10-14-2011 01:18 PM
37 12
tools
    Samsung and Google reschedule the Ice Cream Sandwich media event to Oct. 19

One has to assume the Nexus Prime will be there as well.
    10-13-2011 02:21 PM
    Aww beat me to it hehe. But FINALLY! BRING IT ON!!!!!!
    10-13-2011 02:22 PM
    Woooooooooooooooooo. That is all.
    10-13-2011 02:27 PM
    Wait.... but I thought Verizon was delaying the announcement to put blur on the phone. What about the patent war?
    10-13-2011 02:30 PM
    Finally some confirmation of an announcement. Looking forward to Tuesday night.
    10-13-2011 02:31 PM
    3am UK time! <Grumble, Grumble>

Looking forward to the announcements!

In other news, the Ice Cream Sandwich statue has arrived at GooglePlex!

ICS at Googleplex
    descendency likes this.
    10-13-2011 02:36 PM
    Well now I just want to eat Android shaped ice cream sandwich.
    Lucki likes this.
    10-13-2011 02:41 PM
    About time. Just a few more days. Kinda glad its not till late the event streams because I can just sit and enjoy the show. Plus, it won't get lost in the news of th XOOM 2 and DROID RAZR launch earlier that day.
    10-13-2011 02:44 PM
    ICS Dessert at launch party... I wonder where they will get it from?
    10-13-2011 02:45 PM
    Wait.... but I thought Verizon was delaying the announcement to put blur on the phone. What about the patent war?
    lol
    10-13-2011 02:48 PM
    What happened was Apple wanted an injunction to mandate Verizon to require TouchWiz on any Android device so that Apple could in turn sue Samsung over another phone infringing on the patents of iOS. It's really kind of obvious guys. This is what caused the delay - all the hidden clues in the press releases have been pointing to it.
    oxymoron likes this.
    10-13-2011 03:02 PM
    Samsung and Google reschedule the Ice Cream Sandwich media event to Oct. 19

One has to assume the Nexus Prime will be there as well.
    A US device announced in a foreign country? IMO i dont think we will see the new Nexus. Just a slide show to show off ICS. Unless im wrong? Has Verizon AT&T Tmobile and Sprint ever have a new phone announced outside the US?
    10-13-2011 03:07 PM
    A US device announced in a foreign country? IMO i dont think we will see the new Nexus. Just a slide show to show off ICS. Unless im wrong? Has Verizon AT&T Tmobile and Sprint ever have a new phone announced outside the US?
    Who said the Nexus Prime would only be released in the U.S.?
    10-13-2011 03:09 PM
    Who said the Nexus Prime would only be released in the U.S.?
    Thats part of my point, I dont know?? But its something to think about.
    10-13-2011 03:14 PM
    Sony Ericsson Xperia play, a verizon exclusive 3 month phone, was announced in Europe instead of USA.
    10-13-2011 03:23 PM
    Its not only a US device. The LTE version is probably destined for Verizon, but the other one is most likely for the rest of the world.

You should probably note that this is NOT being hosted by Verizon (or AT&T or T-Mobile or Sprint), but hosted by Google and Samsung - no carrier ties whatsoever!
    10-13-2011 03:28 PM
    Sony Ericsson Xperia play, a verizon exclusive 3 month phone, was announced in Europe instead of USA.
    There, you proved me wrong! Heres to Google announcing the Nexus to ALL 4 US carriers WITH release dates. Not the whole "Coming Soon" Crap.
    10-13-2011 03:30 PM
    A US device announced in a foreign country?
    Galaxy S2?
    10-13-2011 03:32 PM
    There, you proved me wrong! Heres to Google announcing the Nexus to ALL 4 US carriers WITH release dates. Not the whole "Coming Soon" Crap.
    I doubt they will announce it to all 4 US carriers at this event.
    EggoEspada and wyseguy77 like this.
    10-13-2011 03:34 PM
    So sam day as the motorola razor announcement...
    10-13-2011 03:46 PM
    1) So sick of waiting and speculating.
    2) If ICS is announced, they have to have a device to run it on present. You'd think that would be the Nexus.
    scotty_pimmpen and EggoEspada like this.
    10-13-2011 03:48 PM
    not to mention the obvious fact that samsung and google are throwing the event. google is presenting/unveiling ICS. what else would samsung be presenting? there's no question that they'll be showing off a product, which can't be anything else other than the galaxy nexus.

the real question is...will they be unveiling two different versions of the nexus? the gt-i9250 and the SCH-I515? everyone knows that both phones with those model numbers exist. my guess is that they only unveil the Verizon version of the phone, SCH-I515.
    10-13-2011 05:37 PM
    I've been thinking about this for a while, and a few things seem to make sense now that didn't before.

The GSM version has passed through FCC, while the i515 (Verizon version) hasn't made an appearance yet (I think this is right - someone correct me if I am mistaken). Then we've had all this confusion about "will there be 2 devices or not" and we're pretty sure it'll just be called the Galaxy Nexus, it'll be a single device, but that there will be a CDMA/LTE version headed for Verizon, and then a GSM version for other carriers and the rest of the world (since most networks worldwide are GSM).

It's all a little muddled though, with so many conflicting rumors, etc... until you remember something we recently heard Samsung's UK director tell T3: "“You will have an announcement of the Nexus Prime very shortly and will be seeing it in shops sooner than you think”"

It all makes me wonder - do you think it's possible we'll see the release of the GSM version overseas first, followed by American releases (including Verizon)? It would help to make some sense out of why they're announcing the product in Hong Kong - an Asian/European market release first, followed by a U.S. release (as happened with the Galaxy SII, also made by Samsung). It would also allow Google to usher in ICS to the world via their youtube live stream - but as to whether we'd see specific device details about the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, well, that's almost impossible to answer right now. One thing is pretty sure - we're nearly guaranteed to see some iteration of the next Nexus phone. They'll use the Nexus phone to demonstrate the ICS OS, obviously, but whether it would be the GSM or CDMA/LTE version, who knows.

I just wonder if we'll see the Nexus in the UK and Europe very soon after the announcement on the 19th, followed up by the Verizon version a few weeks later. I mean, what if the phone is announced on the 19th and goes on sale in a matter of days to a week or two after the announcement? That's totally possible in my mind. That would still put it out ahead of the VZW Galaxy Nexus which is rumored for a Nov. 3rd release date.

It makes sense, but there's really nothing truly concrete to back up this idea. I'm thinking out loud, but I can't help but wonder if this is how it'll play out, really.
    EggoEspada likes this.
    10-13-2011 06:14 PM
    If Google allows the new Nexus to be released in another Country before Theee United States of America ill be pissed. Us first, them second..... By the way, we should be seeing the CDMA version cross the FCC anytime now. Apples iPhone 4S passed the FCC the day after it was announced. (the same day Jobs passed)
    10-13-2011 06:36 PM
    If Google allows the new Nexus to be released in another Country before Theee United States of America ill be pissed. Us first, them second..... By the way, we should be seeing the CDMA version cross the FCC anytime now. Apples iPhone 4S passed the FCC the day after it was announced. (the same day Jobs passed)
    Which market is bigger, U.S. vs. Asia & Europe combined?
    10-13-2011 07:36 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD