Verizon Galaxy Nexus could come with TouchWiz?!

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I think Google and Samsung delayed the announcement just so they could provoke and laugh at threads like this. Cheers

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I love all this chatter about something we know absolutely nothing about! Gotta admit it's entertaining. Pretty much what happens before any hot phone gets released. The Tbolt, charge, bionic were similar before they got dropped, although this prime device is generating alot more buzz than most.

Carry On ppl :p

Sent from my SCH-I510 soon to be primed

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I think this thread has hit on the real reason behind the postponement at the CTIA meeting this week. Google, Samsung and Verizon can't come to an agreement on making this phone with no Samsung/Verizon blur...and they're not going to. Verizon makes too much money off of the blur and doesn't give a hoot about a "pure" Google experience.

EDIT: Bloat/blur/skin...I understand the difference, but got tired of typing. Sorry.

Last edited:

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I think this thread has hit on the real reason behind the postponement at the CTIA meeting this week. Google, Samsung and Verizon can't come to an agreement on making this phone with no Samsung/Verizon blur...and they're not going to. Verizon makes too much money off of the blur and doesn't give a hoot about a "pure" Google experience.

Verizon blur?

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Blur is Motos skin lol, but yea I think greydarrah is right. Maybe they postponed the announcement because Google and Verizon are probably in a debate on wether to allow bloat/skin or not. Verizon has nothing to gain from a pure vanilla phone unless they can use it for marketing purpose, and can make more money from that than they do off of the advertisers that add bloat. Verizon can easily change the name from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Charge 2 or something. Only us tech people really care about Vanilla. 80% of the public doesn't care or even know there is bloat there.

Edit...if there was actually overlay that combined touchwiz and blur I think it would destroy android lol.

BTW anyone ever use a Fascinate or Captivate? Worst phones ever. I don't have faith in Samsung.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Blur is Motos skin, but yea I think greydarrah is right. Maybe they postponed the announcement because Google and Verizon are probably in a debate on wether to allow bloat/skin or not. Verizon has nothing to gain from a pure vanilla phone unless they can use it for marketing purpose, and can make more money from that then from they do off of the advertisers that add bloat. Verizon can easily change the name from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Charge 2 or something. Only us tech people really care about Vanilla. 80% of the public doesn't care or even know there is bloat there.

Not unless they are going to downgrade it to GB or delay the launch and all signs so far point to neither one of those things happening. ICS will not be on a phone before the Nexus.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Blur is Motos skin lol, but yea I think greydarrah is right. Maybe they postponed the announcement because Google and Verizon are probably in a debate on wether to allow bloat/skin or not. Verizon has nothing to gain from a pure vanilla phone unless they can use it for marketing purpose, and can make more money from that then from they do off of the advertisers that add bloat. Verizon can easily change the name from the Galaxy Nexus to the Droid Charge 2 or something. Only us tech people really care about Vanilla. 80% of the public doesn't care or even know there is bloat there.

Edit...if there was actually overlay that combined touchwiz and blur I think it would destroy android lol.

Can we get a few things straight. There's a difference between bloat and skins. Verizon doesn't care about the skin. That's a manufacturer thing. Bloat is software pre-loaded on the phone that can't be removed.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes I know the difference between bloat and skin/overlay. I was just making a general point that Verizon make more money off of Samsung (Overlay) and third party companies (bloat) than they do off of people buying Vanilla devices. But Google is pretty powerful, hopefully they threw enough money at Verizon to keep this thing Vanilla.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I know the difference between bloat and skin/overlay. I was just making a general point that Verizon make more money off of Samsung (Overlay) and third party companies (bloat) than they do off of people buying Vanilla devices. But Google is pretty powerful, hopefully they threw enough money at Verizon to keep this thing Vanilla.

Please explain how Verizon makes more money off of carrying a phone with a Samsung "overlay" (TouchWiz) than a phone without it.

Reactions: Chad McRad

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Please explain how Verizon makes more money off of carrying a phone with a Samsung "overlay" (TouchWiz) than a phone without it.

Samsung can promote there brand or look, through Verizon. If every Android phone was vanilla there wouldnt be much to differentiate Samsung from other manufacturers. Verizon then has to go through a process to approve the software overlay. This is an extra cost which I am sure Verizon charges a premium for. Where as stock android is more universal and less testing is needed on Verizon's part. I could be wrong but it seems like this is how it would be.

Or you could be right. It costs Verizon less in testing to put out a vanilla device. But they would loose money from the third partys that put their bloat apps on phones...so they would be taking a chance that vanilla (or plain to the average consumer) would be a good selling point.

Sent from my Incredible 2

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe Verizon will view it as a test. Put the basic OS on there and then see if they can encourage people to download their additional services. I have no problem if Verizon includes all of their crapware on a phone when I get it to help reduce my cost as a consumer. As long as I can easily (non-rooted) uninstall it. It's the stupidity of the NASCAR (Sprint) or VCast Video (Verizon) apps that I just don't want. Put something useful on there and I might use it and keep it. The worthless apps should just be deleted with an option to re-download them from the Market.

As for skins, I disagree with some of the purists. Stock Android, up to 2.3 at least, is boring. Some of the skins like HTC Sense or the newer Samsung Touchwiz add some flavor to a bland dessert. I won't talk about the atrocity that is Moto Blur, but even they're making strides in the newer versions. However, it should abide by the same rules as bloatware apps. I should be able to easily replace the skinning with another of my choice. If I don't want Touchwiz, I shouldn't be stuck with it. Let the manufactures include those to differentiate themselves, but let me replace it if I don't like it. Only power users will ever really do that so why should they care?

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Samsung can promote there brand or look, through Verizon. If every Android phone was vanilla there wouldnt be much to differentiate Samsung from other manufacturers. Verizon then has to go through a process to approve the software overlay. This is an extra cost which I am sure Verizon charges a premium for. Where as stock android is more universal and less testing is needed on Verizon's part. I could be wrong but it seems like this is how it would be.

Or you could be right. It costs Verizon less in testing to put out a vanilla device. But they would loose money from the third partys that put their bloat apps on phones...so they would be taking a chance that vanilla (or plain to the average consumer) would be a good selling point.

Sent from my Incredible 2

To say nothing differentiates from one another is total nonsense. Hardware, form factor, build quality, etc. All are relevant factors when picking a phone.

And I don't think there's a single piece of evidence to support the idea that VZW makes extra for selling a skinned device.

Reactions: ejaymd11

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
To say nothing differentiates from one another is total nonsense. Hardware, form factor, build quality, etc. All are relevant factors when picking a phone.

And I don't think there's a single piece of evidence to support the idea that VZW makes extra for selling a skinned device.

Well thats why the manufacturers put overlays on their phones. But yea there are other factors that different phones. And I know that Verizon requires testing for software overlays.

Why do you want a Nexus anyways, I see you have the Bionic. The Bionic should get ICS and Moto make some pretty good hardware. I am just curious because my GF is about to buy the Bionic this week.

revickulous2001

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Well thats why the manufacturers put overlays on their phones. But yea there are other factors that different phones. And I know that Verizon requires testing for software overlays.

Why do you want a Nexus anyways, I see you have the Bionic. The Bionic should get ICS and Moto make some pretty good hardware. I am just curious because my GF is about to buy the Bionic this week.

Manufacturers do make more money from selling phones with skins than those without. They don't get paid "extra" for those phones, but they sell more of them. The fact of the matter is, most users prefer the skins. Most users care less about the raw performance of the phone than they do the appearance of it. Only the power users care more about performance. Remember that many android owners were using a land line phone only a year or so ago.

The Bionic's battery life is atrocious and it is buggy, by the way.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I even like HTC sense better than vanilla and I am a power user and have had Android phones from most manufacturers. Vanilla is a close second though. But yea you are right, I don't think vanilla is a good selling point especially when the general public wants an iPhone. Vanilla Android doesn't look that great.

I suspected that the bionic might have some bugs, having blur on it, but it looked like a decent enough phone. Hopefully the Rezound will have better battery. I am happy with my inc2 till they get these 4G phones working better.

sent from my skyraider inc2