Announcement for the 19th?

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Well it's plausible as both Andy Rubin and Dr. Won-Pyo Hong (Executive VP of Samsung Global Product Strategy) were already going to be speaking there. But won't believe it till we get official confirmation.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So if they announced it on the 19th in Hong Kong, then those of us in the US will definitely know by late Tuesday evening/early Wednesday morning (I suppose it depends on what time the event will be).

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
So if they announced it on the 19th in Hong Kong, then those of us in the US will definitely know by late Tuesday evening/early Wednesday morning (I suppose it depends on what time the event will be).

Droid-Life says "We are hearing that the event will happen at 9AM on the 19th in Hong Kong which would be 6PM Pacific on the 18th in the U.S."

Will Andy Rubin and Samsung Unveil Ice Cream Sandwich on October 18 from Hong Kong? (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Reactions: Mooem

kvlt

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Im not quite sure it will be announced then... but honestly, what else is there to talk about? Is Andy Rubin just going to talk marketshare and growth the whole time? Logically we would see something before then, but you never know...

kregstrong

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
Why would they announce a verizon phone overseas? Or would they be announcing. The new nexus for all carriers?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Why would they announce a verizon phone overseas? Or would they be announcing. The new nexus for all carriers?

even IF this phone is Verizon exclusive in the US it is going to be available on other carriers throughout the world. Since the presentation is most likely invite only and will also most likely be streamed on YouTube, what does it matter to those of you in the US where it is held. If the information is correct however us Brits are going to have to be up at 2am to watch it.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Droid-Life says "We are hearing that the event will happen at 9AM on the 19th in Hong Kong which would be 6PM Pacific on the 18th in the U.S."

Will Andy Rubin and Samsung Unveil Ice Cream Sandwich on October 18 from Hong Kong? (Updated) - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Well then, I know what I'll be doing at 9PM EST then. :)

I was thinking about this and I think it may play out like this if the exclusivity angle pans out...

***Speculation alert***
Samsung/Google announce that it will be available in several international markets and in the US exclusively on Verizon for a limited time at a specified date (November 3rd?). It will then later roll out to other US carriers later in the year.

Obviously, it would be preferable to do a worldwide release on the same date. Anyone remember where the whole Verizon exclusivity rumor came from? I know Phil said several months ago that it will be on Verizon but I don't remember anyone saying it would be exclusive.

Jet300

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
I find it pretty ironic that Google and Samsung canceled the original unveiling of the Nexus Prime and ICS in deference to the passing of Steve Jobs, only to have the rescheduled date be the same day that Apple will hold a company wide memorial celebration for him.....

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I find it pretty ironic that Google and Samsung canceled the original unveiling of the Nexus Prime and ICS in deference to the passing of Steve Jobs, only to have the rescheduled date be the same day that Apple will hold a company wide memorial celebration for him.....

It's actually the day before if you take the whole time zone thing into account. The Steve Jobs things is the 19th (USA) and this event is 6pm on the 18th (USA).

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I doubt there will be an official announcement of any phones, however there will probably be a preview of ice cream sandwich on an "unannounced Samsung device" similar to how honeycomb was previewed last year.

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I doubt there will be an official announcement of any phones, however there will probably be a preview of ice cream sandwich on an "unannounced Samsung device" similar to how honeycomb was previewed last year.

I don't think this will be the case. If this is still a Samsung + Google hosted event, then there should be no doubt that Samsung is there to talk about the phone(s) as well. The official video teaser distinctly played up the phone and Samsung seems heavily involved with the event. Why would they participate if it's just going to be Google unveiling/demoing ICS? Doesn't make sense to me.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site

If it's a Nexus branded phone, there will most definitely be an announcement.

EggoEspada

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

Unlikely imo. These are two very different situations. The Honeycomb/Xoom preview was just a little demo to show they are working on getting into the tablet space, but don't have a finished project yet. The Nexus/ICS on the other hand, are completed and near ready for final production. It would be dumb to to see just a demo considering the launch date is rumored to be Nov. 3rd.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I am not holding my breath. Remembering back to last year this event is more of an interview/conversation with heads of industry about the future in broad terms. I just don't think it is an appropriate forum for a product announcement.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I am not holding my breath. Remembering back to last year this event is more of an interview/conversation with heads of industry about the future in broad terms. I just don't think it is an appropriate forum for a product announcement.

The report was that the announcement would be made from the event, not during the interview. The idea is that Andy Rubin will be talking about ICS during the interview, so they would do a joint Google/Samsung announcement at a time that is more convenient for U.S. viewers some time before that.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
The report was that the announcement would be made from the event, not during the interview. The idea is that Andy Rubin will be talking about ICS during the interview, so they would do a joint Google/Samsung announcement at a time that is more convenient for U.S. viewers some time before that.

That makes more sense, well here's hoping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair