the Exynos can do?

I mean if I handed you the Prime with an OMAP processor and told you it was Exynos, without running benchmarks do you think you would be able to tell the difference? Playing HD videos, games, etc.?
    10-04-2011 09:42 PM
    I would love a nexus but i just want the phone lol.
    10-04-2011 09:46 PM
    Thanks Phil!!!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    10-04-2011 09:54 PM
    Everyone should be entitled to their opinion, but honestly I think the performance will be just fine with an OMAP processor, you shouldn't pay too much attention to benchmarks. I understand if you want the latest and greatest, but name something this phone won't be able to do with the OMAP, that the Exynos can do?

I mean if I handed you the Prime with an OMAP processor and told you it was Exynos, without running benchmarks do you think you would be able to tell the difference? Playing HD videos, games, etc.?
    I'm just going off of reviews/tests of the E4GT and other phones with the Exynos and how amazingly fast the phone is. The OMAP might be fine, but just like with most other things being manufactured, if the two parts are all made in house by the same manufacturer, things just work better than slapping in a part from another manufacturer.

Like I said, I will wait to either test myself or read the reviews/tests when it's released.
    10-04-2011 10:00 PM
    So ... Sprint will be getting this ? , or not ?
    10-04-2011 10:05 PM
    So ... Sprint will be getting this ? , or not ?
    Eventually, yes. Absolutely.

One way or the other, they'll get it. No worries.
    Lucki likes this.
    10-04-2011 10:13 PM
    Eventually, yes. Absolutely.

One way or the other, they'll get it. No worries.
    Hope we won't have 2 wait 2 long
    Lucki likes this.
    10-04-2011 10:20 PM
    I had the Bionic, which has the OMAP processor, and it was plenty fast. I played around with the SGSII Epic and it was fast as well. I couldn't tell a difference in speed. They were both the same in regards to real use. The Epic had a better camera, but that has nothing to do with processor.
    Not going off benchmark scores, but actual user experience, they were practically equal in terms of speed.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    10-05-2011 08:00 AM
    I hope it does come to all 4 major US carriers.

VZW, T-Mobile, Sprint and ATT
    Lucki likes this.
    10-05-2011 08:06 AM
    Also, keep in mind they are using the newer OMAP 4460, not the 4430 that is out in the bionic. They wanted to put in a dual core chip that runs at 1.5. Samsung only just revealed the next gen exynos chip clocked at 1.5, so it won't be available in any devices that are coming out soon. That chip probably won't see the market til Q1 of next year. So the decision was made because the next gen OMAP was ready first, it's google's chip of choice for ICS, it behaves well with LTE, and if samsung built the device with that chip in mind i'm sure there won't be any compatibility issues between the TI chip and the other Sammy hardware.

Also if you live and die by benchmarks you are fooling yourself. Benchmarks are not a 100% tell-all whether or not a phone is the top dog or not. If your Quadrant is 100 points higher than mine, but my device handles the user experience better, which would you rather have?
    10-05-2011 12:08 PM
    I thought that the exynos did not have LTE integration, thus it was not capable of being used for Big Red's LTE network.
    10-05-2011 12:57 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD