Should the iPhone 4S be a warning to us?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Comparing Android's voice capabilities (at the present) to Siri is like comparing a Model-T to a Porsche 996.

Siri is more than a Marketing ploy.... its a big step forward from what Android has to offer at the present. I hope ICS offers something similar.

Siri is the first time I have been jealous of an iPhone feature lacking in Android.

themoose615

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Comparing Android's voice capabilities (at the present) to Siri is like comparing a Model-T to a Porsche 996.

Siri is more than a Marketing ploy.... its a big step forward from what Android has to offer at the present. I hope ICS offers something similar.

Siri is the first time I have been jealous of an iPhone feature lacking in Android.

This feature isnt new/revolutionary. It's purely marketing. Apple gives "voice commands" a name, which makes the geniuses? I will say one thing about Apple, they are great at making a product look attractive and selling the crap out of it. Smart. But this feature ISNT that great.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
This feature isnt new/revolutionary. It's purely marketing. Apple gives "voice commands" a name, which makes the geniuses? I will say one thing about Apple, they are great at making a product look attractive and selling the crap out of it. Smart. But this feature ISNT that great.

I have used/compared both... have you? Or are you making just making an assumption?

Siri is great... especially when compared to Android's "voice commands".

Ironically the only thing that is "marketing" ... is your statement, which is most probably based on conjecture and not fact.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

No. It's not just voice commands. What Android has is just voice commands. Siri is like a virtual assistant that you can actually interact with. It's pretty awesome actually. If you check out the real world uses of Siri you'll see for yourself. Apple really has something big going here.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Apple will develop Siri further. Android will attempt to develop their voice commands to keep up, but Apple is a big step ahead. Of course Google has unlimited resources to spend, so they could catch up easily if they have the man power to.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
My thought on any type of voice commands, whether they have a name or not... MORONIC. If someone is using them in a public place like a store or say the subway, I wouldn't be surprised if they get knocked out. It's bad enough having someone yelling on the phone, but to have someone do it when nobody else is on the phone and the phone talks back so everyone can hear? Someone is going to get in trouble because they want to show it off. Quit being stupid and lazy and push a couple of buttons.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

Reactions: oxymoron

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have also used siri. Its far advanced in what android has. Android only seems to be one way communications. Siri is interactive. And its like anything in public. Please use Bluetooth.

T-Bolt using Tapatalk.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
My thought on any type of voice commands, whether they have a name or not... MORONIC. If someone is using them in a public place like a store or say the subway, I wouldn't be surprised if they get knocked out. It's bad enough having someone yelling on the phone, but to have someone do it when nobody else is on the phone and the phone talks back so everyone can hear? Someone is going to get in trouble because they want to show it off. Quit being stupid and lazy and push a couple of buttons.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

I'd use it on my android if it was better. I don't care what you think of me. Sometimes you're one handed or only have a free thumb and can't type.

When you're out in public you have to expect to hear noise. If you want silence, go home.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Guys, This thread was not created to discuss the merits or otherwise of Siri, iOS 5 or the iPhone platform. If that is what you want to do please go start your own thread. For everyone else, a refresher on what this thread is about.

Just a thought you guys. I have been seeing the lamentations of the iPhone fans on tech blogs when it was revealed that after all the rumors, "leaks" and case designs they have had for the last 16 months all they were getting was a spec bumped copy of last years phone and it made me wonder. Are we in danger of expecting too much from the prime. After all, it can't be too much different from other phones released recently specs wise and we have no firm idea what ICS will be like on phones.

I certainly don't want to ruin anyone's buzz or excitement and I am super stoked to see what my next phone can do I'm just wondering if we should tone down or expectations a bit.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I use Vlingo Virtual Assistant and its just as good (& accurate) as Siri. So no, Siri is nothing "new" for Android users. But like the notification bar they claim is "new",. just one more feature Android users have been using for sometime now. Just my 2 cents.... no way knocking the new Iphone.

tap'n

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Guys, This thread was not created to discuss the merits or otherwise of Siri, iOS 5 or the iPhone platform. If that is what you want to do please go start your own thread. For everyone else, a refresher on what this thread is about.

The merits of device features are directly tied to excitement for them and expectation of them.

...... start your own forum. You can start a thread but that doesn't mean you own it.

Last edited by a moderator:

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

have you tried speaktoit assistant app?

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
The merits of device features are directly tied to excitement for them and expectation of them.

If you want to be a thread ****, start your own forum. You can start a thread but that doesn't mean you own it.

The purpose of having separate threads is that you discuss one topic in each thread. I agree that "The merits of device features are directly tied to excitement for them and expectation of them." but what was happening was that this thread was turning into a shouting match about Siri, iOS and iPhone v Android. Incidentally you might want to look up Godwin's law.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
This thread does need to stay on topic. The OP is asking about expectations and if they are too high, not a blow by blow comparison of each and every "new" feature in iOS.

I think expectations are part of what drives manufacturers and developers to push the envelope of what we can do on our devices. If we didn't constantly want more and more out of our devices then manufacturers and companies would stop trying to build in new features and capabilities. So, yes, our expectations are high, but if they weren't manufacturers would stop pushing the envelope with each new release.

Reactions: Hearthatvoiceagain

p3unit32

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Apple and Google are taking two entirely separate approaches with the new iterations of their OS's.

Apple is taking the user-friendly road, as it always has. Starting with the iTouch, they capitalized on the users ability to have an easy-to-use device. It syncs itself, and can be used across several major platforms in the fact that it can be synced to iTunes to transfer music, movies, or apps. You can then use that sync to play those songs on your computer. Then, if you have another iOS device, you can plug that in and sync that one too. It's easy. You just plug and go. When the bar stops loading, everything will work for you perfectly. This logic is being used in Apple's devotion to voice-activated programming in the form of Siri. Siri is going to give users the same ease-of-use that they once had when the iOS just came out and iTunes gave it its exclusivity as the most easy-to-use OS. Sure Siri is going to be far from perfect, and by no means am I an Apple fan. I hate Apple. A lot. But their marketing scheme is always their selling point. People are going to get used to Siri, and use it more often as they have integrated it so well with the OS.

This is where Android parts ways. They did not focus on integrating easier user-interface options with their voice recog. They instead focused on a cleaner, more appealing visual user-interface that the user can touch and interact with. If Apple were smart, they would continue to pour money in to Siri development to further themselves from Android and create a different genre of device. Leave the gadgety, pretty looking devices to Android, and leave the user-friendly devices to Apple. If Apple continues aggressive development on Siri, no doubt will it be the differentiating factor between the two. People aren't buying into Siri itself, they are buying in to the idea of Siri. The idea of not having to open applications or a messaging app to type a message or send a text. The idea that you can control things that were once only controllable with your hands, with your voice. And Apple will recognize this, and they will develop Siri further.

For the record, I own no Apple products besides a 2nd generation iTouch and am an avid Android fanatic. However if you're looking at Apple vs. Google, you need to look at it logically and understand why each company is developing the way that they are.

At least you're post isn't bias, and I agree with your comments here. Each OS has different objectives, and has different styles for accomplishing task. I personally could careless about a name, but I do care about quality.

p3unit32

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
What really makes it hard for people to chose between iOS and Android is lake of knowledge. You have to understand what each is designed to do specifically. Android is more for the tech savvy, while iOS is user friend and built around music and other forms of multimedia.

Plus if your not sure which you want in either OS, you could end up choosing the wrong platform and hating it because it doesn't fit your personality. Obviously neither is really better than the other, or otherwise either or would be in RIMM's situation. Sure each has some features sets that the other doean't, or strengths in certain areas that the other OS isn't as strong.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
This thread does need to stay on topic. The OP is asking about expectations and if they are too high, not a blow by blow comparison of each and every "new" feature in iOS.

I think expectations are part of what drives manufacturers and developers to push the envelope of what we can do on our devices. If we didn't constantly want more and more out of our devices then manufacturers and companies would stop trying to build in new features and capabilities. So, yes, our expectations are high, but if they weren't manufacturers would stop pushing the envelope with each new release.

Well in my opinion it never got derailed. When you want to discuss whether expectations are too high you have to discuss features. Without features, our devices aren't devices at all...they're just hunks of plastic & metal. Heck even those are features. If you don't talk about features, it'll just be a thread with a bunch of yes's and no's. May as well be a poll with an empty, locked thread dangling below.

Second paragraph: agreed 100%. We want more, they give us more. Then we want more again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki