Bionic vs Galaxy Nexus Prime

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to pick up one or the other. I'm leaning toward the Nexus for obvious reasons, better screen, ics, better camera. However from some of the renderings the nexus looks very fragile I know its way to soon to say that but the fragileness looks inherent in its design. If you have something that is slightly curved then accidentally set something flat on it whether it be a book or just forced flat in your pocket its bond to bend at the very least probably break. And considering how thin its supposed to be.

Motorola products on the other hand at least from my experience have always been tanks. Even when I just think of some of my friends that have old Android phones they are always Motorola. I own a Motorola Xoom and it feels near mil spec.

Aside from televisions I don't have any experience with Samsung and I'm not exactly stumbling around drunk with that in my pocket so durability there is a mute point.

How do you guys feel about the durability of the Bionic vs current Samsung devices? I feel like I should just be careful with it because I think I'd be loosing out on a few things that are important to me (vanilla android, better screen, etc etc)

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Bionic vs Galaxy Nexus Prime Whatever

IHowever from some of the renderings the nexus looks very fragile I know its way to soon to say that but the fragileness looks inherent in its design.

It's difficult to speculate about a phone that no one has seen yet.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Not to sway you one way or the other, but even doing a spec comparison, the Nexus Prime seemingly blows away the Bionic. Besides the fact that a Nexus Prime should be a google experience phone vs the Bionic that is saddled with MotoBlur. Personally, I'm all about the stock android experience.

My Samsung Fascinate had a great display and was a great little phone after the dev community got a hold of it. Fortunately or Un, I don't drop my phones so I can't speak to the durability. However I've had an OG droid, Fascinate, and now Droid X and just by feel I would agree with your assessment that Moto phones feel well designed(for abuse).

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

It's difficult to speculate about a phone that no one has seen yet.

Very true. But humor me. Lets assume it looks like the phone in the Google + Samsung ad video and that 60 minute commercial.

More curious about passed devices from each manufacture though.

Like I mentioned I have a Xoom which is a GED so pure Honeycomb. So a Gingerbread + motoblur is the biggest thing that makes me want to wait for the Nexus. But on the other hand the main reason I went with the Xoom was because it felt much more durable then the Galaxy Tab 10.1.

Hmm, maybe I'll just get the insurance.

trenchkato

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I walked into the Verizon store with all the intentions in the world of getting the Bionic... until i saw the screen... Maybe I am just one of the 2% of people who can see every bit of the cross hatch pattern on the pentile screen.... no matter how far i hold the phone away from my eyes.. how much i squint.. the screen on my 179$ Samsung Boost mobile previal wins...

I Digress... the nexus Will be worth the little wait... what is 1-2 more months to someone who has been waining on the bionic for 9 months

deV14nt

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

"Tank"/"Brick"...it's all in the terminology.

But seriously, if I wanted to throw a phone through a window, the Droid Bionic would be it.

kath00

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

Had the Bionic for 14 days. I did NOT see the screen grid on mine (but saw it on my friend's Bionic so I have a feeling that on some Bionic devices it is more visible than others).

That said the phone would randomly reboot or just crash, requiring a battery pull. It happened to me 5 times in a 14 day period, including twice in the first 3-4 days when I had not had a chance to install much in the way of apps on it.

The camera SUCKs on the Bionic. No sweet talking around this one. Worst phone camera I have ever seen. I have lots of test pix to prove it. As someone who likes to travel light and to snap pix of the kids around town, I found this a huge disappointment. Anything outside of super bright sunlight meant the pix were blurry and grainy and totally washed out. This even after buying an app to try to optimize it.

The hissssing coming out of the ear phones made it almost useless for listening to music. Reported on the moto forums and they are working on a fix but nothing yet....

Sooooo, I can only say one thing in regards to the Bionic: SAVE YOUR MONEY for some other device because it is simply not a good phone at this point. Maybe in 4 months when Moto works around these bugs, it will be great. But for $300 and a few more weeks of patience, you will have many more choices so that you don't have to put up with the Bionic's issues.

As for comparing it to the Nexus Prime -- that is pretty useless right now since the specs are still just rumors and not a single person has handled the phone, even in demo form. Plus it's going to have ICS.

Katherine

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

I had the Bionic for a week or so and returned it to Verizon. Do yourself a favor and don't waste an upgrade on that thing. It's trash in my opinion, and Motoblur is absolutely AWFUL. Just stick it out for another month like we all are and get the Nexus. Trust me I'd love to use my upgrade right now since I'm using an original Incredible (but then again Verizon has no good phones offered IMO). CM7.1 being released last night has made my Incredible refreshed a little I guess you could say. Without CyanogenMod I'd go crazy with this phone!

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site

Had the Bionic for 14 days. I did NOT see the screen grid on mine (but saw it on my friend's Bionic so I have a feeling that on some Bionic devices it is more visible than others).

That said the phone would randomly reboot or just crash, requiring a battery pull. It happened to me 5 times in a 14 day period, including twice in the first 3-4 days when I had not had a chance to install much in the way of apps on it.

The camera SUCKs on the Bionic. No sweet talking around this one. Worst phone camera I have ever seen. I have lots of test pix to prove it. As someone who likes to travel light and to snap pix of the kids around town, I found this a huge disappointment. Anything outside of super bright sunlight meant the pix were blurry and grainy and totally washed out. This even after buying an app to try to optimize it.

The hissssing coming out of the ear phones made it almost useless for listening to music. Reported on the moto forums and they are working on a fix but nothing yet....

Sooooo, I can only say one thing in regards to the Bionic: SAVE YOUR MONEY for some other device because it is simply not a good phone at this point. Maybe in 4 months when Moto works around these bugs, it will be great. But for $300 and a few more weeks of patience, you will have many more choices so that you don't have to put up with the Bionic's issues.

As for comparing it to the Nexus Prime -- that is pretty useless right now since the specs are still just rumors and not a single person has handled the phone, even in demo form. Plus it's going to have ICS.

Katherine

I also can attest to most of the issues listed above. As far as the pentile being less noticeable on other Bionics, its probably the different back rounds people have on their phones. Certain pictures with more solid colors will show the pentile alot more then others will.

Regarding the comparison between the 2, The Bionic is a Tank, Not Droid 1 Tank, But its close. If your DYING for a phone and need one ASAP, the Bionic will be a good choice since it is the best LTE phone on the market right now. The planned November update should also fix these major issues.

If your coasting with a decent phone, I would strongly suggest waiting a few weeks to see what pans with the Nexus.

Best case you end up happy with the nexus. Worst case you end up getting an updated Bionic around the same time that should work fine.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Don't forget the Droid RAZR which is turning out to be a potentially good phone. If you must have that Moto build quality then that might be the one to wait for...

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site

I do like the build quality on my Bionic. The nexus phone will be better not doubt because it's pure Google. I had a nexus S and, it did feel lite but, not cheap.

Your choice depends on what you do most with the phone. I don't take a lot of pictures but, use my phone for business. From my experience so far, the Bionic is one of the best actual phones I've had. The calls are clear and, the bluetooth works better than any phone I've had. I agree the camera is not the best unless your in a lighted area, it's not horrible but coming from a Iphone, it's not that good.

We don't no much about the Nexus Prime but, if it's anything like the Nexus S you will like it. One of the things I liked about the Nexus S is how fast it was and how everything synced nicely. The Bionic does this for me also. I actually like the Motoblur because it make the phone transactions smooth.

I may or may not get the nexus prime. If I do, it won't be until after it's been released for awhile. I want to see some videos of it and, what accessories will be offered. One of the things I love about the Bionic is the nice accessories it comes with. When I had the Nexus One, it had some nice accessories, the car dock - to this date - was the best I've ever seen and, the Bionic is close. The Nexus S had no accessories and, that was a PITA for me. In my business, it's nice to have at least a car dock when I'm traveling and using Google navigation.

I've only had the Bionic for a week and, only had issues when I installed Go-Launcher EX. I removed the app and, everything has been fine so far. All phones have issues & bugs. When this phone is released, I'm sure there will be threads about them on here.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site

Don't forget the Droid RAZR which is turning out to be a potentially good phone. If you must have that Moto build quality then that might be the one to wait for...

This is what I think the comparison should shift to for those that are waiting. I think with the RAZR coming, probably within the next month or so, that it should push the Bionic out of the equation. To me, those thinking about the Bionic vs. the Nexus should probably shift their thinking to the RAZR vs. the Nexus. Especially since the wait will at least be a few weeks anyway until the Nexus is released.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to wait and probably get it a week after it comes out so I can read the reviews...

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

The only thing I'm thinking about is the curve to the phone. Seems like it would feel weird inside a pocket. I'm still planning on buying it but was thinking about that yesterday.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I thought about that too. It seems a bit too big to be in your pocket sideways to fit the contour of your leg. I'll probably go with a ruggid case and belt clip....hate to do it but I'll have to lug it around for a bit to see what works. Apparently me buying a cell phone is going to be like buying shoes as I'm walking around in the store to see if its a good fit or not...

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

I thought about that too. It seems a bit too big to be in your pocket sideways to fit the contour of your leg. I'll probably go with a ruggid case and belt clip....hate to do it but I'll have to lug it around for a bit to see what works. Apparently me buying a cell phone is going to be like buying shoes as I'm walking around in the store to see if its a good fit or not...

"Is that your Nexus or are you just glad to see me?"

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site

The only thing I'm thinking about is the curve to the phone. Seems like it would feel weird inside a pocket. I'm still planning on buying it but was thinking about that yesterday.

It could be designed for the front shirt pocket and a man boob...just saying