10-06-2011 08:41 PM
115 12345
tools
    So I have a question about the processor, obviously the faster the processor the faster the phone can possibly run. However don't you save batter by having a 1.2 Ghz processor over a 1.5? I'm not sure of that so if I'm wrong sorry. If that is the case then, I'm all for the 1.2 Ghz processor speed as long as the phone's performance doesn't suffer from it.

They wouldn't use a processor that's slower if they new the phone wouldn't be the best it could be, I'm sure with ICS it'll be smooth and great. They would use the 1.5 if it was neccessary.
    10-06-2011 10:32 AM
    The OMAP 4460 is a beast.
    OMAP 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4460

Interesting that it supports camera sensors capable of 20mp captures. Not necessary, but interesting.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    he he, have you read the OMAP 5 series yet? I hope the Prime has the New 4 series, not the ones in the Bionic at 1.2 GHz, nooooooooooo
    10-06-2011 10:35 AM
    It isn't about real world performance, it's about potential. Search your feelings, and you will know this.
    I buy things for their real world performance. And if it weren't for switching carriers I would still be using my single core 1GHz 1st gen snapdragon Nexus One that still has plenty of real world performance
    10-06-2011 10:38 AM
    I buy things for their real world performance. And if it weren't for switching carriers I would still be using my single core 1GHz 1st gen snapdragon Nexus One that still has plenty of real world performance
    I agree with this and the Nexus S having a 1GHz humming bird proc that is still the business is great.
    10-06-2011 10:40 AM
    It's great a vanilla android phone is coming to VZ but why just limit it to one carrier. I don't understand the strategy google.
    10-06-2011 10:45 AM
    Verizon is long overdue for a nexus device

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
    Did everyone crying about "Verizon Exclusivity" miss this? While it may be "exclusive" to Verizon for a bit, no one is saying it won't be released on other carriers. In fact, the latest leak suggests the opposite. Track record notwithstanding, the leak in no way suggests this phone will be "only" a Verizon phone. I agree with the sentiments that it would make little sense if that was the case. All this tells me is that Verizon will get it first. As a Verizon customer longing for the experience I had on my OG Droid, I'm excited for this one. The "underwhelming specs" sound pretty good to me. YMMV,

Bryan
    I'm a little underwhelmed by it all. I know its just speculation but for a phone thats supposed to be the next big thing, its kind of sad to see specs that aren't at the top (besides the screen). I'm sure it'll be a great but just not the best phone available in terms of tech?
    10-06-2011 10:46 AM
    he he, have you read the OMAP 5 series yet? I hope the Prime has the New 4 series, not the ones in the Bionic at 1.2 GHz, nooooooooooo
    The Bionic has the 4430. I'm glad I sent that back. Not because of the processor, just would have wasted my upgrade when all I've ever wanted was a Nexus on Verizon. Didn't you have a Bionic for a little bit, too?

Good phone overall... just couldn't pass up the opportunity to have an LTE Nexus on Verizon. Woooo!! :-D

10-06-2011 10:48 AM
    I'm a little underwhelmed by it all. I know its just speculation but for a phone thats supposed to be the next big thing, its kind of sad to see specs that aren't at the top (besides the screen). I'm sure it'll be a great but just not the best phone available in terms of tech?
    As Johnly said though, optimized. Very important.

I wholeheartedly believe that this will be the best performing handset on the market at release... and for a while. ICS won't make it to other handsets for quite a while. It has to go through the OEMs first, and be tinkered with. I believe the Prime will be out in front of the pack for an extended period or time. My opinion, of course.

10-06-2011 10:55 AM
    The Bionic has the 4430. I'm glad I sent that back. Not because of the processor, just would have wasted my upgrade when all I've ever wanted was a Nexus on Verizon. Didn't you have a Bionic for a little bit, too?

Good phone overall... just couldn't pass up the opportunity to have an LTE Nexus on Verizon. Woooo!! :-D

I really liked the Bionic. I had two of them. I wasn't crazy about the connectivity issues I had with the second one. If I was drenched in LTE, prolly would still have it. But now that that time has come and gone, and with the recent news of the prime being a true nexus, I am happy for this device and verizon costumers. Some things about the device (not going to mention) are going to have me at a pass on this one. Should be killer fun though. I better mention it so people think I am not dissing the phone. My one kid is getting a cell phone and Sprint is just way more friendly to adding lines and data. That is all. The prime is a beast, and I look forward to the Joy it brings those on VZW.
    Im still not sold on the Galaxy Nexus as the name. Panda has been saying #primekills. Im holding out hope that Verizon will call it the prime and the other carriers will call it the Galaxy Nexus.

As for specs.

Wow, are we really getting mad it had a 1.2GHZ DUAL CORE processor compared to a 1.5? If you want it that bd, overclock. But 1.2 will be just a awesome.

32GB of built in storage is CRAZY! lol So im assuming it wont come with a sd card. That's cool. You better believe i still have my Thunderbolts 32GB card. which will give me 64GB TOTAL. Insane.

At 5megapixels this leads me to believe they have put it better optics. If true this phone may have near iphone 4 quality. I'll take that over 8mp anyday.

And that's a pretty nice sized battery. And with stock ICS im fully expecting this phone to last throught the day.

My only question now is is it metal and what will the extended battery look like. Im a very heavy user. lol Still excited.
    Mooem and yiwen615 like this.
    Wow, are we really getting mad it had a 1.2GHZ DUAL CORE processor compared to a 1.5?
    You capitalize dual core as if it's an amazing thing, when quad core is just around the corner.
    10-06-2011 11:00 AM
    Im still not sold on the Galaxy Nexus as the name. Panda has been saying #primekills. Im holding out hope that Verizon will call it the prime and the other carriers will call it the Galaxy Nexus.

And with stock GB im fully expecting this phone to last throught the day.
    Prime could be just a code name but then the VZW version could be labeled a Droid phone...who really knows at this point.

Also, you do mean stock ICS right?
    10-06-2011 11:02 AM
    You capitalize dual core as if it's an amazing thing, when quad core is just around the corner.
    Quad Core isn't the point because we knew it wasn't having that.

The phone was thought to be a 1.5GHZ dc. Instead it's 1.2 I find it hard to believe folks are mad about that. In real world usage the phone will be just as fast.
    10-06-2011 11:04 AM
    Well it still is an amazing thing. I thought quad core for phones won't be ready till early next year? I know we are expecting tablets at the end of this one at least.
    Prime could be just a code name but then the VZW version could be labeled a Droid phone...who really knows at this point.

Also, you do mean stock ICS right?
    nice catch haha right, stock ICS
    Although the media is running with these released specs I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

I do not want a 1.2Ghz TI OMAP 4460 with its outdated and out performed PowerVR GPU. I'm dreaming over the new Exynos 4212 but I know its a serious reach to think it could be in the Nexus Prime.

Also I know MP is just a chunk of the equation, 5MP rear camera? No.

Come on Samsung, do NOT disappoint me.
    10-06-2011 11:07 AM
    I do not want a 1.2Ghz TI OMAP 4460 with its outdated and out performed PowerVR GPU. I'm dreaming over the new Exynos 4212 but I know its a serious reach to think it could be in the Nexus Prime.
    Why going with a TI vs. an inhouse chip? is it because of LTE?
    10-06-2011 11:10 AM
    Although the media is running with these released specs I'm taking it with a grain of salt.

The SGX540 might not be the newest thing on the block, but its a GPU that is well-known and has been strongly optimized for..

ICS is bringing GPU acceleration to the UI and Samsung has done a very good job of that with the Hummingbird SoC (which uses the SGX540)..

It's also clocked much faster than the one in the 4430 and the one in the Hummingbird..

Also, its BGR.. so it's probably completely offbase.
    10-06-2011 11:14 AM
    What about how carriers handled the GS2 release in the states? Each had their own interpretation of the device. Sprint even bumped the screen size out of nowhere.

Anyone else think this could be the same where VZW puts out the stock version first then ATT and Sprint release their revised versions a month or two later? Maybe they bump the camera or processor speed slightly....maybe a battery bump?

Seems like VZW will get the LTE love from the get go but others won't. Maybe that's the exclusive part. ATT gets HSPA+ only.
    10-06-2011 11:14 AM

I'm sorry - maybe I'm missing something - but how is everyone so certain that the TI OMAP 4460, which has not been used in ANY phone yet, to my understanding, is somehow outdated and outperformed?

Yes, we all know the Exynos in the GSII works well with that phone. But do you really think Samsung/Google would plug an OMAP chip into this Nexus if it was going to underperform? I sure don't. This is not the GSII. It's running a brand new OS, on completely different hardware, with LTE. Until any of us get our hands on it with an OMAP, I'm going to reserve any criticsm of the chip seeing as how none of us have used it.
    10-06-2011 11:17 AM
    I'm sorry - maybe I'm missing something - but how is everyone so certain that the TI OMAP 4460, which has not been used in ANY phone yet, to my understanding, is somehow outdated and outperformed?
    I'm sorry, you sound like a rational person with a voice of reason.. I don't think you belong here..

This is a forum for apoplectic freakouts mixed with lots of unfounded speculation taken as cold hard fact.
    10-06-2011 11:19 AM
    And you dismiss dual core as if it's yesterday's news. Quad core might be just around the corner, but the software hasn't even been optimized for dual core yet. I wouldn't get too worked up about these specs at this point. Real world performance is where it's at.
    scotty_pimmpen likes this.
    10-06-2011 11:22 AM
    @rrhartjr...........Awesome!!
    10-06-2011 11:22 AM
115 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD