There will be 2 versions of this phone...apparently (Updated)

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Okay, things are becoming messy quite fast as I'm sure those observing the rumor mill probably expected this.

According to Droid Life, there will be 2 versions of this phone. So...here are the spec lists of each phone.

Info pulled from Droid Life.

Galaxy Nexus (Exclusive for Verizon)
Release: October of this year

Part Number: SCH-I515 (LTE Version)

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
9mm thin
4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
TI OMAP 4460 dual-core Cortex A9 processor clocked at 1.2GHz
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
5-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
1080p HD video capture support
LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
1,750 mAh battery

Nexus Prime (for everyone, but Verizon)
Release: Early next year (Maybe even earlier given it has just passed through the FCC) See "Edit 5" down below.

Part Number: GT-I9250 (GSM Version)

*******now get ready for this...*******

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
9mm thin
4.65-inch 1280 x 720-pixel Super AMOLED HD with curved glass
***Samsung Exynos processor clocked at 1.5Ghz
***PowerVR SGX543MP2 GPU (same as the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S)
1GB of RAM
32GB of built-in storage
***8-megapixel camera on the back, 1.3-megapixel in the front
1080p HD video capture support
LTE/HSPA depending on carrier
Wi-Fi a/b/g/n
NFC
***2,050 mAh battery

First of all....none of this is official and all rumored. They say these specs are coming from anonymous inside tipsters. Take with a big chunk of salt.

Second, I don't know about you, but if those specs turn our legit for the non-Verizon (the Nexus Prime)....well...I will be very disappointed.

Too good to be true? Probably....maybe...?

Nonetheless, I made this new thread to help consolidate all the specs running around. I will edit this first post as I refresh the usual Android sites. Also, because I'm bored.

Sources:

Possible “Nexus Prime” Specs Sneak Out This Afternoon, This Isn’t the Galaxy Nexus (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Samsung Galaxy Nexus Details Leak: Fully Stock Experience and a Verizon Exclusive - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

EDIT: I think the first set of specs are quite underwhelming. I also think the 2nd row of specs are much more deserving of a killer (Prime) phone. We know the Exynos 1.5ghz chip was just announced so the possibility of that even existing in a Verizon Nexus phone is slim considering a release date of October. The whole 5MP vs. 8MP camera is again, arguable...I know early rumors pointed to a 5MP camera with improved low light sensors which would make a big different for sure. So either way, 5MP or 8MP it shouldn't really matter. Battery life...the 1750 sound realistic and the 2050 just sounds like wishful thinking. I can only see such a battery being in this phone if the battery was non-removable.

All rumors pointed to a true Google Experience, Nexus phone coming to Verizon, why on Earth it would be called a Galaxy Nexus and NOT a Nexus Prime is beyond me....and why Verizon would get the short end of the stick specs wise is again, pretty lame. Why they can't just make one badass phone, I have no idea.

Let's debate!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT 2: If there are 2 versions of this phone, it would make sense that the Exynos goes in the other non-verizon units as it doesn't support Verizon's LTE service. That would mean TI OMAP for Verizon and Exynos for non LTE carriers (everybody else). So...this could be legit. A LTE version for Verizon with OK specs....and non-LTE version for everyone else...making up for the lack of LTE with super beefy specs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT 3: So, here's another set of specs...no idea for what carrier this would be, but maybe these are universal specs. Not as detailed as the other spec lists but yea...here you go:

Display: 4.65-inch HD(1280x720) Super AMOLED
Camera: 8 megapixel (flash)/2 megapixel on the front
Battery: 1850 mAh
Value added features: 1.5GHz dual core AP, embedded 16GB memory,
Bluetooth 3.0 HS, WiFi a/b/g/n

Source: General ***Official Nexus Prime Specifications, Speculations and Rumors thread*** (specs/pix 10/6)) - Page 65 - Android Forums

EDIT 4: Even more random specs showing up. Over from the XDA Developer forums someone provides these specs from the "prototype" model. (THANKS user: Phantomash)

1.1280?720 pixels / 4.65" / 315ppi
2.16GB internal storage and 1GB RAM (micro sd extension no supported)
3.The prototype unit was running a dual-core cpu at 1.2....no info if it was the new exynos but he thinks production model will be clocked at 1.5Ghrz like galaxy S2 (the prototype of galaxys2 was running a 1Ghrz CPU)
4. 5MP back campera and 1.3 in front
5.Ice Cream Sandwich is very similar to honeycomb.
6.No metal back cover but instead a plastic one in champagne colour and a little rough like GS2.
7.No info about battery capacity cause they haven't decided yet...
8.Vodafone exclusive in Europe with a November launch...
9.Samsung Galaxy Nexus is the official Name.

Again, unconfirmed stuff, but I thought I'd post it in here anyways.

Linky: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1293124

EDIT 5: ALSO, it would appear that Part Number: GT-I9250 has just passed through the FCC with ATT radio frequencies. This device features NO LTE. (THANKS users: Boondoc for the heads up and Scottatron for the links!)

So I suppose there will be 2 versions of this phone...that is of course if the GT-I9250 is indeed a Nexus or a similar phone with slightly different changes and without the Nexus title. Maybe this phone will have the Exynos 1.5Ghz CPU in it, something that Droid Life hinted at. See the original post way above for the supposed specs of the GT-I9250.

Links for proof: Samsung Nexus Prime (GT-I9250) Passes Through FCC With AT&T/World Bands

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=150400&fcc_id=%27A3LGTI9250

I really hope we don't get a weaker version than whatever the GT-I9250 will be. That would be disappointing.

Anyone have any ideas or opinions on what GT-I9250 might actually be if it's not a Nexus phone or rehashed version of what Verizon is getting?

My hope is that it's just the same hardware but with different radios in it....LTE vs. GSM.

Last edited:

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: There will be 2 versions of this phone...apparently (read on)

Doubt it. There's no such thing as a Galaxy Nexus and there's been leaks of the Samsung Prime name with the SCH-i515 model number. There's just the Nexus Prime.

SCH- i515 = CDMA Prime

GT - I9250 = GSM

I don't understand whats up with some of these blogs. It really isn't a hard concept to wrap your head wrong. They over think things too much. But then again, they might not get as much hits if they only based it on pure physical facts. :p

Last edited:

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Actually Kellex from Droid Life made it seem like there could be two phones...hence the conflicting reports. He wasn't very definitive as to it actually happening, just stating a possibility without really knowing. However, he seemed to be definitive in the "Galaxy Nexus" being out in the wild for Verizon per BGR's report and according to his own trusted sources (that are not anonymous).

Basically, people just need to wait till Tuesday.

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

maybe -

Droid Prime = Verizon

Nexus Prime = Everyone Else

same phone, just different "branding".

PLEASE let them all be released around the same time. hopefully Google learned from Apple's exclusivity mistake.

AND if this is a DEVELOPER phone - why would you not release it for ALL NETWORKS SIMULTANEOUSLY?

how many Developers are on AT&T, Sprint, and T Mobile?

Answer - A LOT!

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

maybe -

Droid Prime = Verizon

Nexus Prime = Everyone Else

same phone, just different "branding".

PLEASE let them all be released around the same time. hopefully Google learned from Apple's exclusivity mistake.

AND if this is a DEVELOPER phone - why would you not release it for ALL NETWORKS SIMULTANEOUSLY?

how many Developers are on AT&T, Sprint, and T Mobile?

Answer - A LOT!

A Nexus is a Nexus, there's no changing it. This is the iPhone of the Android world. It's purely untouched and carriers get little say in the device.

amheck

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I think I'll cry if I have to wait for this phone until 2012.

-non Verizon customer

NEO_FOLLOWER2

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

if this phone isnt released on att sprint and verizon...samsung and google missed a huge chance to get back at apple

CMStewart

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

I think I share the same tune as every other Verizon customer interested in the Nexus Prime. If this is true and Verizon gets the shaft, I'm going to be majorly disappointed.

TRZ06

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site

First off, they can't post specs of the first one (with the OMAP processor) and have it say "LTE/HSPA depending on the carrier", and then turn around and say nevermind that device is just for Verizon. If so then why would it have HSPA support?

I think this is a case of people hearing conflicting reports and so they just start assuming there must be multiple versions of the phone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the Nexus has been the same for all carriers in the past - Google didn't suddenly change the processor, camera, battery, etc when the S was subsequently released on Sprint or AT&T.

masterxchief

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

It doesn't make sense for there to be such big hardware differences between the two phones. Maybe the 2nd set of specs are for a GS3 since that should be coming out in the next 4-6 months in Europe.

mrmoe110

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site

For what it's worth, I read that the CEO's of Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint will be at the Samsung/Google event. No TMobile.....

Reactions: JWellington

sushiglobster

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site

I agree. These damn HW rumors are giving me a headache haha.

I just want one badass device...obviously one version has to have LTE for Verizon, the other version will not have LTE. That's how it should be. One with...one with out. Going from an OMAP to a 1.5ghz Exynos is quite the change there.

Lenerdosy

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

Nexus Prime (for everyone, but Verizon)
Release: Early next year

Damn was hoping for sooner... Might hop onto SGS2 then since I guess its not for sure it'll come to Telus.

oxymoron

It's been real...
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
And if history is an indication of anything, us Verizon people will get the lower end version.

Galaxy S II? Nah, Droid Charge!

Superpowered 1.5Ghz Nexus Prime? Better make it 1.2! :D

That does seem to be the MO with Verizon, unfortunately.

I tell you what, if they do that again and this is a reality.... I will leave VZW. I have never said that before. I actually made fun of people "threatening" to leave VZW if "this" or "that" didn't happen. I feel it now.

All I've EVER wanted since the N1 is a Nexus on VZW. They got my hopes up then. I even attempted to order it directly from Google. Didn't happen.

Who am I kidding.... I'll throw a virtual eHissy fit on the interwebs and take it like the little biznatch that I am. So self demeaning and shameful.

Why the EFF do we always get the sub-par hardware!!!!???? WTF!!?? Seriously flipping annoying.

Okay, I'm done with my little whine fest. Nothing to see here. Move on.

*customized tapatalk signature*

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

Rumors, rumors, rumors. All we can do is wait. Sounds unlikely, seeing how the whole point of a Nexus device is unification/openness/etc.....why make two phones? And why shaft VZW on processor?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Both sets of specs make me happy. This is silly and picking nits IMO. I do have a great idea though:

How about we watch the event Tuesday and know for sure ? :D

Reactions: oxymoron

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12