What kind if native 720P apps will be available?

Mindphaser

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Long time Apple user here considering a switch but after checking out some qHD Android phones I have questions about resolution. A lot of the apps I toyed with that were third party had black bars or didn't fill the screen. Seems like they were built around WVGA. Others seemed stretched and did not appear to take advantage of the full 960x540 screen as well as they should. Will this be a problem for the upcoming 720P screen? I love gaming on my mobile devices and don't want to switch if the majority of titles won't benefit from the HD display.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I would think most popular games will support 720p shortly after release. From what I understand, Google is encouraging developers to make apps work for multiple resolutions, but that's still entirely up to the developers to do. Another question is the aspect ratio. I know that 720p is wider than WVGA, but if you take the on-screen buttons into account, the aspect ratio of the actual usable space will most likely be very close to that of WVGA.

How did the transition from the iPhone 3 screen to retina display go? It will probably work in a similar way for transitioning from WVGA to 720p.