10-17-2011 05:10 PM
27 12
tools
    There are a number of signs pointing to the fact that this device MAY be called the Galaxy Nexus, not the Nexus Galaxy or Nexus Prime. I've been running this around in my head the last few days and have come up with some things I'd like to hear your comments on.

The Nexus line is considered to be the successor to the early Android Developer Phones which were basically the same as their retail equivalents (the G1 and Magic) except they were sim and hardware unlocked. The Nexus 1 differed from them in that Google worked with HTC to make a phone that was a showcase for Android 2.1 and also a vision of "what android should be".

When the Nexus S came out it was something of a disappointment to many based as it was on the Galaxy S which had been available for some time. While it was the first phone with Gingerbread it had little that really grabbed you compared with the Nexus One which was a major evolution in Android.

So now we come to the next Nexus and THAT name. It implies the Nexus brand, that Is Google's is taking second place to the Galaxy Brand, which is Samsung's does this mean this phone will be more Samsung's then Google's? I know that some people have even speculated about it having touchwiz.

Here, as I see it. Are the possible reasons for the choice of name.

Legal

When the Nexus One was launched there was some threat of legal action from the estate of Phillip K. **** since the name was, in their opinion, a Trademark violation of the Nexus seies of Androids in Dicks book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" that later became the sci-fi classic "Blade Runner". I can find no evidence that any legal action occurred but some sort of deal my explain why there was no Nexus 2. The **** estate may not have been satisfied with this, however causing Google to relegate the Nexus to second place to avoid legal problems and bad publicity.

Commercial

If this device is coming out on multiple carriers in the US and the rest of the world, the intention may be for it to go head to head with the iPhone 4S. Samsung's Galaxy phones are the only ones that have come close to touching the iPhone in terms of sales. Maybe the decision was made by Google that the Galaxy brand would mean greater sales.

Samsung

The last option is the one I like least. Given that Google wanted a new, top of the range phone for the ICS release and if Samsung were the only ones able to give them what they wanted, they may have exerted pressure to get their way and get their brand ahead of Googles.

All of the above is complete speculation and none of it may be true, the device many be called something else, but I would like to hear your thoughts.
    10-16-2011 02:19 PM
    So now we come to the next Nexus and THAT name. It implies the Nexus brand, that Is Google's is taking second place to the Galaxy Brand, which is Samsung's does this mean this phone will be more Samsung's then Google's? I know that some people have even speculated about it having touchwiz.
    Samsung's line was called the "Galaxy S" series. First they replaced the Galaxy part with the word Nexus (Nexus S), and now they're replacing the S part with the word Nexus (Galaxy Nexus). Seems logical.
    nemov likes this.
    10-16-2011 02:35 PM
    You have too much spare time. Those are my thoughts :-p

*customized tapatalk signature*
    10-16-2011 02:52 PM
    As long as it's a Pure Google, instant-update device on Verizon, I don't care what it's called :-P
    10-16-2011 02:53 PM
    I agree with Stang68. Worst case scenario is if updates do go through Samsung and it runs TouchWiz, then I'll have rooted anyways and will flash CM or something.
    10-16-2011 03:14 PM
    Because there's already a phone named prime made by lg.

The nexus line is supposed to be the lead device representing the best hardware and software. I'd consider the gs2's the best android handsets around right now. The galaxy name is familiar now and generally well received so they went with it. That's my guess.

I hated it initially, but it's starting to grow on me.
    10-16-2011 04:28 PM
    I think everyone is looking too hard. Not everything about the Nexus Prime or Galaxy Nexus have any special meaning. So please, we don't need to read between the lines if there are no lines in between. My English teacher gave us this poem to tell us the exact same message: sometimes, there is no secret meaning and to just enjoy it
    I ask them to take a poem
    and hold it up to the light
    like a color slide

or press an ear against its hive.

I say drop a mouse into a poem
    and watch him probe his way out,

or walk inside the poem's room
    and feel the walls for a light switch.

I want them to water ski
    across the surface of a poem
    waving at the author's name on the shore.

But all they want to do
    is tie the poem to a chair with rope
    and torture a confession out of it.

They begin beating it with a hose
    to find out what it really means.
    10-16-2011 04:39 PM
    It could just be that google wants winning the nexus bid to be more beneficial to the manufacturers by having the device also promote the manufacturers branding. This would lead to greater competition over who gets to build the next nexus device, provided the phone is a commercial success this time around.
    10-16-2011 05:22 PM
    if it had to have the words galaxy and nexus, it should be the nexus galaxy.
    10-16-2011 06:39 PM
    You guys...it's a name. It includes Nexus. That's all that matters. It's just the combination of two successful brandings. You can call it whatever you want in your tapatalk signature. I'll call mine Roy.
    Officerpolabear and ejaymd11 like this.
    10-16-2011 08:37 PM
    if it had to have the words galaxy and nexus, it should be the nexus galaxy.
    I personally think Galaxy Nexus flows a bit better, maybe google thought the same?
    wbonnefond likes this.
    10-16-2011 09:07 PM
    I personally think Galaxy Nexus flows a bit better, maybe google thought the same?
    no doubt, it sounds better but, i think Nexus should be first. i really could care less what the call it, i dont have to say its name while i use!!!! I liked Nexus Prime 100000x better.
    10-16-2011 09:32 PM
    Sounds like a great phone and so far I want one so...I really don't care what it is called, but consider some of the definitions of Nexus:

A. Connection between things or a group
    B. Core or center of matter or a situation

What's wrong with Galaxy Nexus?...the Galaxy Core....The Galaxy's Connection....The Galaxy's Center.

I don't care where the words appear in the title...and when we get it, and if it lives up to most of our expectations(first version of ICS is not going to live up to all..first version of any software is not perfect) most people won't even care about the name.
    10-16-2011 10:04 PM
    Galaxy nexus just sounds wrong. Galaxy and Nexus have traditionally been name pre-fixes (Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab, Nexus One, Nexus S, etc). A name with two pre-fixes sounds utterly generic like somebody named Mr. Sir. The name Prime gave this particular Nexus device its unique name. The name Prime is also appropriate since it will be the best phone available on any carrier. I know its not a big deal but I hate the name Galaxy Nexus.
    Foetus Burrito and kath00 like this.
    10-16-2011 10:57 PM
    Galaxy nexus just sounds wrong. Galaxy and Nexus have traditionally been name pre-fixes (Galaxy S, Galaxy Tab, Nexus One, Nexus S, etc). A name with two pre-fixes sounds utterly generic like somebody named Mr. Sir. The name Prime gave this particular Nexus device its unique name. The name Prime is also appropriate since it will be the best phone available on any carrier. I know its not a big deal but I hate the name Galaxy Nexus.
    My sentiments exactly.
    10-17-2011 12:53 AM
    I like it it sounds cool and futuristic.

Think of it Galaxy Nexud( Galaxy's Center)
    10-17-2011 03:52 AM
    Just seems to me to be a convergence of two brands to lend weight to each other, nothing more. I was actually hoping that they would have kept it simple with the Nexus S by calling it the Nexus Two. This one would then be called the Nexus Three.

Simple, and shows a clear line of succession. But then I realized it didn't really matter what it's called, the hardware is not the showcase here but the new version of Android. Anyways, Galaxy Nexus has grown on me and I'm starting to like it.
    10-17-2011 04:00 AM
    I don't have a problem with the name so much as wanting to know why the name was chosen (always assuming Galaxy Nexus HAS been chosen). Personally I would have preferred Nexus Prime or Nexus Galaxy. Think about this, when discussing it in the forums or IRL you could shorten it to the Nexus P or Nexus G whereas the Galaxy Nexus would be the Galaxy N which sounds awful (to my ears)
    10-17-2011 04:23 AM
    Double rainbow!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself
    oxymoron likes this.
    10-17-2011 05:08 AM
    Please remember that Google is an advertising genius. What did you cal your HTC Incredible? Your Motorola Droid X2? My point is most will refer to this phone as a Nexus, not a Nexus One, or Nexus S, or a Galaxy, but as a Nexus.
    10-17-2011 05:32 AM
    The way I look at it, calling it a Nexus Galaxy implies that it is a part of the Galaxy line. Where as calling it a Galaxy Nexus implies that it is a specific type in the Nexus line. Just my thoughts.
    10-17-2011 08:32 AM
    The way I look at it, calling it a Nexus Galaxy implies that it is a part of the Galaxy line. Where as calling it a Galaxy Nexus implies that it is a specific type in the Nexus line. Just my thoughts.
    There already is a Galaxy line and it's always Galaxy S, W, Y, and in this case Nexus. The Galaxy Nexus fits perfectly in Samsung's naming convention.

This really isn't difficult.
    dsignori likes this.
    10-17-2011 08:34 AM
    Nemov, exactly it fits Samsung naming convention. That is what I don't like about it. But, like I said really don't care just being picky. It should be nexus something.
    10-17-2011 08:58 AM
    G Nex is how I will be referencing it.
    10-17-2011 09:00 AM
    I can't believe this thread is still ongoing ..
    Mooem and Chad McRad like this.
    10-17-2011 09:01 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD