Why do you want ICS & Announcement Day Countdown Timer

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
[countdown=10/18/2011 7:00 PM;It's ICS Announcement Day]ICS Announcement Daycount down:[/countdown]​

I posed this question last night during the post podcast hangout. Got some interesting silence, so I thought I'd ask here as well. Trust me, I love new releases and go crazy waiting for them, but I wonder if people know why they want it so much. So I'd like to know, what are some of the features in ICS, that you are REALLY super excited about? Could you list 10 things that are in ICS without Googling it?

koolbon

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why do you wany ICS?

It's the fact that we don't know what we are getting. :) We know we are getting something new and likely better, but not sure what they are. That's what drives everyone crazy I think.

Noble.Four

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I want it because I am tired of getting into discussions with my iOS friends and admitting to them that I think iOS is more polished. So I am ready for the software to catch up with all the badass hardware we have on Android. I love Android, I love the UI, I would never buy an iPhone. But it does has some shortcomings as an OS. And I can't wait to see what ICS will bring to make those shortcomings nonexistent. I can list ten rumored things, maybe, off the top of my head. One of the biggest things, too, is having Android TABLETS actually run highly optimized software. I personally do not think Honeycomb should be called anything but an open Beta.

1. Obviously, UI overhaul. Incorportation of the Honeycomb look.

2. Hardware acceleration--hopefully will bring it on par with the smoothness of iOS.

3. Multi-core support (fully). Tired of having a dual core phone, and having that second core be more for me to say, "I have a second core!!" than for any outrageous performance increase. Dual core Android phones are faster than single core phones, but not twice as fast or twice as smooth.

4. Unification of tablet and phone OS. Make the OS more seamless and fluid. Less "fragmented" (sorry for the Apple buzzword). Exciting possibilities of having my phone and tablet communicate and trade off information in ways I can't even imagine right now.

5. Open source again! Meaning better custom ROMs and community support for tablets.

6. Facial recognition. Just cause!

7. Google apps being updated to ICS status! New Gmail, talk, etc.

8. That nifty recent apps menu from Honeycomb!

9. Possibilities Google Home could bring into the world.

10. Because it is new, and I want it!

Okay so making that list was harder than I thought, and I am sure I missed plenty of things. But I am generally just excited to think it is time for Android to step ahead of iOS in the general public's eyes.

dbbude

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site

I am not sure what is in it that will make it "better". I am jumping into a new phone though and get nervous with OS upgrades....concerned they will crash phone or cause problems. Think it would be best to have new system on new phone, at least for a while.....

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Here is my request, quick customizable battery toggle buttons that set multiple profiles to make it easy to adjust power consumption.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site

Because Android is still too slow and is crippling the amazing hardware in the phones.

BSG75

Custom User Title
May 11, 2010
Visit site

It's not always about knowing what's in it, that is part of the intrigue.

I want it for my Galaxy Tab 10 because it's the tablet experience Google always intended. As for the Prime, I am just looking forward to a Google-powered experience with great hardware.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site

So I can build it and finally have an open source OS on my tablet. That, and cause I heard it makes you popular with the wommens.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

2 reasons:

1. Take advantage of my duel core.

2. Because newer is better. As an example, I wouldn't want to buy a new PC running Windows 95 when Windows 7 is out there.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I actually don't care that much about ICS for phones. Isn't it mainly about helping the Android tablets catch up with the iPad by increasing their software library?

Thanks, Robrecht

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Can't wait to find out what changes it will bring to the Android experience.
I'm just hoping it's not full of bugs when released.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Why do you want ICS?

Lol, I think I've had to type out a list like this in like 3 or 4 different threads now.

1) Full hardware acceleration of the UI. Really looking forward to iOS and WP7-like smoothness.

2) Full multi-threading. Cause you know, it sort of sucks to not take advantage of all those extra horses under the hood (also better battery life as a result).

3) The new app switcher for multitasking (and better multi-tasking...see number 2).

4) The soft buttons - I know they aren't for everyone (especially if your phone has hardware buttons) but getting more screen space when it counts most will be awesome.

5) New widget/app drawer looks awesome

6) The new animations in the UI may not be a killer feature, but new eye candy is always fun.

7) More speculative, but getting Chrome (or at least Chrome syncing) would be killer. So would the emergence of the rumored music store.

8) Google Wallet out of the box.

9) Scrolling widgets, more slots for apps on the bottom dock area, other general improvements.

10) How much better apps will get over time (like 6-12 months) as they take advantage of the scaling tools in ICS, as larger ones (like games) take advantage of multi-threading, and as I can use the same ones across tablets, phones, TVs, etc.

That's the main stuff off hand. I'm sure there will be some other cool stuff, like maybe a bigger push with Anrdoid@home, or perhaps some things that haven't been guessed at/leaked. But honestly this seems like the biggest overhaul in quite a while, if not ever (for Android).

estebancam

May 7, 2010
Visit site

I think its about time that Android gets a nice facelift. The only operating system that has received a full facelift, and for good reason, has been blackberry. Android, to me, has looked the same since its launch, with the exception of the skins that manufacturers sometimes place on them. Ice Cream Sandwhich, from I can tell, will bring newness to the platform; make it look a bit newer. I don't really know if that "leaked" video of ICS was real or fake, but all I know is that right after seeing that, my device running Froyo (Fascinate) feels a little old.... software wise.

Also, I am very excited at the new features and UI glances that ICS is promising to bring. I hope I am not disappointed, but something tells me I won't be. Something tells me that I will be even more impressed than what I think when Samsung and Google announce it come Tuesday.

Google hasn't disappointed me with their releases as of yet. I highly doubt this will be a disappointment.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
We can brag to every other android owner that we have ics and you don't neener, neener :p

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

CynicX

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

I love Honeycomb, so seeing something similar come to a phone is what I've been waiting for. I think this will eventually give a better tablet experience due to more attention and updates.

Hearthatvoiceagain

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

Cory, since this is a question about ICS isn't it in the wrong forum? :D:D:D

Actually it is an interesting question, how many people would be interested in the prime if it was released with Gingerbread?

anyway back on topic

1. Because it is the latest version of Android. Each version has improved Android (and I remember 1.0 on my G1) why would you not want the latest version?
2. Because the features we know about, duel core support, hardware acceleration, will make the Prime an even better phone then it would have been.
3. NFC. Not a lot of it about, especially here in the UK,but likely to be more during this phones lifetime.
4. Updated Google Apps and system apps.
5. Unknown Stuff. there is likely a feature or two we don't know about, so I can't say that I will want or use them, but it's new and shiny so I wan't it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke