10-25-2011 05:26 AM
64 123
tools
    All of the above

+ The curved screen. It's completely awesome.
    10-08-2011 11:01 PM
    Main selling point to me is the design and ICS. The galaxy note is a more ideal phone to me, but I don't want to pay 1000 dollars for it. The Note pretty much has everything the nexus has and then some. It has higher resolution, bigger screen, bigger battery, faster stock cpu(based on rumored specs), stylus, and it will receive ICS. Also if the rumors about touchwiz 5 for ICS are true(less integration for faster updates) then I won't miss the main perk of having a nexus.
    10-08-2011 11:33 PM
    1) Speed: if it's anything like the Bionic, it will rock with no hiccups while moving between apps
    2) Screen size
    3) Hopefully a good camera
    4) ICS and updates

Kath
    10-08-2011 11:35 PM
    ice cream sandwich and the stock experience.
    Sounds like a band name.
    10-09-2011 12:02 AM
    I'm excited that Verizon is finally getting a 1.2Ghz Dual Core, LTE, Nexus, with a 4.65" screen made by Samsung and running Ice Cream Sandwich.

Have fun waiting for 1.5Ghz, because something faster will come out after that.
    MetalPhoenix79 and hmackenz like this.
    10-09-2011 12:43 AM
    I want it because it's made by Samsung and it will have the most awesomest of screenage

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
    10-09-2011 01:05 AM
    The Nexus will be one of two (or maybe three) dual core LTE phones in the U.S. It should have the best overall camera (speed, picture quality, maybe even lens quality, but not theoretical resolution) of any Android phone. It won't have any bloatware or a poor UI skin to slow it down. It will finally bring a fully multi-threaded and hardware-accelerated OS to Android (and be the only phone with it for months). It will allow Google Wallet out of the box. It will have *by far* the best screen when it ships. It will get the latest and greatest updates first for a long time. And on top of all that it has a sexy and distinctive design with (apparently) Samsung's first metal chassis.

The only thing that could be a deal breaker for me is if its LTE battery life isn't better than what we've seen so far on the Bionic. I expect to be able to make it through to the evening before I have to charge a phone, and if I can't I'll probably hold off for a phone with a chipset based on a 28nm process. But with dual cores, better GPU utilization in the UI, and a fully multi-threaded OS we should see enough efficiency gains to get us there I think.
    10-09-2011 11:09 AM
    The main selling point for me is that it is the sweetest, most respectful phone that will eventually (maybe) be available.

To me that means a lot...
    10-09-2011 11:45 AM
    The Nexus will be one of two (or maybe three) dual core LTE phones in the U.S. It should have the best overall camera (speed, picture quality, maybe even lens quality, but not theoretical resolution) of any Android phone. It won't have any bloatware or a poor UI skin to slow it down. It will finally bring a fully multi-threaded and hardware-accelerated OS to Android (and be the only phone with it for months). It will allow Google Wallet out of the box. It will have *by far* the best screen when it ships. It will get the latest and greatest updates first for a long time. And on top of all that it has a sexy and distinctive design with (apparently) Samsung's first metal chassis.

The only thing that could be a deal breaker for me is if its LTE battery life isn't better than what we've seen so far on the Bionic. I expect to be able to make it through to the evening before I have to charge a phone, and if I can't I'll probably hold off for a phone with a chipset based on a 28nm process. But with dual cores, better GPU utilization in the UI, and a fully multi-threaded OS we should see enough efficiency gains to get us there I think.
    This is one of the best responses I have seen so far on this thread. The one thing I will point out about it is that it's unlikely the Prime will have a metal chassis. Every source leaking details about the Prime right now are leaking that it is a plastic chassis colored to look like metal.
    10-09-2011 12:10 PM
    The one thing I will point out about it is that it's unlikely the Prime will have a metal chassis. Every source leaking details about the Prime right now are leaking that it is a plastic chassis colored to look like metal.
    Yeah, I've noticed that. Not sure if it's just because they are prototypes, or if the earlier rumors were just wrong. I'm not opposed to plastic for plastic's sake, so as long as the build quality feels premium I won't hate on it based on the number of protons and neutrons on the atoms in its chassis
    Margucci, coreymcl and Bearly like this.
    10-09-2011 01:19 PM
    They had me at stock Android and LTE...
    10-09-2011 01:23 PM
    I guess not many people here care about NFC, but that's my #1 selling point. It's apparently a similar form factor to my X which is just about right for me. The fact that it's a Nexus on VZW is nice, but realistically I don't see that much difference between CM7 on a Nexus and CM7 on a Droid X (that, of course, will never be rooted because of the eFuse let alone get a custom ROM ). LTE is another nice-to-have, but frankly 3G speeds are fine for most of what I do and there's WiFi for everything else.

Really it's NFC that looks like the killer feature to me. There are already plans for NFC door locks. An NFC reader for my PC can replace a password, and of course there's Google Wallet since my physical wallet gets left at home a lot more than my phone. NFC is still in its infancy but the idea of secure highly local authentications has an incredible amount of potential.
    10-09-2011 03:26 PM
    Really it's NFC that looks like the killer feature to me. There are already plans for NFC door locks. An NFC reader for my PC can replace a password, and of course there's Google Wallet since my physical wallet gets left at home a lot more than my phone. NFC is still in its infancy but the idea of secure highly local authentications has an incredible amount of potential.
    While I think NFC is a huge plus I don't think I would call it a killer feature. I know Google is really trying to push NFC technology with Google Wallet and those Google Maps pinpoints they passed out.. I dont think I will use it much. I don't see a ton of retailers outfitting their registers with NFC, and I dont think they will until the iPhone 5/6 comes out and really makes an NFC push. 3/4/5 years from now I think it will be big... car doors and ignition, house locks, payments, ect... but i dont think it will truly take off until Apple adopts it.
    10-09-2011 03:33 PM
    I don't care if it's plastic or not. Plastic doesn't affect performance. Gimmie a plastic well built, well functioning phone any day over a metal slow, buggy phone. Plus I think plastic would hold up much better to metal.
    10-09-2011 03:45 PM
    Pure Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, Curved glass (renderings look amazing IMO), better camera (at least better optics), 4g LTE, dual core processor, Samsung screen. Assuming the rumors are true.
    10-09-2011 10:23 PM
    I really really hope it has led notifications... The charge doesn't and that still peeves me!
    10-10-2011 12:05 PM
    I hear lotsa folks crooning over the SGS2. Granted it's a super phone, but when you've experienced 25+ mbps download speed on vzw's lte network it's no comparison.

So it's all the cool features everyone has mentioned along with vzw's lte.

Sent from my SCH-I510
    10-10-2011 01:50 PM
    720p screen (as if the other SAMOLEDs weren't killer enough), brand new OS, unique design.

I could care less what GHz it is. I just wish it were Exynos. Exynos 1.2 GHz would have been fine. Maybe Samsung will continue their tendency to have like 50 different variations of each phone.
    10-10-2011 08:28 PM
    I like that the ICS OS is hardware accelerated, now we can actually use both cores of the "dual-core" CPUs. This should theoretically save batteries because the CPU will not be working as hard or as long. 720p and the exterior design of the Prime also are great selling points.
    10-10-2011 10:16 PM
    So Samsung makes good phone nowadays? I remember years ago I had a few Samsung flip and slide phones, and the call quality was horrible, the build not so good either.
    10-10-2011 11:35 PM
    So Samsung makes good phone nowadays? I remember years ago I had a few Samsung flip and slide phones, and the call quality was horrible, the build not so good either.
    um, Android has basically propelled Samsung to great success, over a year time Samsung has improved from a second rated phone manufacturer to being one of the best.

Mobile Choice UK has just announced their Phone of the Year 2011, guess which phone it is? Galaxy SII. 2010 being HTC Desire. You can see the contrast from here.
    10-11-2011 04:50 AM
    Yeah, I've noticed that. Not sure if it's just because they are prototypes, or if the earlier rumors were just wrong. I'm not opposed to plastic for plastic's sake, so as long as the build quality feels premium I won't hate on it based on the number of protons and neutrons on the atoms in its chassis
    If it was metal the signal would be less than ideal. The metal would act like a Faraday cage (from what I've read about cell phone chassis design).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    10-11-2011 05:44 AM
    I don't know... Motorola arguably has the best call quality/signal strength, on a consistent basis. They also typically have some type of metal frame on their recent phones. I think it has more to do with antenna design than anything else. I know that the OG Droid and Droid X have had the best call quality of any smartphone that I have personally owned. I have had HTC, Samsung, and Motorola.

My opinion, but that's been my experience anyway.

It does make complete sense that metal would interfere with the antenna. It has to. I guess it's the software enhancements/algorithms that Moto uses that make the difference?

http://forums.androidcentral.com/e?l...token=zT82ofGS

Really looking forward to this Galaxy Nexus though! !! Wooooo!!!! :-D

*customized tapatalk signature*
    10-11-2011 07:57 AM
    I have a bionic and want this phone, I am just waiting to hear about the battery because if it's worse then my bionic, I'm going to pass.
    10-11-2011 08:11 AM
    Since when is a duel core 1.2Ghz processor and a 720p screen "very modest"?

You guys are either seriously hard to please or just down right unrealistic in your expectations.
    I'll give you the screen, but the processor doesn't mean anything. I just leave this here.

It is going to depend on how ICS handles the hardware. Gingerbread and Honeycomb aren't doing it yet.

So in other words I get tired of the specs wars and want it to end. We shouldn't care what processor we are running or which one is coming next, we should care that the apps and the OS are optimized to run on the hardware we do have.
    giograves likes this.
    10-11-2011 02:55 PM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD