10-25-2011 05:26 AM
64 123
tools
    Well, I think the selling point is that you are going to have the latest device with the latest OS no other devices will have for a while. People are buying iPhone 4S probably not because of the specs, but the fact that it is the "latest". It comes with some things other iPhone users won't have. How useful those news things are to them is irrelevant. They would be buying them even more if they'd changed the design of the phone instead of what's inside and called it iPhone 5.
    10-11-2011 03:18 PM
    Well, I think the selling point is that you are going to have the latest device with the latest OS no other devices will have for a while. People are buying iPhone 4S probably not because of the specs, but the fact that it is the "latest". It comes with some things other iPhone users won't have. How useful those news things are to them is irrelevant. They would be buying them even more if they'd changed the design of the phone instead of what's inside and called it iPhone 5.
    This I can fully get behind. I have bought so many devices just because it was the latest and at the single moment in time "the greatest". Most of these turned out to be crap. (Thundebolt I am talking to you!) But there were a few good ones in there.
    10-11-2011 03:47 PM
    The reason I want one is because its a phone that will have an os that simulates my tablet more (Honeycomb). So yeah, OS mostly.
    10-11-2011 04:14 PM
    Pure Android, contact charging, and large battery. That being said, I would gladly take a single core, 3g phone with an updated camera for improved battery life. By improved battery life I'm wanting to have something that lasts me 12+ hours with moderate to heavy usage. A smaller screen would be nice as well. I may have to pass if the 4.6" screen is unweildly though.
    10-11-2011 04:26 PM
    Stock android
    10-12-2011 11:04 AM
    I agree with th0r615
    10-12-2011 11:38 AM
    If it was metal the signal would be less than ideal. The metal would act like a Faraday cage (from what I've read about cell phone chassis design).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    Depends where the antennae are, what the metal is made of, dimensions, etc. You're right though that a lack of care with metal bodies can lead to wave interference.
    10-12-2011 12:48 PM
    I like that the ICS OS is hardware accelerated, now we can actually use both cores of the "dual-core" CPUs. This should theoretically save batteries because the CPU will not be working as hard or as long. 720p and the exterior design of the Prime also are great selling points.
    Just to clarify: the hardware acceleration means the GPU (the graphics processor) does most of the work to render the UI, it has nothing to do with utilizing the dual core CPU. ICS being fully multi-threaded is what would let the OS take advantage of both processing cores. But you're right that both should increase battery life (hopefully offsetting the larger screen size and the LTE radio).
    10-12-2011 12:51 PM
    It's got a bigger than normal stock battery, so it should offset the 4G LTE radio a little bit as well as handle that massive screen display being on. Once custom kernels come out for this to improve battery life, this thing is going to be a monster. Stock Android running ICS with a multi-threading supported dual-core with UI hardware acceleration is enough to make me stay up at night.
    10-14-2011 03:45 AM
    The selling point will be that i wont have to disable blockbuster updates from boot up.
    10-14-2011 04:22 AM
    So, will wifi tethering be available on the prime? It is pure google, but it is also VZ.
    10-15-2011 07:28 PM
    So, will wifi tethering be available on the prime? It is pure google, but it is also VZ.
    thousands of VZW customers have root and wifi right now, not sure why you wouldnt be able to with this phone.
    10-15-2011 07:40 PM
    I would be scared to wifi tether now, in fear of losing my unlimited data
    10-24-2011 11:19 PM
    There's a difference between being able to do it (which you certainly will) and being able to do it legally (which you can for $20/month). With unlimited data the extra fee makes sense, with the new metered plans I don't understand Verizon's rationale. +meth68 has a very good point, get busted stealing tethering and you're almost certainly going to lose unlimited data at a minimum, plus the chances of backcharges or even theft of service criminal proceedings and the risk far outweighs the reward - especially when you can turn on/off the tethering plan on a whim if you only use it once or twice a month.
    10-25-2011 05:26 AM
64 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD