?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this release."

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: ?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this releas

I have the touchpad and claims that it slow are overrated . When it was initially released there were a lot of reports that the Hp Touchpad would intermittently stall, but with the upgrade that seems to be less of a problem. I have been using my touchpad almost exclusively for the past week, while my Xoom was being upgraded, and I have to say the webOS interface works well, and the card stack system is ingenious. The biggest problem that I have with the touchpad is the browser and it's horrible implementation of text correction and cut and paste. With that being said I prefer Android, I was happy to get my Xoom back and the TouchPad has gain become the device that I like to experiment with rather than use. However, I the the stack system would be nice in android.

This. The biggest issue was HP's very aggressive system logging. Bug catching's a good thing but not when it becomes detrimental to the user experience. I set logging to minimal and it improved things immensely

As far as Galaxy Nexus goes, I'm in a waiting pattern. I want to love this phone...I do. I just don't know if I can live with that damn keyboard.:-\

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What keyboard? I didn't think its shown up yet in any of the ics leaks

I'm referring to the on-screen keyboard. While I can type at a pretty decent clip, I'm much better on a hard qwerty (no need to stop and keep fixing what auto-correct guesses wrong) and I hate how a on-screen covers up the screen.

Depending on the size of the screen/keyboard, I could live with one...I just have to see it for myself. For right now I'm seriously considering Stratosphere as "last-gen" as it is.

Lakhota

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site

I too have a $99 HP Touchpad. Have nothing but great things to say about it. I've never locked up, very rarely does it even slow down. I'm not a heavy tablet user by any means, however I will say it almost replaced my desktop for web browsing, youtubing, etc. I didn't think I would get use to typing on a tablet but I'm pretty dang quick If I dont say so myself ;) The app market is almost like a ghost town however, nothing of interest on there except a little game called Rednecks Vs. Aliens. Its not tablet optimized and the textures look a bit stretched, but it a unique game and very fun. Other than that, for $99 I can honestly say it knocks the socks off any android tablet out there ( and ipads ). Couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Back on topic...

I'm hoping what we saw either wasn't really ICS or just the tip of the cone (lulz). I'm really sick of having to choose between an OS that has a great UI but zero customization or a hideous one with great customization. I understand the want for a "Vanilla" experience, but does it have to be so BORING? I remember getting my android phone and couldn't believe how ugly it was. After a month or so of personalizing it, it looks worlds better but nothing compared to IOS. I want the 4.5+ inch screens, 1.5ghz processors and such, but don't want to have to deal with such an ugly OS or lagging app market. I hope with ICS and android's dominant spot as the top OS we can see changes.

phantomash

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm referring to the on-screen keyboard. While I can type at a pretty decent clip, I'm much better on a hard qwerty (no need to stop and keep fixing what auto-correct guesses wrong) and I hate how a on-screen covers up the screen.

Depending on the size of the screen/keyboard, I could live with one...I just have to see it for myself. For right now I'm seriously considering Stratosphere as "last-gen" as it is.

you know what? maybe Nexus Prime just isn't for you, which is totally fine really. There are plenty of other choices. There's no need to force yourself. Just get one with a keyboard, like you said, Stratosphere is probably a better choice for you.

Reactions: rickhamilton620

rickhamilton620

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Back on topic...

I'm hoping what we saw either wasn't really ICS or just the tip of the cone (lulz). I'm really sick of having to choose between an OS that has a great UI but zero customization or a hideous one with great customization. I understand the want for a "Vanilla" experience, but does it have to be so BORING? I remember getting my android phone and couldn't believe how ugly it was. After a month or so of personalizing it, it looks worlds better but nothing compared to IOS. I want the 4.5+ inch screens, 1.5ghz processors and such, but don't want to have to deal with such an ugly OS or lagging app market. I hope with ICS and android's dominant spot as the top OS we can see changes.

Nice another TP'er in the Nexus Prime thread! :p

on topic...I too kinda feel you in the whole "stock ui is plain" thing. ICS appears on the surface to be a step in the right direction..can't wait to see it on the prime.

you know what? maybe Nexus Prime just isn't for you, which is totally fine really. There are plenty of other choices. There's no need to force yourself. Just get one with a keyboard, like you said, Stratosphere is probably a better choice for you.

Yeah, I know. I just don't want to pigeonhole myself in a device that might not get a lot of community support, especially with the Prime overshadowing it. :/

soccerfon711

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

He's hypebeasting for sure. He better have the content to back it up.... or else! :)

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

I do hope that there are new features. Gingerbread was kind of feature-light, focusing instead on backend stuff. This is fine but the end user doesn't see it as plainly as new features. Android on phones has been pretty stagnant as far as features go since froyo, almost a year and a half ago. Meanwhile Apple and Microsoft have caught up, Google needs something awesome to get ahead again.

phishie

May 25, 2011
Visit site

If Gingerbread UI is plain I'd love to hear how you'd describe iOS 4.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Good luck getting ICS anytime before I'd guess Spring 2012. Samsung doesn't seem to quick with updates especially since they have to get TouchWiz onto it first. Hopefully for all the SGSII owners they do but I wouldn't expect it though.

I've only purchased one Samsung product to date. So far I'm satisfied. It's a tablet and not a phone.
As far as updates, they released the latest version of Honeycomb this summer before several of the other manufacturers released it for their tablet.
I'm hoping my experience when I purchase my phone from them will be just as good.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
If Gingerbread UI is plain I'd love to hear how you'd describe iOS 4.

I don't think gingerbread is plain, I like gingerbread. That doesn't change the fact that if ice cream sandwich only has a new ui and no new features for 90% of android users it not be very much better than froyo because skins will undo all of Google's hard work with the ui

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Wow there are a lot of nervous nellies in this thread.

Here's what we know we'll get:

1) A UI that finally takes full advantage of GPU acceleration, so we'll get a buttery-smooth UI like iOS and WP7.

2) Full multi-threading, so everything can take advantage of multiple core CPU chipsets. That will give us better battery life and moar speedz

3) A total overhaul of the user interface, including software buttons (in phones that support it), a better mode of app-switching, all new bling (various OS animations), etc.

4) A new unlock screen that allows instant access to a totally revamped camera app

5) A unified app development framework for phones, tablets, and Google TV - this might not seem like something exciting on first blush, but it will lead to better looking and more consistent apps regardless of device size over the next 6 months.

On top of all that, there's a rumored music store to go along with Google Music, even better integration of features with Google Voice (including MMS support), Google Wallet, facial recognition and integrated video chat, expansion of cloud storage and even more powerful Docs support, etc.

If they pull out another surprise or two over that, frankly I'll be flabbergasted. I don't know what the rest of you expect for 8-10 months of development, but I'm impressed. Especially since they had to do all of this while integrating code to work on all Android devices (tablets, TVs, phones, etc).

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Good luck getting ICS anytime before I'd guess Spring 2012. Samsung doesn't seem to quick with updates especially since they have to get TouchWiz onto it first. Hopefully for all the SGSII owners they do but I wouldn't expect it though.

Samsung has already stated that if you don't get the TouchWiz update for your Galaxy Tabs you won't be able to get more updates.
They're already working on TouchWiz for ICS.

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Uh oh.... Apple is going to sue Samsung and Google for describing their products as "Incredible," and "amazing"......

Here we go!

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

IMHO the only way ICS could be as "incredible" as he's making it out to be is to build a WebOS-like UI on top of android. Don't get me wrong, I like android and I'm happy that it will be less fragmented after this release but the UI could definitely use some improvement. Blackberry blatantly copied the WebOS UI, so why can't Google? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they added though. I also hope they update my Sprint GS2 shortly after the announcement. That would be incredible enough for me! :)

Then it wouldn't be Android! I'm tired of folks always wanting Android to be like something else! I like Android because it's Android. If I wanted something that looked like ios I would get ios, and if I wanted a webOS phone, then guess what I would get? If people aren't happy with what Android is, then go to the OS you wish it would be like, and save yourself the trouble. Android is Android, and shouldn't look, or try to be like anything else but Android.

Reactions: OhSoCheesy

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

He's probably referring to how much they've packed into the ICS update. It's going to be huge, a lot bigger than the Honeycomb or Gingerbread update was. They're unifying tablets and smartphones, it's not an easy task. They are multi-threading it to better operate on multi-core CPUs and have decreased the fragmentation of their OS by an incredible amount. NFC support, Facial recognition, you've got a lot of intriguing possibilities with the features that 4.0 is bringing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze