nexus prime vid is up again better hurry up

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know about that. We don't really know until the announcement what's what. But if true, between the apparently persistent top search block and a (perhaps persistent) bottom soft button row, it seems like we would be losing 3/4" or more of total height. I mean, my Fascinate now is 4" and that would have more usable screen space than this if this is correct. Am I missing something here?

Yeah I think so. I mean, the extra search bar at the top isn't taking up a extra row of icons or anything, you're still getting a 4x4 space. The buttons at the bottom are maybe eating up a tiny bit of space, but remember, the nice thing about software buttons is that they can go away when you want to use the whole 4.6 inches- like when you're web browsing or looking a pics or video. The search bar, from what we've seen, is only present on the home screens. The browser will likely have a search icon in the url bar or, hey, maybe they'll add it to the soft buttons at the bottom. I mean, again, they're software buttons - they can do whatever they want with them.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes. sensors are better. But i do wonder. With 8mp being the standard for basically the year, why couldn't they have released a 8mp shooter with a better sensor?

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Yes. sensors are better. But i do wonder. With 8mp being the standard for basically the year, why couldn't they have released a 8mp shooter with a better sensor?

Because the fewer pixels you put on a tiny sensor, the better your overall image quality can be. That's why Apple stuck with 5 on the old iphone - they went for quality first and it showed. They must have worked some magic to keep the quality on that camera while boosting up to 8mp.

Example, my 8mp camera on my old Evo 4g was WAY worse than the 5mp iphone 4's camera.

But in the end, let's please just wait to see the pics from this camera before we get too pissed off about it. It could very likely blow everything we've seen so far from smart phones out of the water.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I think so. I mean, the extra search bar at the top isn't taking up a extra row of icons or anything, you're still getting a 4x4 space. The buttons at the bottom are maybe eating up a tiny bit of space, but remember, the nice thing about software buttons is that they can go away when you want to use the whole 4.6 inches- like when you're web browsing or looking a pics or video. The search bar, from what we've seen, is only present on the home screens. The browser will likely have a search icon in the url bar or, hey, maybe they'll add it to the soft buttons at the bottom. I mean, again, they're software buttons - they can do whatever they want with them.

I see your point in regard to space while you are in an app. I guess a revised description of how it might work would be :
(1) On the home screens we lose maybe 3/4" height with the persistent search at the top and soft keys at the bottom
(2) Inside apps, we lose "only" 3/8" maybe or so of screen height from the persistent bottom soft keys. But with this "benefit" we have no search ability inside apps (except for the browser URL bar as you point out).

I am looking for the benefit here, just having trouble seeing it..

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Because the fewer pixels you put on a tiny sensor, the better your overall image quality can be. That's why Apple stuck with 5 on the old iphone - they went for quality first and it showed. They must have worked some magic to keep the quality on that camera while boosting up to 8mp.

Example, my 8mp camera on my old Evo 4g was WAY worse than the 5mp iphone 4's camera.

But in the end, let's please just wait to see the pics from this camera before we get too pissed off about it. It could very likely blow everything we've seen so far from smart phones out of the water.

+1. Very true.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

Im not pissed. Like i said before i'll take a 5mp with a good sensor over a 8 any day. Im just curious because we've been hearing about camera advancement in phones. Could they not have made a 8mp with a good sensor to have the camera be even better? This is a literal question and not a shot at google. I literally know jack squat about camera lenses lol. Excuse my ignorance.

BitGambit

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to the android world, but I was checking out the screen caps and the all appear to be 450x800.. Shouldn't the screen caps be at 720 res?

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Im not pissed. Like i said before i'll take a 5mp with a good sensor over a 8 any day. Im just curious because we've been hearing about camera advancement in phones. Could they not have made a 8mp with a good sensor to have the camera be even better? This is a literal question and not a shot at google. I literally know jack squat about camera lenses lol. Excuse my ignorance.

You're right, there's no reason to go with 5, since all other high end devices have 8, unless they were able to make something truly special with a 5mp shooter that they couldn't translate to 8mp. So, since it seems like such a boneheaded choice to go with 5, I'll make the assumption that this is gonna be some kinda 5mp camera.

Sorry, everyone else on this forum seems to by hyperventilating about unconfirmed specs. Didn't mean to lump you in with them.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
You're right, there's no reason to go with 5, since all other high end devices have 8, unless they were able to make something truly special with a 5mp shooter that they couldn't translate to 8mp. So, since it seems like such a boneheaded choice to go with 5, I'll make the assumption that this is gonna be some kinda 5mp camera.

Sorry, everyone else on this forum seems to by hyperventilating about unconfirmed specs. Didn't mean to lump you in with them.

It's cool. It gets irritating when a minor unconfirmed spec leaks and all of a sudden the world is coming to an end. This is gonna be a great phone and like ou said. I think if there gonna use 5 over 8 it must be because the camera is gonna be trul awesome and they couldn't do the same with 8.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I see your point in regard to space while you are in an app. I guess a revised description of how it might work would be :
(1) On the home screens we lose maybe 3/4" height with the persistent search at the top and soft keys at the bottom
(2) Inside apps, we lose "only" 3/8" maybe or so of screen height from the persistent bottom soft keys. But with this "benefit" we have no search ability inside apps (except for the browser URL bar as you point out).

I am looking for the benefit here, just having trouble seeing it..

Yeah I'm not sure it will be advantageous in all situations. But like I said, I think they could easily add a search button to the soft buttons at the bottom that just appears when you need it. There's definitely room.

Plus, look at the honeycomb browser. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can go full screen and hide the soft buttons, thus using the whole 10.1 inches. Same thing on a phone.

I really like the idea of flexible, hide-able soft buttons. But we haven't seen the full implementation so they may be more of a drawback than an advantage. We'll know soon! (soon-ish)

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't know about that. We don't really know until the announcement what's what. But if true, between the apparently persistent top search block and a (perhaps persistent) bottom soft button row, it seems like we would be losing 3/4" or more of total height. I mean, my Fascinate now is 4" and that would have more usable screen space than this if this is correct. Am I missing something here?

Not to mention the huge redundant dock.

koolkid09

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I don't really like the software buttons. Hope Google will allow companies to choose virtual buttons or hardware buttons based on screen size. On a Nexus S that would make the screen feel to small.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I'm not sure it will be advantageous in all situations. But like I said, I think they could easily add a search button to the soft buttons at the bottom that just appears when you need it. There's definitely room.

Plus, look at the honeycomb browser. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can go full screen and hide the soft buttons, thus using the whole 10.1 inches. Same thing on a phone.

I really like the idea of flexible, hide-able soft buttons. But we haven't seen the full implementation so they may be more of a drawback than an advantage. We'll know soon! (soon-ish)
I hope you're right and it's all good. Maybe the SDK will allow app developers to make changes to the soft buttons, who knows. I'll just hope for the best.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I hope you're right and it's all good. Maybe the SDK will allow app developers to make changes to the soft buttons, who knows. I'll just hope for the best.

have you played with Honeycomb? even now there's already app that can hide the soft button bar (although root access is required). This paired with any other app gives you a full screen view, which is pretty amazing on a tablet.

Also I'm pretty sure the soft buttons will be mod-able consider how Sense and TouchWiz element are all implemented into the soft button bar as well.

The way I see it, the potential on ICS for custom developers here are pretty huge.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
have you played with Honeycomb? even now there's already app that can hide the soft button bar (although root access is required). This paired with any other app gives you a full screen view, which is pretty amazing on a tablet.

Also I'm pretty sure the soft buttons will be mod-able consider how Sense and TouchWiz element are all implemented into the soft button bar as well.

The way I see it, the potential on ICS for custom developers here are pretty huge.

I have the XOOM. I love this type of UI there. On a tablet. Where there is room for it. On a phone, there just isn't on a phone IMO. I don't want to have to root my phone and download an app just so I can see the whole screen just like I already can now, before ICS, do you?

Edit: I'm probably making too big a deal out of it. I think I am going to refrain from posting much more about it until I have it in hand and see how usable the UI actually is.

Last edited:

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I have the XOOM. I love this type of UI there. On a tablet. Where there is room for it. On a phone, there just isn't on a phone IMO. I don't want to have to root my phone and download an app just so I can see the whole screen just like I already can now, before ICS, do you?

Edit: I'm probably making too big a deal out of it. I think I am going to refrain from posting much more about it until I have it in hand and see how usable the UI actually is.

You're not losing any space. If it weren't software buttons that space where the software buttons are would just be taken up by capacitive buttons. And software buttons look cooler and can be dynamic.

Lucki

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
How can it be the prime? the power button is on the left ?:eek: just saying. but overall I do not like the software buttons :(

Poopai

Banned
Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
How can it be the prime? the power button is on the left ?:eek: just saying. but overall I do not like the software buttons :(

When he turns the phone off his pointer finger is on the exact spot where the photo shows the power button to be. It might just look like he turned it off on the left.

Margucci

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
has it occured to anyone that the aspect ratios of the two screen sizes that we are used to are different?

Nexus S:
800/480=1.66666666666666666666666666666666666.....

Prime:
1280/720=1.777777777777777777777777777777777.....

with respect to the width the height of the prime is more than the nexus S. this means that you can have software buttons which are located in the extra 0.111111111111 of the rato (ie . 142 pixels). this works out to be a height of 0.45 (actually it isnt..... did the calc wrong should be more like 1/3" sorry about that) inches for the soft buttons which having the same aspect ratio of the nexus S.

in conclusion.... the sky isnt falling

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca