10-18-2011 05:33 AM
60 123
tools
    Android is .. functional. I don't know that very many people would call Android beautiful, for example. Just because the OS works well (and way better than iOS IMO), doesn't mean that it can't be more cohesive, have a more unified look throughout it, and yes, be more beautiful . Android is very functional, but in my opinion a bit bland and somewhat uninspired. iOS may not FUNCTION the way I need it, but it sure looks nice, has beautiful fluid transitions, and a tightly integrated, unified look and feel throughout.

One can enjoy Android, but at the same time aspire to improvements on it. So yes I am "happy with what Android is", but I still want it improved. I think we all should ...
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    rickhamilton620 likes this.
    10-14-2011 04:03 PM
    Having the og Droid I don't think I can call it beautiful. It was kind of boring but functional and even with updates it was laggy. Then I found launchers...with them I have all kinds of theme options, Icon pacs, controllable scrolling speeds, selectable screen transitions and display options, App drawer configurations and the scrolling is smooth. All of this is still running on Android 2.2.2. so a lot can be had using the right UI. I really hope stock ICS UI will look and operate great, if not I hope the launcher developers will come out with updates that will take advantage of ICS and improved hardware.
    10-14-2011 05:12 PM
    Lets hope that Google finally optimized and hardware accelerated every part of Android. I'll believe it when I see it. There's simply no excuse why modern Android phones aren't as smooth and responsive as last-gen WP7 and iOS devices.
    10-14-2011 06:16 PM
    Lets hope that Google finally optimized and hardware accelerated every part of Android. I'll believe it when I see it. There's simply no excuse why modern Android phones aren't as smooth and responsive as last-gen WP7 and iOS devices.
    It's done. It was done in the 3.0 kernel, although (as noted) the GPU in Tegra 2 wasn't really up to snuff. And you've already seen the leaked videos...the thing is fast and smooth.
    10-14-2011 08:22 PM
    Normal CEO marketing talk
    +1
    10-15-2011 01:37 AM
    Android is .. functional. I don't know that very many people would call Android beautiful, for example. Just because the OS works well (and way better than iOS IMO), doesn't mean that it can't be more cohesive, have a more unified look throughout it, and yes, be more beautiful . Android is very functional, but in my opinion a bit bland and somewhat uninspired. iOS may not FUNCTION the way I need it, but it sure looks nice, has beautiful fluid transitions, and a tightly integrated, unified look and feel throughout.

One can enjoy Android, but at the same time aspire to improvements on it. So yes I am "happy with what Android is", but I still want it improved. I think we all should ...
    And I'm not saying that it shouldn't be improved. It is always improving and getting better. I'm saying that it shouldn't try to look, or be like any other OS.
    10-16-2011 03:11 PM
    And I'm not saying that it shouldn't be improved. It is always improving and getting better. I'm saying that it shouldn't try to look, or be like any other OS.
    I would agree - not totally like another OS, BUT why not look at what works the best (i.e. best customer experiences) on the top platforms and do something similar or build on that concept if yours isn't the best?

Within the boundaries of copyright law, it's best for the consumer (and, hence, the manufacturers) if the top 3 or 4 are constantly taking good ideas from other platforms and even other non-mobile software to improve upon and include in their products. I'm not talking direct copying - but take a concept and run with it.

I would much rather have changes be based on past success and customer feedback than the "developer-knows-best", "throw some new features at 'em to sell phones" approach (that happens in software as a whole).

The customer will always tell you what they want, and will reward you for at least listening if not implementing their needs.
    dsignori likes this.
    10-17-2011 11:05 AM
    I would agree - not totally like another OS, BUT why not look at what works the best (i.e. best customer experiences) on the top platforms and do something similar or build on that concept if yours isn't the best?

Within the boundaries of copyright law, it's best for the consumer (and, hence, the manufacturers) if the top 3 or 4 are constantly taking good ideas from other platforms and even other non-mobile software to improve upon and include in their products. I'm not talking direct copying - but take a concept and run with it.

I would much rather have changes be based on past success and customer feedback than the "developer-knows-best", "throw some new features at 'em to sell phones" approach (that happens in software as a whole).

The customer will always tell you what they want, and will reward you for at least listening if not implementing their needs.
    Very very true. Apple does it all the time (and then sells it to the world as if they invented them anyway). It simply makes sense to incorporate the best features that consumers desire, and some of the best UI designs where possible ..
    10-17-2011 01:41 PM
    It's done. It was done in the 3.0 kernel, although (as noted) the GPU in Tegra 2 wasn't really up to snuff. And you've already seen the leaked videos...the thing is fast and smooth.
    The 3.0 kernel added absolutely nothing at all..
    10-17-2011 11:01 PM
    The 3.0 kernel added absolutely nothing at all..
    this is not true, kernel 3 added better memory management.
    my Linux VPS switched from 300MB of free memory to 400MB only with a kernel update.
    10-18-2011 05:33 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD