Is there any chance to get CDMA and GSM in one phone?

th0r615

god of thunder.
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Probably not. We've been hearing for a while that its going to be 2 versions (CDMA and GSM) and with the GSM hitting the FCC last week it all but confirms that.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I can hope. I can beg and plead, as well. I can also offer to buy it off contract if they come out with a global version. But I can also assume that my hopes will be dashed...

I really wish VZW would learn that all flagship phones need to be GSM-enabled, until then I've got my D2G to keep me company overseas. With any luck the Apple effect will slap a GSM radio in the next generation. Like their tagline reads, "Apple, we don't invent anything but at least we make everyone offer the features that are currently found only in a small number of phones."

zomac

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
If it was a world phone then I would buy it in a heartbeat. Im happy with my current phone and have been telling myself that my next phone needs to be a world phone. But more than likely I will still get it unless we get some crazy unexpected bad news in the coming weeks.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I really wish VZW would learn that all flagship phones need to be GSM-enabled, until then I've got my D2G to keep me company overseas. With any luck the Apple effect will slap a GSM radio in the next generation. Like their tagline reads, "Apple, we don't invent anything but at least we make everyone offer the features that are currently found only in a small number of phones."

Exactly! I had to go back to my BB Tour over the summer for a trip to Europe and it was downright painful!! They also need to improve the rates on their international plans. ATT has great deals on international rates and data amounts now. Thumbs down for Verizon on both accounts!

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The BB "Tour" was a world phone. CDMA and GSM. However, the CDMA part was locked down to your local carrier (say for example Verizon) while the GSM/Sim card allowed you to go international and just buy "local" sim cards. From my understanding though, it would still be "locked" to the CDMA provider that sold it, as is the case with pretty much every CDMA device I've heard of. And from my experience with CDMA phones, you cannot take a CDMA phone from one provider to another. It is dang near impossible to get it done and still have full function. (for example I checked to see if could take a CDMA blackberry from my provider and transfer it to another provider. Result? 3hrs on hold, 2 techs, and end result? Both providers would have to agree to it (not gonna happen) and even if I did get both to agree, once the BB was released from its origonal carrier and hooked up with a different CDMA carrier -- I'd have voice and texting abilities but no data. And no way to change that unless I stayed with the origonal carrier.

Now, I realize BB is not Android, but I think in this case it's more about the carrier then about the device. Hope this helped...

Adrynalyne

Account Deactivated
Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
It isn't going to happen.

Main reason: LTE requires its own SIM and is not compatible with GSM SIMs. There are no dual SIM design phones in the US.

The only soc that will make this more of a reality will be Krait, and that won't be seen until well into next year.

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
The Blackberry Bold 9650 (world phone) came unlocked out of the box with Sprint. I could technically get mine working with AT&T or T-Mobile but I wouldn't get 3G speeds. Best would be 2G.

So yes, it is possible but I seriously doubt there would be a LTE phone capable of this in the near future. Maybe eventually, but not anytime soon.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I am sure it is possible but the cost is high then most would want to pay

Huh? I think you missed some punctuation or a few letters there. ;)

I'd gladly pay a premium for a flagship android world phone even though I'm only out of the country 1-2x/year. Although at the moment Verizon's international rate plans are absolutely horrid and expensive compared to ATT, pretty much to the point that its too expensive to bring an Android or iPhone overseas anyway. I had no problems with my Blackberry though because it simply can't do anything near as much.

mildtoo

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
HTC imagio. its a windows phone though.- originally a verizon phone but when unlocked, a t-mobile sim / AT&T sim would work. just switch the option in the menu settings else, you'll get connected to verizon's helpdesk.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1