?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this release."

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: ?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this releas

Larry Page: ?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this release."

He's referring to ICS....anyone have any idea what exactly he is referencing?

My guess would be just the sheer number of things they got done. Moving a platform forward while recombining tablet and phone DNA is no small task. It will be interesting to see how well they succeeded.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

So far in the videos it looks so-so. Some good stuff but nothing that makes it an industry changer.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

So far in the videos it looks so-so. Some good stuff but nothing that makes it an industry changer.

I think people need to stop looking for industry changing things in releases. As long as they make improvements on known issues and continue adding new features who cares if they are industry changing? It's all about making a nice UI and making it function in a way people enjoy using.

Reactions: MetalPhoenix79

schnoid

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site

IMHO the only way ICS could be as "incredible" as he's making it out to be is to build a WebOS-like UI on top of android. Don't get me wrong, I like android and I'm happy that it will be less fragmented after this release but the UI could definitely use some improvement. Blackberry blatantly copied the WebOS UI, so why can't Google? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they added though. I also hope they update my Sprint GS2 shortly after the announcement. That would be incredible enough for me! :)

edoublediz

Banned
Jan 26, 2010
Visit site

Larry Page: ?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this release [Ice Cream Sandwich]? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Larry Page: ?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this release."

He's referring to ICS....anyone have any idea what exactly he is referencing?

who in the hell would have an idea of what he is talking about????????????? He is saying what every other CEO would ever say about a new version of their product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

IMHO the only way ICS could be as "incredible" as he's making it out to be is to build a WebOS-like UI on top of android. Don't get me wrong, I like android and I'm happy that it will be less fragmented after this release but the UI could definitely use some improvement. Blackberry blatantly copied the WebOS UI, so why can't Google? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they added though. I also hope they update my Sprint GS2 shortly after the announcement. That would be incredible enough for me! :)

Good luck getting ICS anytime before I'd guess Spring 2012. Samsung doesn't seem to quick with updates especially since they have to get TouchWiz onto it first. Hopefully for all the SGSII owners they do but I wouldn't expect it though.

DessVZW

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

While Android has a reputation for being "plain" or "boring", we definitely don't want it to become like WebOS. WebOS is poorly coded - look how badly the HP TouchPad runs with a pretty incredible processor inside. The cards system is interesting, but I use so many apps, I don't want the cards implementation. I actually REALLY like the Honeycomb (and soon to be ICS) implementation of app switching. Just hit the little double-box looking icon next to the home key (one of the three software buttons) and it'll bring up a scrolling menu of recently used apps. It's intuitive, convenient, and out of the way when you want it to be, yet still easily accessible from ANY application/screen. It's perfect, really.

ICS will be better than some people probably give it credit for. But I've always found a lot of very, if you will, "nerdy" or technical things that are a part of Android releases to be really important or nice to have, yet they seem to be underwhelming to the majority of users (many of whom have no idea what's new about their new version of Android anyway). I dislike generalizing, but in this case it's true.

I think there'll be a few surprises in store for ICS, and we'll know soon if that's true.

twentydeuce

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

maybe they figured out how to have a 4g phone's battery last more then 12 hours.

oddlou

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site

While Android has a reputation for being "plain" or "boring", we definitely don't want it to become like WebOS. WebOS is poorly coded - look how badly the HP TouchPad runs with a pretty incredible processor inside. The cards system is interesting, but I use so many apps, I don't want the cards implementation. I actually REALLY like the Honeycomb (and soon to be ICS) implementation of app switching. Just hit the little double-box looking icon next to the home key (one of the three software buttons) and it'll bring up a scrolling menu of recently used apps. It's intuitive, convenient, and out of the way when you want it to be, yet still easily accessible from ANY application/screen. It's perfect, really.

Concur. I was a big WebOS fan back in the day (launchday Pre), but the fascination of some with WebOS is strange. It had nice fonts and gestures are nice, but the card interface was really useful only when running a small number of apps (queue joke about how there were only a few apps on WebOS anyway...). I much prefer the flexibility I have with Android, themes, apps, etc. With the updates to the UI that gingerbread and honeycomb have brought, I don't really miss anything about WebOS except the font...which I'm usingt on my Epic Touch anyway. I'm sure ICS will bring even more improvements...remember who is designing the UI nowadays...

Beyond that, like WebOS before it, the BB Playbook failed miserably, so maybe the UI ain't a big seller...

RobUM2011

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Good luck getting ICS anytime before I'd guess Spring 2012. Samsung doesn't seem to quick with updates especially since they have to get TouchWiz onto it first. Hopefully for all the SGSII owners they do but I wouldn't expect it though.

It was my understanding this phone was being released with ICS sometime within the next few weeks.. am I wrong?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site

the market disagreed.

Reactions: ejaymd11

DessVZW

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

the market disagreed.

Indeed. And, Matias Duarte, who was responsible for much of WebOS, is now at Google using his influence on Android. I'm sure he was responsible for much of Honeycomb and, now, much of ICS that we'll see shortly (not that we haven't seen some of ICS already).

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I have the touchpad and claims that it slow are overrated . When it was initially released there were a lot of reports that the Hp Touchpad would intermittently stall, but with the upgrade that seems to be less of a problem. I have been using my touchpad almost exclusively for the past week, while my Xoom was being upgraded, and I have to say the webOS interface works well, and the card stack system is ingenious. The biggest problem that I have with the touchpad is the browser and it's horrible implementation of text correction and cut and paste. With that being said I prefer Android, I was happy to get my Xoom back and the TouchPad has gain become the device that I like to experiment with rather than use. However, I the the stack system would be nice in android.