Samsung confirms October 19th ICS event

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
1) So sick of waiting and speculating.
2) If ICS is announced, they have to have a device to run it on present. You'd think that would be the Nexus.

reflekt2099

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
not to mention the obvious fact that samsung and google are throwing the event. google is presenting/unveiling ICS. what else would samsung be presenting? there's no question that they'll be showing off a product, which can't be anything else other than the galaxy nexus.

the real question is...will they be unveiling two different versions of the nexus? the gt-i9250 and the SCH-I515? everyone knows that both phones with those model numbers exist. my guess is that they only unveil the Verizon version of the phone, SCH-I515.

DessVZW

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been thinking about this for a while, and a few things seem to make sense now that didn't before.

The GSM version has passed through FCC, while the i515 (Verizon version) hasn't made an appearance yet (I think this is right - someone correct me if I am mistaken). Then we've had all this confusion about "will there be 2 devices or not" and we're pretty sure it'll just be called the Galaxy Nexus, it'll be a single device, but that there will be a CDMA/LTE version headed for Verizon, and then a GSM version for other carriers and the rest of the world (since most networks worldwide are GSM).

It's all a little muddled though, with so many conflicting rumors, etc... until you remember something we recently heard Samsung's UK director tell T3: "“You will have an announcement of the Nexus Prime very shortly and will be seeing it in shops sooner than you think”"

It all makes me wonder - do you think it's possible we'll see the release of the GSM version overseas first, followed by American releases (including Verizon)? It would help to make some sense out of why they're announcing the product in Hong Kong - an Asian/European market release first, followed by a U.S. release (as happened with the Galaxy SII, also made by Samsung). It would also allow Google to usher in ICS to the world via their youtube live stream - but as to whether we'd see specific device details about the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, well, that's almost impossible to answer right now. One thing is pretty sure - we're nearly guaranteed to see some iteration of the next Nexus phone. They'll use the Nexus phone to demonstrate the ICS OS, obviously, but whether it would be the GSM or CDMA/LTE version, who knows.

I just wonder if we'll see the Nexus in the UK and Europe very soon after the announcement on the 19th, followed up by the Verizon version a few weeks later. I mean, what if the phone is announced on the 19th and goes on sale in a matter of days to a week or two after the announcement? That's totally possible in my mind. That would still put it out ahead of the VZW Galaxy Nexus which is rumored for a Nov. 3rd release date.

It makes sense, but there's really nothing truly concrete to back up this idea. I'm thinking out loud, but I can't help but wonder if this is how it'll play out, really.

Last edited:

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
If Google allows the new Nexus to be released in another Country before Theee United States of America ill be pissed. Us first, them second..... By the way, we should be seeing the CDMA version cross the FCC anytime now. Apples iPhone 4S passed the FCC the day after it was announced. (the same day Jobs passed)

mngdew

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
If Google allows the new Nexus to be released in another Country before Theee United States of America ill be pissed. Us first, them second..... By the way, we should be seeing the CDMA version cross the FCC anytime now. Apples iPhone 4S passed the FCC the day after it was announced. (the same day Jobs passed)

Which market is bigger, U.S. vs. Asia & Europe combined?

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
About time. Just a few more days. Kinda glad its not till late the event streams because I can just sit and enjoy the show. Plus, it won't get lost in the news of th XOOM 2 and DROID RAZR launch earlier that day.

Don't you think it would be the other way around? The Verizon announcement would be lost in the ICS announcement? :p

What happened was Apple wanted an injunction to mandate Verizon to require TouchWiz on any Android device so that Apple could in turn sue Samsung over another phone infringing on the patents of iOS. It's really kind of obvious guys. This is what caused the delay - all the hidden clues in the press releases have been pointing to it.

:eek: I think you're on to something...

A US device announced in a foreign country? IMO i dont think we will see the new Nexus. Just a slide show to show off ICS. Unless im wrong? Has Verizon AT&T Tmobile and Sprint ever have a new phone announced outside the US?

Look at MWC. There are a lot of US devices announced, and that's a Spain event.

? What makes the US so entitled? I imagine it will be a first tier release, but if not, there's nothing to be pissed about but the longer wait.

Vanilla Ice

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
? What makes the US so entitled? I imagine it will be a first tier release, but if not, there's nothing to be pissed about but the longer wait.

Thats what i would be pissed about. The long wait. Just like some here, I'v been waiting for almost 2 years for something this big and my Droid is, well not doing so good.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
and i don't give a damn where it's from. I just want it. just sayin

You said it bro.

Also all US citizens getting their panties in a bunch at the idea of a phone that will be available in the US not being announce in the US, This happens all the time, your carriers made Samsung remodel both the Galaxy S & S2 (2 perfectly good phones) so that each of them could have their own version. If there is a delay in it launching in the US blame them.

Salacon

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Have people forgotten that the event was originally supposed to take place in San Diego (the U.S.) at CTIA, last Tuesday? I fail to see how the event's movement to outside North America matters in the least.

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
It's a phone that is supposed to be for anyone in the world.

So I don't see why it's odd to have the announcement outside the US.

I think Americans still need to figure out the cellphone industry outside the US as well where most phones are sold without having to be branded or modified by the carriers. Very often, you buy phones from manufacturers stores and then pop your SIM card in. That's how it's supposed to be, not tied in with carriers.

That's part of the reason why the US got the Samsung Galaxy S II after everyone else in the world.

CZ Eddie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Samsung has several HUGE wafer plants here in Austin, TX where they employ several thousand people. Samsung invests heavily in Austin.
I have no trouble buying a Samsung phone.

infernalman7

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
If it comes to the nationality of a company, Samsung would easily fit under the "multinational corporation" category.

And I thought the days where people judge things/brands based on their location of origin already :S