?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this release."

sblantipodi

Banned
Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: ?You won?t believe what we managed to get done in this releas

He's probably referring to how much they've packed into the ICS update. It's going to be huge, a lot bigger than the Honeycomb or Gingerbread update was. They're unifying tablets and smartphones, it's not an easy task. They are multi-threading it to better operate on multi-core CPUs and have decreased the fragmentation of their OS by an incredible amount. NFC support, Facial recognition, you've got a lot of intriguing possibilities with the features that 4.0 is bringing.

the problem is that honeycomb isn't that different than gingerbread.
honeycomb is a gingerbread with a revamped UI and some new features to support different screen sizes.

no huge difference like you think.

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

no huge difference like you think.

I never said Honeycomb was a huge difference. I said ICS is going to make a bigger difference than Honeycomb did. That's because yes, Honeycomb was pretty 'eh'.

BrianTufo

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

It was my understanding this phone was being released with ICS sometime within the next few weeks.. am I wrong?

I meant good luck getting ICS on the SGSII soon. My bad didn't express what I meant right.

DenverRalphy

Retired Network Mod
May 11, 2010
Visit site

Here's what we know we'll get:

1) A UI that finally takes full advantage of GPU acceleration, so we'll get a buttery-smooth UI like iOS and WP7.

Has this been confirmed anywhere? I know a lot of people are hoping for it, but I've yet to see any confirmation.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site

Has this been confirmed anywhere? I know a lot of people are hoping for it, but I've yet to see any confirmation.

Since ics is merging gingerbread and honeycomb and honeycomb has it, it should be in ics. Honeycomb tablets are held back by the fact that the gpu in the tegra 2 really sucks

koolbon

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

It is being reported that Chrome browser will be used in ICS, which was one of the things I wanted to see.

gdbjr

Banned
Dec 14, 2010
Visit site

IMHO the only way ICS could be as "incredible" as he's making it out to be is to build a WebOS-like UI on top of android. Don't get me wrong, I like android and I'm happy that it will be less fragmented after this release but the UI could definitely use some improvement. Blackberry blatantly copied the WebOS UI, so why can't Google? I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what they added though. I also hope they update my Sprint GS2 shortly after the announcement. That would be incredible enough for me! :)

Getting all devices on one OS will help with fragmentation, but you also have to get manufactors on board and stop will all the different processors. Unless the OS will elimiate the need for developers not worry about the hardware.

*Still miffed that I couldn't get the free Madden app for my Bionic that VZ was giving away!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Then it wouldn't be Android! I'm tired of folks always wanting Android to be like something else! I like Android because it's Android. If I wanted something that looked like ios I would get ios, and if I wanted a webOS phone, then guess what I would get? If people aren't happy with what Android is, then go to the OS you wish it would be like, and save yourself the trouble. Android is Android, and shouldn't look, or try to be like anything else but Android.

Android is .. functional. I don't know that very many people would call Android beautiful, for example. Just because the OS works well (and way better than iOS IMO), doesn't mean that it can't be more cohesive, have a more unified look throughout it, and yes, be more beautiful . Android is very functional, but in my opinion a bit bland and somewhat uninspired. iOS may not FUNCTION the way I need it, but it sure looks nice, has beautiful fluid transitions, and a tightly integrated, unified look and feel throughout.

One can enjoy Android, but at the same time aspire to improvements on it. So yes I am "happy with what Android is", but I still want it improved. I think we all should ...

Silent Patriot

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site

Did someone already guess dockable tablet sized screen/battery option w/possible slide-out keyboard? :p

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site

So far in the videos it looks so-so. Some good stuff but nothing that makes it an industry changer.

Getting the hardware acceleration of the UI going might not be industry changing, but it will definitely kill, once and for all, the ridiculous complaint I hear from a lot of the "iFaithful" that the screen doesn't scroll as smooth. I'm all for taking away that ridiculous argument.

Is it really that big of a deal breaker that the app drawer doesn't scroll as smooth???

scotty_pimmpen

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

Android is .. functional. I don't know that very many people would call Android beautiful, for example. Just because the OS works well (and way better than iOS IMO), doesn't mean that it can't be more cohesive, have a more unified look throughout it, and yes, be more beautiful . Android is very functional, but in my opinion a bit bland and somewhat uninspired. iOS may not FUNCTION the way I need it, but it sure looks nice, has beautiful fluid transitions, and a tightly integrated, unified look and feel throughout.

One can enjoy Android, but at the same time aspire to improvements on it. So yes I am "happy with what Android is", but I still want it improved. I think we all should ...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site

Having the og Droid I don't think I can call it beautiful. It was kind of boring but functional and even with updates it was laggy. Then I found launchers...with them I have all kinds of theme options, Icon pacs, controllable scrolling speeds, selectable screen transitions and display options, App drawer configurations and the scrolling is smooth. All of this is still running on Android 2.2.2. so a lot can be had using the right UI. I really hope stock ICS UI will look and operate great, if not I hope the launcher developers will come out with updates that will take advantage of ICS and improved hardware.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Lets hope that Google finally optimized and hardware accelerated every part of Android. I'll believe it when I see it. There's simply no excuse why modern Android phones aren't as smooth and responsive as last-gen WP7 and iOS devices.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Lets hope that Google finally optimized and hardware accelerated every part of Android. I'll believe it when I see it. There's simply no excuse why modern Android phones aren't as smooth and responsive as last-gen WP7 and iOS devices.

It's done. It was done in the 3.0 kernel, although (as noted) the GPU in Tegra 2 wasn't really up to snuff. And you've already seen the leaked videos...the thing is fast and smooth.

ejaymd11

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

And I'm not saying that it shouldn't be improved. It is always improving and getting better. I'm saying that it shouldn't try to look, or be like any other OS.

TBacker

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site

And I'm not saying that it shouldn't be improved. It is always improving and getting better. I'm saying that it shouldn't try to look, or be like any other OS.

I would agree - not totally like another OS, BUT why not look at what works the best (i.e. best customer experiences) on the top platforms and do something similar or build on that concept if yours isn't the best?

Within the boundaries of copyright law, it's best for the consumer (and, hence, the manufacturers) if the top 3 or 4 are constantly taking good ideas from other platforms and even other non-mobile software to improve upon and include in their products. I'm not talking direct copying - but take a concept and run with it.

I would much rather have changes be based on past success and customer feedback than the "developer-knows-best", "throw some new features at 'em to sell phones" approach (that happens in software as a whole).

The customer will always tell you what they want, and will reward you for at least listening if not implementing their needs.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

I would agree - not totally like another OS, BUT why not look at what works the best (i.e. best customer experiences) on the top platforms and do something similar or build on that concept if yours isn't the best?

Within the boundaries of copyright law, it's best for the consumer (and, hence, the manufacturers) if the top 3 or 4 are constantly taking good ideas from other platforms and even other non-mobile software to improve upon and include in their products. I'm not talking direct copying - but take a concept and run with it.

I would much rather have changes be based on past success and customer feedback than the "developer-knows-best", "throw some new features at 'em to sell phones" approach (that happens in software as a whole).

The customer will always tell you what they want, and will reward you for at least listening if not implementing their needs.
Very very true. Apple does it all the time (and then sells it to the world as if they invented them anyway). It simply makes sense to incorporate the best features that consumers desire, and some of the best UI designs where possible ..

GTX1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

It's done. It was done in the 3.0 kernel, although (as noted) the GPU in Tegra 2 wasn't really up to snuff. And you've already seen the leaked videos...the thing is fast and smooth.

The 3.0 kernel added absolutely nothing at all..

sblantipodi

Banned
Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

The 3.0 kernel added absolutely nothing at all..

this is not true, kernel 3 added better memory management.
my Linux VPS switched from 300MB of free memory to 400MB only with a kernel update.