Verizon Galaxy Nexus could come with TouchWiz?!

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site
This confirms it.

I am now almost 100% sure that there will be a Droid Prime on verizon and then a Nexus Prime/Galaxy Prime.

The droid will be slightly skinned.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
This confirms it.

I am now almost 100% sure that there will be a Droid Prime on verizon and then a Nexus Prime/Galaxy Prime.

The droid will be slightly skinned.

Who's to say the other carriers' version won't be skinned? There is no way in the world that Google would allow a phone to have ICS before their Nexus and since Verizon's version is coming out first that only leaves one other alternative...

Sent from my Thunderbolt

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Hmm I wonder? It seems that there are two phones in the leaks the i9xxxx GSM and the the other 1515 model, one maybe global and the other.. no one knows? I have the Og droid which came with no blur just Google interface..but did include Vcast apps. Eventually I installed a launcher. I actually like the launcher look and functionality better than stock Android that is on my Og droid. I can switch back and forth and stock is not for me....but the launcher UI seems better than past blurs--and you can confiure the launcher scrolling smoothness app drawer, icons paks, launcher docks ...which is something I cannot not do with vanilla on my OG Droid although I can get to and modify the root directory with no problem.

The first vid leak looked rather boring. The second vid-- the one with the analog clock and animations looked a lot better, although I don't like that gold and blue faded wall paper at all, but you can change wall papers. I am feeling ambivalent and compromised.

I would like to like to at LEAST give stock ICS a try to see what it has to offer. I don't like the in-your-face-blue, orange/red colors and big widgets that are presented with TouchWiz out of the box...but I guess you can change to another wall paper, install other widgets and you can tone down the color intensity. I like the idea of Samsung Kies which I guess would not be offered with stock ICS. Guess I will just have to wait and see what is released before I can decide.

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I find it hard to believe that Google's very first ICS phone would be skinned in any way, especially since it's supposed to be a Nexus device (which are known as "Pure Google Experience" devices). Of course, I also say this with a bias that is hope in stock ICS on the Verizon Nexus phone.

MedioGringo

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Hmm I wonder? It seems that there are two phones in the leaks the i9xxxx GSM and the the other 1515 model, one maybe global and the other.. no one knows? I have the Og droid which came with no blur just Google interface..but did include Vcast apps. Eventually I installed a launcher. I actually like the launcher look and functionality better than stock Android that is on my Og droid. I can switch back and forth and stock is not for me....but the launcher UI seems better than past blurs--and you can confiure the launcher scrolling smoothness app drawer, icons paks, launcher docks ...which is something I cannot not do with vanilla on my OG Droid although I can get to and modify the root directory with no problem.

The first vid leak looked rather boring. The second vid-- the one with the analog clock and animations looked a lot better, although I don't like that gold and blue faded wall paper at all, but you can change wall papers. I am feeling ambivalent and compromised.

I would like to like to at LEAST give stock ICS a try to see what it has to offer. I don't like the in-your-face-blue, orange/red colors and big widgets that are presented with TouchWiz out of the box...but I guess you can change to another wall paper, install other widgets and you can tone down the color intensity. I like the idea of Samsung Kies which I guess would not be offered with stock ICS. Guess I will just have to wait and see what is released before I can decide.

The Nexus S and Nexus S 4g had different code numbers (i9020 and SPH-D720). The 2 different models could just signify the LTE and GSM versions.

Reactions: VideoEngineerAJS

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but this is dumb. It's a Nexus!!! It's not Samsung's decision, it's Google's call. The Nexus S is a Samsung device.

Sent from my Thunderbolt

If by Nexus, you mean it's a GALAXY Nexus...Then yes. You're right. This phone resembles Samsung far more than it resembles Google (According to leaks which could be completely off). Notice the rumors of the plastic chassis (like the Galaxy S II). Furthermore, the design of the UI in the leaked Nexus Prime video (assuming it's not fake) looks suspiciously like TouchWiz.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
If by Nexus, you mean it's a GALAXY Nexus...Then yes. You're right. This phone resembles Samsung far more than it resembles Google (According to leaks which could be completely off). Notice the rumors of the plastic chassis (like the Galaxy S II). Furthermore, the design of the UI in the leaked Nexus Prime video (assuming it's not fake) looks suspiciously like TouchWiz.

Not sure what a plastic chassis has to do with anything...the Nexus S has one as well. As far as naming convention goes, you do know that the "S" in Nexus S comes from Galaxy S right? As far as meaning goes, I see it as simply an identifier that it's a Google device made by Samsung. Same goes for Galaxy Nexus.

I'm just not seeing any hint in the video or the latest screenshots that look like Touchwiz. The app drawer, widgets, color accents, icons, etc. looks like a more refined Honeycomb than anything else. None of the UI elements in the video, as far as looks and function are concerned, appear in any version of TouchWiz that is out there.

Otherwise, we really have nothing else to compare to except for a video of the Nexus S running, what could potentially be, an early version of ICS. This doesn't mean that Google isn't taking cues from third party UIs like TouchWiz. However, software is never set in stone so anything we see now shouldn't be considered final or conclusive until we see an announcement.

Last edited:

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to put an end to this right now. I know somebody with firmware from the Nexus that's about a month old. It has no touchwiz or no bloatware. If you don't choose to believe me, I really do not care. It's your time that you're wasting thinking about this. I can't believe people are really running with this stupid rumor.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It may or may not have touchwiz, but it will definitely have verizon bloat on it. That's how verizon rolls, and they're big enough to bully the issue. This is why you're probably going to see see HUGE delays in this phone being brought to the market. If you think that verizon see's any value in a "true Google experience" (eye roll at the ridiculousness of this phrasing...I don't think it's going to be life changing), you've miss judged big red. The .01% of people that mod their phones (I'm included in this tiny group) do not drive verizon's marketing plans. I just want ICS to be released on any device. Rooting and ROMs can take care of getting rid of the bloat.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Do you not understand the point of a nexus phone? If it has bloat it won't be a nexus. How is this so hard to understand?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus TouchWiz edition using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Do you not understand the point of a nexus phone? If it has bloat it won't be a nexus. How is this so hard to understand?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Nexus TouchWiz edition using Tapatalk

Sure, I understand, I just don't think that verizon is as interested in the idea as much as you are. It's why I think this phone is a long way off from coming to verizon. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Sure, I understand, I just don't think that verizon is as interested in the idea as much as you are. It's why I think this phone is a long way off from coming to verizon. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

Verizon makes money from their bloatware. Does anything else really need to be said? That seems like enough reason to me for Verizon to make a push for their bloatware being included with this phone.

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Read first:

New Leak Suggests There May Be More Than One ?Prime? [OPINION] (Updated) ? AndroidGuys

What do you guys think of this? While I really don't want to believe it, they make a few good points.

Now, this would be totally and utterly heart-wrenching to me as I've wanted a VZW Nexus since the Nexus One came out. Do you really think Google would allow the Nexus name to be on a phone run by TouchWiz over Ice Cream Sandwich? I really don't think they would. But hell, for some reason I could see Samsung and Verizon talking Google (who never stands up to the carriers) into it.

In the stock-Nexus' defense, why would Verizon release a TouchWizzed Nexus if they could have just released a Galaxy S II like all the other carriers? Hopefully that logic means we WILL be getting a stock Nexus.

Now, to me, a Nexus means totally unlock-able and it gets instant updates from Google. No Verizon crapware or update delays. It's a Google phone, controlled by Google. The carrier is just a dumbpipe. Will we be getting this (finally) on the Verizon LTE network? I sure effing hope so.

Come on, Verizon+Samsung+Google, don't screw us. Just give us stock Ice Cream Sandwich on a true Nexus device. Please.

What do you think, guys? Am I crazy? Soothe my nerves and tell me this article is bat-**** insane.

I'm not all that impressed with Google's handling of updates with their GED Xoom. Every update includes more bugs with no noticeable improvements. Honeycomb on the Xoom in the USA is version 3.2 (3.2.2 if you got your 4g upgrade) the update includes an annoying screen dim bug and the ability to read only from the SD card. Outside the USA xoom owners are on version 3.1 which was sent ota from Motorola (not Google) their version is less buggy and has read WRITE to SD card ability.

What I'm getting at is sometimes getting the latest updates straight from the source isn't the best when the alternative is a better tested more functional update release.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

It was my expectation also that there would be some bloatware, but tere seem to be leaks from well-placed sources that directly contradict this, and of course people who have a system dump (i.e. provided boot animations and wallpapers) that said no bloat was loaded.

Also, while Verizon loves itself some bloatware, it also has had to make a pact with the dev...Apple to not put any bloat on the iPhone, and Verizon seems very happy to be pitting this device head on against the 4s, so maybe they bought into it to allow a truly premium Android experience to go head to head with (and hopefully for them temper the leverage of) the iPhone.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It was my expectation also that there would be some bloatware, but tere seem to be leaks from well-placed sources that directly contradict this, and of course people who have a system dump (i.e. provided boot animations and wallpapers) that said no bloat was loaded.

Also, while Verizon loves itself some bloatware, it also has had to make a pact with the dev...Apple to not put any bloat on the iPhone, and Verizon seems very happy to be pitting this device head on against the 4s, so maybe they bought into it to allow a truly premium Android experience to go head to head with (and hopefully for them temper the leverage of) the iPhone.

Yes, but there is a huge difference between the iphone and a nexus device. The iphone is a true one of a kind (although a crappy kind). This gave apple more leverage over verizon...if they wanted to carry the phone. The nexus is just another android device, which they already have boatloads of. Before you get too mad at me for saying that, I realize that the cleaner, bloat/skin free nexus is slightly better than other android devices, it's still something that only a very small percentage of the verizon customers care about. Before anyone get's worked up about my "slightly better" comment, come on guys...it's not like a factory bloat free device is going to truly change your "experience" in using a phone. Besides, it's nothing that a new ROM can't accomplish anyway.