10-15-2011 02:01 PM
79 1234
tools
    Google and samsung are at the mercy of verizon

Sent from my Incredible 2
    10-12-2011 05:33 PM
    Everything is just speculation now. Google may have had to compromise to get their flagship phone on the best lte network. Given verizon's track record I don't trust them to allow vanilla. They have the ultimate say on what goes in their phones.

The Xoom was Google's tablet on Verizon and its free of bloatware. As long as its a GED we should be safe.

Verizon has a lot of pull with LTE but they also have a lot to lose if Google went with a different provider.
    10-12-2011 05:39 PM
    Huh? Everyone in the know has said that Verizon will be getting this phone before any other U.S. carrier. Have you even been keeping up with the news? I know there have been a lot of crazy rumors about this phone, but pretty much everyone agrees that it's coming to Verizon first, hence, no bloat or skin.
    Maybe I'm wrong.

We'll know soon enough. They'll either get the prime with or without some bloat, or we'll start seeing delay after delay. I hope it gets released. I don't really care about the prime or a pure google experience, I just want ICS to get out there and I do think google is committed to bringing it to the world via this phone.
    10-12-2011 05:40 PM
    Some of you guys are pretty funny...it's not like the "pure" google experience is going to make you invisible or function as a jet pack. I say add on all the bloat you want. It just makes more money for verizon which means more services offered, more towers erected and more development to whatever 5G will bring. If you don't like the bloat, don't use it. Or better yet, root and delete it. It's not like it ruins your phone.
    10-12-2011 05:48 PM
    LOL this thread is so redic. You guys should really back up and look at what some people are saying here. Like I said in some of my earlier posts, I don't care if you believe me or not so go ahead waste your time trolling over bloat and touchwiz that's not there. And this phone is without a doubt coming to Verizon. Nuff said.............
    ManBearPig618 likes this.
    10-12-2011 06:27 PM
    LOL this thread is so redic. You guys should really back up and look at what some people are saying here. Like I said in some of my earlier posts, I don't care if you believe me or not so go ahead waste your time trolling over bloat and touchwiz that's not there. And this phone is without a doubt coming to Verizon. Nuff said.............
    Lol we're having fun, dude. I saw that article and *GASP* thought it would be a good discussion, and obviously it is. This is a forum to talk about things. You know for a "fact" what is coming out, right? Good for you. Those of us who don't have neighbors who work at Google get to speculate all we want.

Anyone else too high and mighty for this thread?

Anyways, we understand what a Nexus device truly is. We are just getting a bad feeling that Verizon won't actually let a real Nexus on their network. But, if P3Droid's system dump is to be believed, then there will be no bloatware on it. It's been so long since I've had a stock device, I'm getting so excited!
    10-12-2011 06:45 PM
    if it's a NEXUS, it won't be skinned.
    10-12-2011 06:49 PM
    Google and samsung are at the mercy of verizon

No.

*customized tapatalk signature*
    10-12-2011 07:13 PM
    I'm just glad that we have such wicked authorities here like you. I hope that you spread your omniscience among all the other phone sections so we'll no longer need to speculate on devices that haven't been released yet. We can stop wondering about everything now.
    10-12-2011 08:41 PM
    If the name doesn't include nexus.
    10-12-2011 09:10 PM
    I think Google and Samsung delayed the announcement just so they could provoke and laugh at threads like this. Cheers
    kath00 likes this.
    10-12-2011 09:36 PM
    I love all this chatter about something we know absolutely nothing about! Gotta admit it's entertaining. Pretty much what happens before any hot phone gets released. The Tbolt, charge, bionic were similar before they got dropped, although this prime device is generating alot more buzz than most.

Carry On ppl :-P

Sent from my SCH-I510 soon to be primed
    10-13-2011 12:48 AM
    I think this thread has hit on the real reason behind the postponement at the CTIA meeting this week. Google, Samsung and Verizon can't come to an agreement on making this phone with no Samsung/Verizon blur...and they're not going to. Verizon makes too much money off of the blur and doesn't give a hoot about a "pure" Google experience.

EDIT: Bloat/blur/skin...I understand the difference, but got tired of typing. Sorry.
    10-13-2011 10:37 AM
    I think this thread has hit on the real reason behind the postponement at the CTIA meeting this week. Google, Samsung and Verizon can't come to an agreement on making this phone with no Samsung/Verizon blur...and they're not going to. Verizon makes too much money off of the blur and doesn't give a hoot about a "pure" Google experience.
    Verizon blur?
    10-13-2011 10:43 AM
    Verizon blur?
    It must be that newfangled MotoTouchSense skin.
    10-13-2011 11:14 AM
    Something's blurred all right.

Don't think it's the phone though.
    oxymoron likes this.
    10-13-2011 11:36 AM
    It must be that newfangled MotoTouchSense skin.
    I don't know... I think it may be SenseWizBlur.
    10-13-2011 12:16 PM
    Blur is Motos skin lol, but yea I think greydarrah is right. Maybe they postponed the announcement because Google and Verizon are probably in a debate on wether to allow bloat/skin or not. Verizon has nothing to gain from a pure vanilla phone unless they can use it for marketing purpose, and can make more money from that than they do off of the advertisers that add bloat. Verizon can easily change the name from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Charge 2 or something. Only us tech people really care about Vanilla. 80% of the public doesn't care or even know there is bloat there.

Edit...if there was actually overlay that combined touchwiz and blur I think it would destroy android lol.

BTW anyone ever use a Fascinate or Captivate? Worst phones ever. I don't have faith in Samsung.
    10-13-2011 12:18 PM
    Blur is Motos skin, but yea I think greydarrah is right. Maybe they postponed the announcement because Google and Verizon are probably in a debate on wether to allow bloat/skin or not. Verizon has nothing to gain from a pure vanilla phone unless they can use it for marketing purpose, and can make more money from that then from they do off of the advertisers that add bloat. Verizon can easily change the name from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Charge 2 or something. Only us tech people really care about Vanilla. 80% of the public doesn't care or even know there is bloat there.
    Not unless they are going to downgrade it to GB or delay the launch and all signs so far point to neither one of those things happening. ICS will not be on a phone before the Nexus.
    10-13-2011 12:20 PM
    Blur is Motos skin lol, but yea I think greydarrah is right. Maybe they postponed the announcement because Google and Verizon are probably in a debate on wether to allow bloat/skin or not. Verizon has nothing to gain from a pure vanilla phone unless they can use it for marketing purpose, and can make more money from that then from they do off of the advertisers that add bloat. Verizon can easily change the name from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Charge 2 or something. Only us tech people really care about Vanilla. 80% of the public doesn't care or even know there is bloat there.

Edit...if there was actually overlay that combined touchwiz and blur I think it would destroy android lol.
    Can we get a few things straight. There's a difference between bloat and skins. Verizon doesn't care about the skin. That's a manufacturer thing. Bloat is software pre-loaded on the phone that can't be removed.
    10-13-2011 12:22 PM
    Yes I know the difference between bloat and skin/overlay. I was just making a general point that Verizon make more money off of Samsung (Overlay) and third party companies (bloat) than they do off of people buying Vanilla devices. But Google is pretty powerful, hopefully they threw enough money at Verizon to keep this thing Vanilla.
    10-13-2011 12:25 PM
    Yes I know the difference between bloat and skin/overlay. I was just making a general point that Verizon make more money off of Samsung (Overlay) and third party companies (bloat) than they do off of people buying Vanilla devices. But Google is pretty powerful, hopefully they threw enough money at Verizon to keep this thing Vanilla.
    Please explain how Verizon makes more money off of carrying a phone with a Samsung "overlay" (TouchWiz) than a phone without it.
    Chad McRad likes this.
    10-13-2011 03:00 PM
    Please explain how Verizon makes more money off of carrying a phone with a Samsung "overlay" (TouchWiz) than a phone without it.
    Samsung can promote there brand or look, through Verizon. If every Android phone was vanilla there wouldnt be much to differentiate Samsung from other manufacturers. Verizon then has to go through a process to approve the software overlay. This is an extra cost which I am sure Verizon charges a premium for. Where as stock android is more universal and less testing is needed on Verizon's part. I could be wrong but it seems like this is how it would be.

Or you could be right. It costs Verizon less in testing to put out a vanilla device. But they would loose money from the third partys that put their bloat apps on phones...so they would be taking a chance that vanilla (or plain to the average consumer) would be a good selling point.

10-13-2011 04:28 PM
    Maybe Verizon will view it as a test. Put the basic OS on there and then see if they can encourage people to download their additional services. I have no problem if Verizon includes all of their crapware on a phone when I get it to help reduce my cost as a consumer. As long as I can easily (non-rooted) uninstall it. It's the stupidity of the NASCAR (Sprint) or VCast Video (Verizon) apps that I just don't want. Put something useful on there and I might use it and keep it. The worthless apps should just be deleted with an option to re-download them from the Market.

As for skins, I disagree with some of the purists. Stock Android, up to 2.3 at least, is boring. Some of the skins like HTC Sense or the newer Samsung Touchwiz add some flavor to a bland dessert. I won't talk about the atrocity that is Moto Blur, but even they're making strides in the newer versions. However, it should abide by the same rules as bloatware apps. I should be able to easily replace the skinning with another of my choice. If I don't want Touchwiz, I shouldn't be stuck with it. Let the manufactures include those to differentiate themselves, but let me replace it if I don't like it. Only power users will ever really do that so why should they care?
    10-13-2011 04:35 PM
    Samsung can promote there brand or look, through Verizon. If every Android phone was vanilla there wouldnt be much to differentiate Samsung from other manufacturers. Verizon then has to go through a process to approve the software overlay. This is an extra cost which I am sure Verizon charges a premium for. Where as stock android is more universal and less testing is needed on Verizon's part. I could be wrong but it seems like this is how it would be.

Or you could be right. It costs Verizon less in testing to put out a vanilla device. But they would loose money from the third partys that put their bloat apps on phones...so they would be taking a chance that vanilla (or plain to the average consumer) would be a good selling point.

To say nothing differentiates from one another is total nonsense. Hardware, form factor, build quality, etc. All are relevant factors when picking a phone.

And I don't think there's a single piece of evidence to support the idea that VZW makes extra for selling a skinned device.
    ejaymd11 likes this.
    10-13-2011 04:36 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD