Mobile Hotspot Question

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
How will the mobile hotspot work on the Nexus Prime? My understanding is that the Prime will offer a pure Google experience that has not been altered by Verizon. I further understand that the WiFi hotspot is baked into the OS. As a point of historical reference, how has the hotspot worked on the Nexus 1 and Nexus S? It is probably safe to assume the hotspot will work the same on the Nexus Prime. I just cannot see any carrier allowing free hotspot access, even if the feature is baked in to the OS. Please share thoughts.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

koolbon

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I bought unlocked Nexus one at full price the feature is not restricted in anyway. It would only be limited by the type of data plan you have I guess. I believe all the subsidized phones are restricted by the carriers and cost you extra to use the feature.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
If vzw you'll still pay and I bet there will b the hotspot app. Just because pure google don't expect vzw to roll over

koolbon

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's an absolute BS that carriers restrict the hotspot feature. It's a feature of a device and not a service from carriers. We already pay for the service and data usage. It's ridiculous to pay extra to use a feature of the device you buy.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
It's an absolute BS that carriers restrict the hotspot feature. It's a feature of a device and not a service from carriers. We already pay for the service and data usage. It's ridiculous to pay extra to use a feature of the device you buy.

Yes it's double dipping that is for sure but nothing we can do about it really.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
But your not paying to share your data only to be used in your device. Not outside of device

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Its a feature in honeycomb I've only used once on my Motorola xoom which like the nexus is a GED. When I get home I'll play with it some more but the one time I used it I never received a higher bill or anything. I didn't even know things like that weren't allowed. It is baked into the honeycomb os btw at least on the xoom.

koolbon

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
But your not paying to share your data only to be used in your device. Not outside of device

So, it is ok to download a video clip via your device, then send it to someone else's device using your device, but it is not ok to use your device so the person can download directly to his device?
They don't even have unlimited data plans anymore, so it really doesn't make sense not to allow it.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
That is correct. Life sucks they own the data they make the rules. We can break them but like a speeder you'll evintally get caught.
So, it is ok to download a video clip via your device, then send it to someone else's device using your device, but it is not ok to use your device so the person can download directly to his device?
They don't even have unlimited data plans anymore, so it really doesn't make sense not to allow it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC