Am I the only one sick of Samsung taking over Nexus?

nvelez

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Please hear me out before flaming...

1st Nexus was made by HTC specifically to Google's designs and requests. HTC made a pure Google phone with Google and Android at center stage as the main attraction. The had their company name branded on the device but the font was much smaller than Google's and placed at the bottom of the phone. Even the phone's announcement happened in a pure Google event.

2nd Nexus was made by Samsung. Allegedly Samsung refused to accept the Nexus 2 name because they couldn't handle being number 2 behind anyone. They went with Nexus S as the name which coincidentally goes nicely with their Galaxy S line. They used a bigger font for their branding but that's just nitpicking on my part. The branding is still at the bottom so its no big deal.

3rd Nexus devices will again be made by Samsung. Samsung appears to be taking a major role in the release of this phone to the point where there are actually rumors that Samsung will basically take the Nexus moniker and name it the Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

I understand that Google is going with Samsung because they manufacture the Super AMOLED screens. It makes sense for Google to go with the best screens. Especially after the embarrassment of having to switch to the super LCD screens on later Nexus Ones because of the AMOLED shortage.

My beef is that Google should require the Nexus phones be strictly and purely about Google and Android.

I still have both my N1 and NS so its not that I'm a Samsung hater. I just love Nexus and the concept behind it.

Reactions: LAhanger

wyseguy77

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Look at the success of the Galaxy S line. Wouldn't you like to ride on that wave? It's all about money my friend. The next Nexus will make a lot more because if the Galaxy branding whether you like it or not. And google knows it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My beef is that Google should require the Nexus phones be strictly and purely about Google and Android.

They are, but Google was not in the business of phone hardware when those two phones came out. Someone had to manufacture them.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

nvelez

Oct 23, 2010
Visit site
Look at the success of the Galaxy S line. Wouldn't you like to ride on that wave? It's all about money my friend. The next Nexus will make a lot more because if the Galaxy branding whether you like it or not. And google knows it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Honestly I'm not much of a wave rider. If I wanted the same thing everyone else had I'd own an iPhone. Personally I like to be ahead of the curve... Hows that for borrowing a tagline ;)

I totally understand what you're saying though but I just never saw the Nexus line of phones as attempts of getting paid for Google. I saw them as "developer phones" sporting the latest and greatest software and hardware.

I just thought the Nexus line wasn't going for the me too crowd.
Or maybe I'm romanticizing the idea and concept of Nexus a bit too much. I'm buying it either way so in the wise words of ManBearPig618, "Meh".

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I totally understand what you're saying though but I just never saw the Nexus line of phones as attempts of getting paid for Google. I saw them as "developer phones" sporting the latest and greatest software and hardware.

Whether directly or indirectly, the purpose of the Nexus line is to make money. It's a very good thing that companies are in the business of making money - it means better products for us :)

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
As I have said in other threads this is to do with the way that Google selects a manufacturer for the nexus phones. Around xmas they take bids from any oem who is interested. They then decide which of these bids offers the best hardware. They work with the winner to ensure maximum compatability between the hardware and the new version of android. Samsung have a huge advantage in this process as they make chips rather than buy them off someone else. I this means they can be working on putting them into phones before other OEMs even know they exist.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy sells. They only way to get Android out there to show the average person why they should choose Android, and how much better it is, is to sell it. What better way to sell it than to associate it with something that has sold very well? I think next year we may see it with Motorola, and at that point who knows it might be the Droid Nexus on Verizon then. Once the Nexus name gets out with Verizon you release it to everyone else. I think they are doing the same thing here. Let one big carrier market it for the others, by then people can't wait for it to come to their network. I think that works much better than releasing it to everyone at the same time. Google needs to pimp out Samsung, and Verizon to get Android front and center, and I think they are doing that.

mngdew

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Other than Samsung, which companies out there can do all? (manufacture cpu, memory, design & make phones) To Google, Samsung is the best partner, just like it was to Apple.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I would rather HTC be building all the nexus's either that or give other android device makers a chance at making the next nexus.

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
My only concern is the it will fell all cheap and plasticy like the Fascinate did. I have not held a Galaxy 2 S but I have held the Nexus S and it has the same crappy feel....:mad:

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
My only concern is the it will fell all cheap and plasticy like the Fascinate did. I have not held a Galaxy 2 S but I have held the Nexus S and it has the same crappy feel....:mad:

That may new true, but the good thing is that it will be thin, light, super fast, screen will be awesome, and durable.

sent from my EPIC TOUCH 4G, GALAXY SII

xAGx#AC

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I hope HTC does get the next Nexus device.

I generally dont like Samsung's plasticy feeling devices. Ive never really even considered Samsung in my android phone purchases. I just dont like TouchWiz, and while their devices are thin, I would much rather have a device that didnt feel like it could snap in half super easily and prefer a bit of weight to them.

The Prime is the first Samsung built device Im considering actually. And thats mainly because of ICS out of the gate, the screen size sounds interesting (but thats obviously not any manufacturer exclusive spec,) and the possible battery. And I heard the rumor that it could have some metal on its casing, which would be very nice.

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Don't manufactures submit a prototype for the Nexus selection? Maybe the reason Samsung has been picked 2 times in a row is because their submission is just plain better. Maybe HTC, Moto, LG, Sharp, etc should take this more seriously.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly I'm not much of a wave rider. If I wanted the same thing everyone else had I'd own an iPhone. Personally I like to be ahead of the curve... Hows that for borrowing a tagline ;)

I just thought the Nexus line wasn't going for the me too crowd.
Or maybe I'm romanticizing the idea and concept of Nexus a bit too much. I'm buying it either way so in the wise words of ManBearPig618, "Meh".

Umm, isn't Samsung ahead of the curve?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy