10-10-2011 12:03 PM
27 12
tools
    Haha...

Well I was just watching 60 Minutes and they went to commercial. In between commercials they some times do a 30 second news cap.

The fake/fan render was displayed and the news anchor said that the "Nexus Prime announcement was delayed in respect of Steve Jobs."

They called it the "Nexus Prime"

I've never seen something like this before, about a device which hasn't launched or is still under NDA due to no official announcement. Also, the fact that a news outlet on TV mind you said something.

Pretty weird, it might put in to perspective that this phone will be a HUGE launch then.

Anyone else catch this on the news during 60 minutes?

I took a picture of the it:

Lucki likes this.
    10-09-2011 09:22 PM
    Wow, that's pretty funny. IF Google plays it's card right, they could have a huge success on their hands. Or, they could let Verizon and Samsung screw things up like I have a feeling they may...
    10-09-2011 09:36 PM
    And they had to use the ugliest fan render made.
    10-09-2011 09:47 PM
    I like that render.
    10-09-2011 09:53 PM
    You know, I wonder if Google, Verizon, and Samsung will be upset about this little news blip. I mean, the thing is still not officially announced, it was called the Nexus Prime ...which it may not even be called once it's announced (Samsung Galaxy Nexus). They also used an unofficial fan rendering.

I don't think the companies will be happy about this and how it was represented.
    10-09-2011 09:55 PM
    That's really random. I wasn't aware people outside these sites knew about the phone!
    10-09-2011 10:00 PM
    Free commercial spot on 60 minutes - I bet Google couldn't be happier. And I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't at least partially intentional.

Sent from my Google Nexus S
    JRZLocal likes this.
    10-09-2011 10:01 PM
    You know, I wonder if Google, Verizon, and Samsung will be upset about this little news blip. I mean, the thing is still not officially announced, it was called the Nexus Prime ...which it may not even be called once it's announced (Samsung Galaxy Nexus). They also used an unofficial fan rendering.

I don't think the companies will be happy about this and how it was represented.
    Google, Verizon, and Samsung can't be mad about their own doing! Sorry I find it hard to believe a huge, and reputable news machine such as 60 mins would not only talk about an unannounced phone but post a picture of it as well with out verifying something from at least one of the three companies. Sounds like some marketing going on here.
    10-09-2011 10:05 PM
    Google, Verizon, and Samsung can't be mad about their own doing! Sorry I find it hard to believe a huge, and reputable news machine such as 60 mins would not only talk about an unannounced phone but post a picture of it as well with out verifying something from at least one of the three companies. Sounds like some marketing going on here.
    Yea, possibly some marketing. Why use a fans render as an image when could have just used something else and NOT call it anything other than just "a new phone?"
    10-09-2011 10:08 PM
    the passing of Steve Jobs + slow news day = Google rumors on the news

ejaymd11 likes this.
    10-09-2011 10:09 PM
    Samsung and Google cancel Tuesday's announcement.

Provide subtle announcement about a new product on national television instead.
    10-09-2011 10:16 PM
    Yea, possibly some marketing. Why use a fans render as an image when could have just used something else and NOT call it anything other than just "a new phone?"
    Who said it was a fans rendering? ;-)
    10-09-2011 10:19 PM
    Who said it was a fans rendering? ;-)
    I thought it was already decided that this was a fan rendering. Not sure who said it, but that's the general opinion throughout the blogsphere so far.
    10-09-2011 10:30 PM
    10-09-2011 11:04 PM
    Cool. Made it to front page.
    10-09-2011 11:15 PM
    Great news for the artist.

Add to resume...

Featured contributor on CBS news.
    10-09-2011 11:17 PM
    I thought it was already decided that this was a fan rendering. Not sure who said it, but that's the general opinion throughout the blogsphere so far.
    Yeah I know it was, I was playing devil's advocate. Like google couldn't set up the whole "fan rendering" thing also.
    10-10-2011 12:14 AM
    Yeah I know it was, I was playing devil's advocate. Like google couldn't set up the whole "fan rendering" thing also.
    Oh haha, okay got ya.
    10-10-2011 12:26 AM
    BBC News - Samsung Nexus Prime smartphone delay is 'Jobs tribute'

Also, for what it's worth, the BBC made mention of the same delayed announcement. They too called it the Nexus Prime and that it was to be unveiled on October 11th.
    10-10-2011 05:46 AM
    Render aside I can't believe this made the news. Perhaps someone at Google pulled some strings? Either way, a lot more people will know about this device when it's announced than would have know if they carried on with the announcement tomorrow.
    ejaymd11 likes this.
    10-10-2011 06:20 AM
    Was reported this morning on Good Morning America as well - didn't use this render though...
    MetalPhoenix79 likes this.
    10-10-2011 08:21 AM
    This is kind of a double edged sword. It allows people who might not have known otherwise that there's going to be a new Google superphone. At the same time it says it's delayed, so those same people might just decide to get what ever the latest and greatest is, which is probably the ip4S. That thing has already had over a million units preordered -- crazy.
    10-10-2011 08:27 AM
    Good PR move. Makes the company look like it has a heart and still sneaks by with an announcement.
    10-10-2011 08:27 AM
    Its on Digital Spy as well, although they also posted this which I haven't seen anywhere else?

Samsung's Nexus Prime will be the first commercially available smartphone running Google's latest Android operating system, known as Ice Cream Sandwich.

The universal OS will introduce a range of new features to smartphones and tablets running Android, including face-tracking and camera focus-changing based on voice recognition.
    Is this new info? I apologise if not?
    10-10-2011 09:34 AM
    Maybe Google hand picked the rendering closest to the real thing without showing the real device. I fully expect the actual device to look very similar to this rendering.
    10-10-2011 09:48 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD