Anybody paying full retail for the Prime?

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
So.. who's paying full retail for the Prime? I am, I just locked in at $307 for my Bionic at Gazelle (hoping the Prime drops in early Nov... have an old DINC as backup).

$307 from Gazelle is equal to selling on eBay for a little over $340. I may be leaving some $$ on the table, but Gazelle is no hassle and they pay for shipping.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Hmm not sure, I have had Sprint for years and going to pay the early EFT for my EVO (1 yr left on the 2 yr) and get out and and go to Verizon. I already have a Bionic and prior to that that 1st Droid on Verizon for my wife under my name already so being it is a 2nd line and a new 2 year contract I assume the price is much lower than retail?

AZAndroid

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Ill definitely be paying full retail but I will have a Thunderbolt to sell that might help a little bit lol. Ok I probably would have to pay someone to take it off my hands.

Either way I have been saving up and just landed a new job so im going to treat my self with an Ice Cream Sandwich.. device..Seriously cant even wait. I would pay 699.99 tomorrow if need be thats how much ive saved just for this phone..

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
99% of the time they are either $549 or $599 retail. I'd lean toward it being $599, so with taxes that's about $650 for me, or zero with my employee discount :p

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'll be paying full retail. I hope Amazon sells it so I don't have to pay that extra 10% in sales tax.

Sent from my Google Nexus S

GrillMouster

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I've had VZW for years. They're the best network in our area. We've got a killer discount on service with them and we're grandfathered into unlimited data plans. For those reasons, I can't imagine that I'd switch carriers any time in the next few years. Therefore, I my as well take advantage of the discounted pricing. My wife and I both are eligible for upgrades right now, so I'll likely upgrade my line to the Nexus and give her my DX. A year later I'll upgrade her line. This way, every year I can get the latest phone and give her my hand-me-down. She's okay with that.

AZAndroid

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
99% of the time they are either $549 or $599 retail. I'd lean toward it being $599, so with taxes that's about $650 for me, or zero with my employee discount :p
haha you're a lucky man.. The only reason I put 750 to the side for the phone was in the faint possibility that Verizon pulls some crap like they did with the Thunderbolt at launch. Didn't it go for 729 or some ridiculous number like that? Either way I should be ok and have some room for some accessories maybe. I havent been this excited about a device, ever and I am a huge phone nerd. lol

It's LTE, HD screen, pure google, and ice cream sandwich. Yeah I guess thats why im this excited haha

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
$305 for the bionic. This reminds me that android devices lose value fast compared to iphone.

It doesn't hurt that the iPhone costs more to begin with.

The 32gb 4S is $749 at full retail compared to a most probable $549-$599 for the Prime. $589 currently for the Bionic.

MikeNY

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I have been getting a new phone with Sprint at the end of the 1st year ofa 2 year contract for ages but that is no longer something they offer. For someone like me who likes to get a new phone every 12-15 months (technology moves fast) does it pay to pay full retail, sell it and avoid any EFT's with Verizon? Trying to figure out what is more cost effective. Go with a 2 yr contract price then after a year pay the EFT and get a new phone or just pay full retail. Not sure which nets a better savings.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I have been getting a new phone with Sprint at the end of the 1st year ofa 2 year contract for ages but that is no longer something they offer. For someone like me who likes to get a new phone every 12-15 months (technology moves fast) does it pay to pay full retail, sell it and avoid any EFT's with Verizon? Trying to figure out what is more cost effective. Go with a 2 yr contract price then after a year pay the EFT and get a new phone or just pay full retail. Not sure which nets a better savings.

I always jump on the latest and greatest. Going from Bionic to Prime this time.

My reasoning is that if you wait too long to sell your current phone, it depreciates so much the your "old" phone is worth way less than half the cost of the new one. If I can recoup half the cost of the new phone by selling my current phone... I am pretty much happy. More is better when it happens and sometimes it does. In either case, its cheaper in most cases than paying an ETF and losing my grandfathered unlimited data to boot.

My example is going from a Verizon phone to Verizon phone. Not sure if you are asking that or are meaning to break a contract with Sprint to move to Verizon.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Bionic to this if the specs are good enough. The Bionic will be my backup so I don't feel the need to pay insurance every month.

MRW1215

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Being that I can't get the upgrade discount until December of 2012, yeah, I'll have to pay full retail price. I plan to sell my Thunderbolt once I get the Prime, I'm just hoping it recoups me a decent amount. I already have about $300 set aside, and I'm hoping the Thunderbolt can at least fetch me about $250-ish (it's in phenomenal condition, and I have the extended battery to sell with it). I wouldn't mind too much having to pay the rest.