My current slab phone stays in a little pocket on the side of my workpants about mid-thigh. A few times a day I catch myself leaning against things but stop before I put full weight on the device. I worry that a curved screen would be more prone to damage with similar amounts of pressure applied to the back of the phone.

Any thoughts on this?

TJH
    10-15-2011 02:09 AM
    Get a case maybe

sent from my thunderbolt
    10-15-2011 02:14 AM
    The curve is not extreme enough to warrant your concern.
    10-15-2011 02:31 AM
    what's the big deal about it being curved anyway? are there any benefits to it? because making it curved just adds thickness to the entire phone.
    10-15-2011 02:57 AM
    go to best buy try holding a nexus s and see if the curve is going to bother you
    or you can go ahead and try to put it in ur pocket to see how it would feel but i wouldnt try it
    10-15-2011 03:02 AM
    Is it the same amount of curvature as the Nexus S? Looks to me like it is curved more, but someone said that promotional photo was exaggerated.
    10-15-2011 05:46 AM
    Because the back is also curved, will it wobble and rock while touching the screen laying on a flat surface? That would drive me crazy.
    10-15-2011 07:25 AM
    Because the back is also curved, will it wobble and rock while touching the screen laying on a flat surface? That would drive me crazy.
    I don't think so. My epic had a decent curve in the back and didn't rock. It also matters how its curved. Since it'll be flat across on the top and bottom, it shouldn't rock.
    10-15-2011 07:31 AM
    If you look at the profile there are bumps that should allow it to lie flat on the back:

Of course one it's actually out you'll be able to know for sure.
    10-15-2011 07:47 AM
    go to best buy try holding a nexus s and see if the curve is going to bother you
    or you can go ahead and try to put it in ur pocket to see how it would feel but i wouldnt try it
    I do carry my phone in my pocket and have done this. I really feel like a dork with the security coil cord coming out of my pocket.
    10-15-2011 08:30 AM
    I'm still not sold on the reason for curving the display. I hear it said that it is designed to fit your head better when on a call. But I personally don't hold the device so that it touches my face. Especially on a hot day. I don't like sweat/oils griming the touch screen. The only portion that actually makes contact is the speaker which touches my ear.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    10-15-2011 02:44 PM
    Man all these treads worried about the curve... smh. You won't even notice it.. it is the same as the nexus s 's curve.. feels nice against your face. Won't notice it in your pocket
    10-15-2011 02:47 PM
    what's the big deal about it being curved anyway? are there any benefits to it? because making it curved just adds thickness to the entire phone.
    The benefits of it is that it fits better on the face and how does it make the phone thicker. Picture the phone as just a piece of paper that you bend. Does the paper get thicker?
    10-15-2011 07:47 PM
    I don't think so. My epic had a decent curve in the back and didn't rock. It also matters how its curved. Since it'll be flat across on the top and bottom, it shouldn't rock.
    That's the wrong kind of example, the Epic caves IN where it doesn't touch the surface whereas the Nexus S and Nexus Prime cave OUT.
    10-15-2011 07:49 PM
    I think it looks cool...does that count as a benefit?
    Officerpolabear likes this.
    10-15-2011 07:57 PM
    It doesn't really do too much. I mean it looks great and from my experience with the Nexus S, it feels very natural in the hands don't know how much that would change with a buffer screen, but I don't see there being much of a con to having a curve display.
    10-15-2011 08:01 PM
    That's the wrong kind of example, the Epic caves IN where it doesn't touch the surface whereas the Nexus S and Nexus Prime cave OUT.
    doesn't matter. The chin is more pronounced than the curve. It will still be "in" even though the curve is out.
    10-15-2011 09:34 PM
    doesn't matter. The chin is more pronounced than the curve. It will still be "in" even though the curve is out.
    The Epic rests on two points, not just at the chin (the camera and said chin). The Nexus S from what I've seen, just rests on one point but I'm guessing near the middle of the back of the phone it flattens, losing it's curvature.
    10-15-2011 10:15 PM
    If you don't like the curve, get a different phone. It's not like they're going to change it.
    10-15-2011 10:56 PM
    The benefits of it is that it fits better on the face and how does it make the phone thicker. Picture the phone as just a piece of paper that you bend. Does the paper get thicker?
    technically not thicker but takes up more space than necessary. if you have it bent and rigid, the space it would take up would be more than if it was just flat, there would be space under the the curve that's not utilized. if you put an object on top of a flat object vs, on top of a bent rigid object, object on top of the bent rigid object would rise higher effectively taking up more usable space than necessary.
    10-16-2011 01:56 AM
    ...the Epic caves IN ....Nexus S and Nexus Prime cave OUT.
    how about convex and concave?

on the road
    Officerpolabear likes this.
    10-16-2011 02:04 AM
    technically not thicker but takes up more space than necessary. if you have it bent and rigid, the space it would take up would be more than if it was just flat, there would be space under the the curve that's not utilized. if you put an object on top of a flat object vs, on top of a bent rigid object, object on top of the bent rigid object would rise higher effectively taking up more usable space than necessary.
    Oh never mind. I misinterpreted your post. But still, at most, it will probably add a couple more millimeters.
    10-16-2011 03:43 AM
    how about convex and concave?

on the road
    Sorry, forgot my geometry vocabulary haha
    10-16-2011 03:45 AM
    LOL officer.... I too was intrigued by the geometrical specifications being discussed!
    Point is, the curvature is so slight on this device, it's hardly noticeable and really a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

tap'n
    10-16-2011 04:05 AM
    LOL officer.... I too was intrigued by the geometrical specifications being discussed!
    Point is, the curvature is so slight on this device, it's hardly noticeable and really a non-issue in the grand scheme of things.

tap'n
    That was the point I was getting at. I was just beating around the bush and then you just grab the bull by the horns Thanks.
    Did I just use 2 idioms in a sentence, wow I need to get some sleep!
    10-16-2011 05:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD